Star Of The Seas pricing

2 hours ago, putinbay said:

Completely agree. These prices are absostingylutely crazy. Our Icon cruise for March of '24 that we booked way back in October of '22 has increased in price 3 fold. Yup, you read that right! A 300% price increase! This will be the last Royal cruise for us. 

I get the Icon pricing. They started low or reasonable and then skyrocketed because it's the first new ship class in a decade. A new class ship with new bells and whistles matter when it comes to demand. I don't get the Star pricing. On the first day of booking the prices didn't start out reasonable and then skyrocketed, they started out already skyrocketed. A two year out Feb 2026 ocean view balcony was nearly 6 grand.  More than a $1k more expensive they our similar Icon cruise we purchased weeks if not months after launch for $4,400. It's not a new class of ship, there is already an Icon so there will be no major wow factory or new demand. Yet they expected more demand? and priced it like it would have more demand? Makes no sense to me. What's the second or third Oasis ship? I don't know. No one cares.

12 minutes ago, NoobCruise said:

I don't get the Star pricing. On the first day of booking the prices didn't start out reasonable and then skyrocketed, they started out already skyrocketed.

Why would they start low/reasonable? They can always drop prices later if they feel they're not selling enough cabins at the current rates. These cruises are over 18 months out.

8 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Why would they start low/reasonable? They can always drop prices later if they feel they're not selling enough cabins at the current rates. These cruises are over 18 months out.

Because historically you get the best prices on the first day they are offered. This is a huge shift in their business practice.

Just now, NoobCruise said:

Because historically you get the best prices on the first day they are offered. This is a huge shift in their business practice.

Practice, specifically for Icon class is complete 180 now. 

On date of release you pay 200% of average cruise prices... 

And then closer to the sail date, it goes close to 300% of average cruise price... 

And this is facts. Not just my BS. 

I was thinking whether I should pay on Icon release $3000 or little more for inside balcony... 

Now Star comes along and price of smallest inside cabin goes for around $4200-$4500.

It's not just ridiculous, it's pure insanity. 

I've been with Royal for almost 20 yrs and now, I have no idea how can I experience the best and newest what they advertise and build... 

10 minutes ago, NoobCruise said:

What they've done historically and what you would prefer does not mean that's what they feel is the best strategy right now. They are doing what they feel will maximize short and long-term profits... as they should.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

What they've done historically and what you would prefer does not mean that's what they feel is the best strategy right now. They are doing what they feel will maximize short and long-term profits... as they should.

It's price gouging and is generally considered a bad business practice because it alienates your customer base.

On 12/8/2023 at 10:23 AM, NoobCruise said:

It's price gouging and is generally considered a bad business practice because it alienates your customer base.

Price gouging is usually defined as charging higher prices at times when people have no choice but to purchase your product.  For example, a gas station charging $10 per gallon just before a hurricane.

Last time I booked a cruise it was by my own choice. 

I'd call this pricing the ship out of the market.  My guess, it will come down within the first year of operation. 

15 hours ago, steverk said:

Price gouging is usually defined as charging higher prices at times when people have no choice but to purchase your product.  For example, a gas station charging $10 per gallon just before a hurricane.

I'd call this pricing the ship out of the market.  My guess, it will come down within the first year of operation. 

Agreed about the falling prices. They will never site any numbers but early bookings on Star will be a fraction of what Icon did. And I wouldn't hold your breath for another press release touting record breaking sales or demand as royal did in the wake of Icon's sales.

As for the definition of price gouging what you cited was the illegal form of price gouging. What Royal is doing is a cash grab which is certainly price gouging.

Edited by NoobCruise
*wouldn't

11 minutes ago, Babsy47 said:

It’s interesting.  RC will need to sell 5 Oasis class, 4 Quantum class, and 2 Icon class every week.  That is more than 55,000  people a week.  Perhaps there are this many people who can pay current prices indefinitely, but it seems a stretch to me.  We shall see.

I think you forgot that either 1 or 2 Oasis ships will be doing short cruises. Do twice a week. 

There's still Wonder , Utopia and Symphony unaccountant for for the new schedule. Only 1 will be probably in NJ. The other 2 most likely short cruises. 

56 minutes ago, Babsy47 said:

It’s interesting.  RC will need to sell 5 Oasis class, 4 Quantum class, and 2 Icon class every week.  That is more than 55,000  people a week.  Perhaps there are this many people who can pay current prices indefinitely, but it seems a stretch to me.  We shall see.

