Food on All Ships Same?

Got off of my first RC cruise last month on Allure of The Seas... I don't have words to describe how disappointed I was in the food. I want to give RC another try, but scared because that was only 3 days and I felt so hungry at times. The only things I enjoyed: El Loco Fresh, a hot dog I got on the boardwalk and Braised Lamb and icecream in the MDR. My question: is the food quality just about the same on all the ships or does it vary from ship to ship? 

1 hour ago, Kaedis said:

I felt so hungry at times

I deleted my original post, as it might be considered a personal insult to the questioner.

Personally, I'd say 99.5% of the food I've had on RC ships is quite appealing and of very acceptable (or even high) quality and I have never "felt so hungry at times."

IME food is basically the same on all ships.  Love it or hate it, the food is created from the same fleet standard recipes and fleet standard items.  Nearly all ships are supplied from the same warehouses supplied by the same food distributors in bulk.  

If the food doesn't work for you on Royal that is perfectly acceptable.  We all have different tastes.  Someone else may love the food I dislike.  Someone else may dislike the food I love.  That is fine, we are unique individuals.  

However to be perfectly honest and blunt the food quality has declined considerably on Royal over the past 18 months, for my personal tastes and I do now struggle at times on Royal when I did not three years ago.  As a result the number of my Royal cruises has declined and I am now sailing other lines on an increased basis.  No one who loves Royal's current state of food should feel insulted by my personal views, we are different unique individuals.  

Ive enjoyed the food more on the smaller ships with some exceptions regarding some tough chicken served on 2 different sailings and more than once.
I've had great experiences on some ships (even larger) whereas others on the same sailing feel the food is cold, small portions etc.
If ti's an issue of temperature -let the waitstaff know the food is cold and they will get you a fresh plate.  If it happens more than once let the head waiter for your section know.  They  don't want bad reviews on the survey and will do their darndest to make you happy.
If it is the portion size you can ask for more than one entree.

I personally abhor the windjammer for dinner.  I've gone there after dinner when I still felt hungry (didn't ask for seconds) and the food looks less than desirable.  I ate there for dinner 5 nights of my 7 night cruise when I did not like my talbemates and the food still looked gross at 6:00 as it does at 8:30.  I thought 8:30 was just food left sitting out for hours.....

I wish all the ships had loco fresh.  I enjoy that.

Menus are basically the same on all the ships for the main dining room and buffet.  Some ships seem to have better kitchens than others.  Allure probably has one of the better kitchens to be honest.  They have tried to streamline the kitchens and menus over the past year with a major focus being on quicker service, quicker turn around, and less waste in the dining areas, and as a result, the food quality and choices have gone down in my opinion for these venues.  The only way around this on Royal is to eat at their specialty restaurants, but there will be an upcharge if you decide to go this route as they are not included as part of your base fare.  Also, the costal kitchen that services suite guests has higher quality service and food too, but once again, it comes at an added cost of having to be in a suite or having pinnacle status.

This is the problem with food opinions, people have different tastes. I think the hotdogs and el loco fresh are average at best and some of the worst food on the ships yet this is the only thing you liked.

I really like a lot of the food in most other places. If my wife cooked up most of the meals in the MDR I wouldn't have to cook every night.

7 hours ago, bretts173 said:

This is the problem with food opinions, people have different tastes. I think the hotdogs and el loco fresh are average at best and some of the worst food on the ships yet this is the only thing you liked.

Agreed, especially about the subjective part. I like grabbing tacos as a snack at ELF (not a fan of the pre-made items) but hot dogs are one of the few things I rarely, if ever, have on a cruise... and as many here know, eating from included venues is a huge part of cruising for me.

Different strokes...

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely subjective. I generally enjoy the food all over the ship. I think there have only been a couple of times where I had to complain about how bad something was and they replaced it no problem in the MDR. My last cruise was last year May. I'm going on Icon in October, so I suppose I'll see if it's true that the quality has gone down since then. I will say I HATE the new menus in the MDR, but that doesn't really have to do with the quality, more so there's usually only one or two things on the menu I am interested in now.

I’m currently on the 2nd half of a back to back. Last week our service was GREAT and the food served HOT!  I was floored.  The salmon left a lot to be desired-overcooked on 2 different nights the first week so In not bothering this week. On most ships it’s moist. 

last week the Caribbean chicken was amazing-like always, this week-sadly it was dry. 
I’d give Royal another try.  Reviews can vary ship to ship, or in my case week to week on the same ship.   I do feel smaller ships deliver food that isn’t “cold”.

On 1/10/2024 at 9:09 AM, The Fox said:

We don't eat out often due to cost and few restaurants where we live, so anything that someone else cooks is a real treat for us.

We're the same. If we do eat out, it's cheap fast food that's average at best. We end up enjoying the food because it's different than our norm. Personally, I like not having to do the dishes. LOL