Mysterious Dog Illness

OK. So I need to rant.

We have our final Icon payment due on or before February 4th for our May 4th trip. The plan was to pay it already, but this dog bug came along.

We don't have anyone who can look after our little boy. We usually feel pretty good about the petsmart pet hotel. Unfortunately as of right now that doesn't seem to be a safe option. Anyone else concerned about their dogs safety while away with this going on?

Keep hoping they will learn more before that final payment deadline. Just wouldn't be comfortable if I had to pull the trigger today. 

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Yes, we sail in late February and we absolute LOVE the doggy daycare place that takes care of our pup. They freaking love him too but we are getting nervous about this strange illness. Sounds like Covid for dogs. 😭

It's so true. It really does sound like doggie covid. Except my pet insurance only covers $2500 per year. I had a puppy in ICU on oxygen 15 years ago in a pet hospital in NYC and cost $5k per day. So I'm really hoping for a vaccine before we sail. Still totally 50/50 on making final payment for trip. How dogs traveling and being boarded etc for the holidays effects the illness nation wide will hopefully make a clear decision for us.  It's just hard because I care way less about myself being at risk. Just had the newest Vax this morning. I get on a ship I know I'm getting a cold by the end. But he gets stressed when he doesn't feel good. Ultimately being a good parent comes first. Lol. Time will tell. 

13 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

It's so true. It really does sound like doggie covid. Except my pet insurance only covers $2500 per year. I had a puppy in ICU on oxygen 15 years ago in a pet hospital in NYC and cost $5k per day. So I'm really hoping for a vaccine before we sail. Still totally 50/50 on making final payment for trip. How dogs traveling and being boarded etc for the holidays effects the illness nation wide will hopefully make a clear decision for us.  It's just hard because I care way less about myself being at risk. Just had the newest Vax this morning. I get on a ship I know I'm getting a cold by the end. But he gets stressed when he doesn't feel good. Ultimately being a good parent comes first. Lol. Time will tell. 

This is so tough, its such a hard decision. We don't even have pet ins and we really should. Is there any talk of a vaccine already?

We have someone come and stay in our home with our boys when we sail.  We, and many of our friends, have foregone show fees rather than risking taking our dogs into a show ring due to it.  It's very bad.  Have you looked into something like Care.com?  Or sometimes good pet sitter referrals can be found through vet clinics.

I wish that "pets" were a reason to cancel by insurance companies.  Yes, we always try to get "cancel for any reason" coverage, but sometimes I get dumb and forget about arranging it in time.

Local media coverage mind you, but in my neck of the woods this mystery virus is being seen in a lot of veterinary practices and starting to impact pet boarding facilities with regard to client reluctance to board their dogs. The sitter option might be something to consider, especially given the increasingly insane cost of veterinary medicine.  Once our cat hits the dusty trail to the Rainbow Bridge, we're retired from critters; sad, but our reality.

I'm with @SpeedNoodleson this.  Maybe you can find someone to effectively be a house sitter for you while you are away.  Often late teen/college aged kids do this and if there is someone doing it who you already know or whose family you already know, that's a bonus. 

If my wife's sister can't come and stay with the dog, we've moved to this route and frankly, I'm pretty sure that both the house and dogs are in better shape than when my SIL comes. 🙂

We are extremely fortunate to have a great neighbor that loves our fur babies.  She will come over several times a day and spend hours with them and will send us pictures.  We have tried to pay her or bring her something from all our cruises, but she fusses tells us it's not required...We do it anyways.  We do have some friends that don't have a great neighbor as we do and use Rover.com.  They have been extremely happy with the providers but now only use the same one from the service.  

20 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

OK. So I need to rant.

We have our final Icon payment due on or before February 4th for our May 4th trip. The plan was to pay it already, but this dog bug came along.

We don't have anyone who can look after our little boy. We usually feel pretty good about the petsmart pet hotel. Unfortunately as of right now that doesn't seem to be a safe option. Anyone else concerned about their dogs safety while away with this going on?

Keep hoping they will learn more before that final payment deadline. Just wouldn't be comfortable if I had to pull the trigger today. 

Does your state of residence have any suspected cases currently?  The media, both mainstream and social, is doing their best to play the hype wildcard and spread misinformation about this disease.  UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine in California has been interviewed by CBS news.  Here is link: 

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/sacramento/news/uc-davis-school-of-veterinary-medicine-weighs-in-on-mystery-dog-disease/

Bottom line, you have to do your best for your pet but I encourage you to use facts to aid in your decisions.

So we have 3 dogs.  For the 2 older ones, we have someone come stay at the house with them for the week.  The younger one does go to doggie daycare and we boarded her there.  She's had both canine influenza vaccines along with all her other vaccines.  Honestly, I felt totally comfortable leaving her there and I'm not too worried about her getting sick.  

I think I agree with everyone else, media hypes it up more than needed.  But I also understand how you feel because these are our babies!  Good luck and I hope it works out in your favor!

We only leave our 2 dogs and 1 cat with our vet's office. I don't know ( or care) if it costs more, I feel that them being there is worth whatever it costs us. Our one dog is very very old and or vet always goes over the options just in case he takes a bad turn and it's time to help him along. I trust that she would make the best decision for him even if we are out of phone reach. Total trust with them. Also they would take what ever steps are needed if one of them get sick. We talk about everything and then I write up a letter giving her authorization to do what ever she thinks about anything. She has me actually write that euthanasia is one of the options. She also has us give a top dollar amount if there is one. (  there isn't).

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

Lost my dog to a respiratory illness recently.  Progressed very quickly.  Had him in boarding for a cruise and less than a week later he was gone.  

It's not just media hype.  

Very sad, I feel terrible for you. Our beagle buddy passed 2 plus years ago. Devastating. We finally got a new beagle last spring Cooper. It's brutal losing a pet. Again I'm very sorry. 

I'm sorry to hear about your dog, @twangster

We are fortunate enough that one of our daughter's is nearby and is always willing to let our spoiled pup stay with her whenever we are away. (He's too much of a baby to for us to consider a kennel.)

She also stops in to check in on the cats to make sure they're not starving. (They're never starving, not matter how much chattering they do about the food bowl when she walks in the door.)

I do hope everyone's dog's stay healthy and happy. After all, dogs are MUCH better than most people!

I live on a farm with 5 horses and 2 cats. I have a farm sitter that stays here. If you’re on facebook, go join some of the local horse groups. Farm sitters post often or you can post looking for a sitter. Many farm sitters pet sit too. We have several that advertise that they sit all kinds of animals from farm to reptiles. 

Ideally you want to be the only client that week to prevent cross contamination. If the sitter is sitting other dogs, ask what kind of disinfecting/biosecurity they do between visits. Good luck! 

We have our daughter come stay for the week and she brings our granddog as well. I also pay for our pet sitter service come during the day when she is working. 

We used to have an awesome sitter, but she retired, but the service has been very good. They email us pictures and updates every time they visit. They also offer grooming and poop patrol, so that's a plus!