At maximum capacity, and I'm assuming 7-night sailings to make this slightly easier (though it's not correct), the number you're looking for is 81,941 passengers to fully sell out Icon, Oasis, Quantum Ultra, and Quantum classes. However, it's been mentioned somewhere from Royal that they only need around 30%-40% of max. capacity to break even on ship expenses for their large, modern ships. So at 30%-40%, Royal needs 24,582 to 32,776 passengers across all ship classes mentioned, or an average of 1,891 to 2,521 passengers per ship. Not really that many people when they can draw on international visitors as well.

8 hours ago, steverk said:

I'm seeing this too with some onboard activities. On both of my Anthem sailings this year they had North Star and iFly on the cruise planner at $19 and $29 respectively and they sold out in a couple of days. For next year, they have upped them to $39 and $49. Guess what? They've been on the cp for weeks now and there are still plenty of spots available. I would have booked iFly with just a small price increase but they've gone way too far for me. I'll find something else to do with those $$$.

Another thing that is going to impact pricing and probably downward are after cruise reviews.  At this point it's all hype and expectation for Icon the ship and the class of ships.  Next month cruisers are going to begin sailing and the cruise line will need to live up to that hype.  I think they've really set the bar high for themselves and even when Icon is a really great new ship with some great new features, we're going to see tons of "It's not worth it" type of reviews.

I'm booked in a few months on Icon and I expect to enjoy it, but I don't expect even the teenagers are going to say this is worth 3x cruises on other classes of ships.

11 hours ago, Vlad said:

I think you forgot that either 1 or 2 Oasis ships will be doing short cruises. Do twice a week. 

There's still Wonder , Utopia and Symphony unaccountant for for the new schedule. Only 1 will be probably in NJ. The other 2 most likely short cruises.

Correct. Utopia and Wonder are expected to both be doing short cruises (Wonder just can't start until Star takes over the 7N's from PC). Symphony will likely head north.

1 minute ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Yeah when the heck are they gonna be released. Definitely want to book something for 2025 from Cape Liberty of course. Odyssey probably but maybe Symphony. February? Is that the thinking? 

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/2025_2026/2025-2026_Deployment_Opening_Schedule.pdf

Week of 2/12: Northeast & Long Caribbean

Week of 2/19: Short Caribbean and LA

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/2025_2026/2025-2026_Deployment_Opening_Schedule.pdf

Week of 2/12: Northeast & Long Caribbean

Week of 2/19: Short Caribbean and LA

Ok that's not too bad. We sail Anthem in late February. Actually works out well in the end, just anxious too book. 🤣 

Yes these prices are insanity. $12k for two connecting ocean view rooms (no balcony) on Icon in Spring '25! LMAO. 

But I think even the Oasis class ship pricing is pretty extreme. We are a family of 4 and we do connecting cabins....and only Freedom and Voyager class ships are coming in at what I consider a reasonable price point.

Even there, those are pricing out comparable to Celebrity.... supposedly the more luxurious line. Looking at spring '25.... S Class ships on Celebrity are less for us than something like Freedom. 

9 hours ago, Eighty8 said:

Yes these prices are insanity. $12k for two connecting ocean view rooms (no balcony) on Icon in Spring '25! LMAO. 

But I think even the Oasis class ship pricing is pretty extreme. We are a family of 4 and we do connecting cabins....and only Freedom and Voyager class ships are coming in at what I consider a reasonable price point.

Even there, those are pricing out comparable to Celebrity.... supposedly the more luxurious line. Looking at spring '25.... S Class ships on Celebrity are less for us than something like Freedom. 

Welcome to the boards

Just an FYI, connecting cabins will always cost more no matter the class. If you price two rooms next to each other it will always be cheaper. 

3 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Welcome to the boards

Just an FYI, connecting cabins will always cost more no matter the class. If you price two rooms next to each other it will always be cheaper. 

And while you lose some of th advantages you perceive from connecting rooms, in most cases you will be able to have the balcony divider opened up providing access between the rooms in that way.

4 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Welcome to the boards

Thank you. I have not found that you be true, at least on Freedom/ Voyager class. The connecting cabins were the same price as any of the others in that class. 

4 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

And while you lose some of th advantages you perceive from connecting rooms, in most cases you will be able to have the balcony divider opened up providing access between the rooms in that way.

I would prefer that, but our kids aren't quite yet at the age where we are comfortable with them having access to a balcony on their own. Maybe a few more years down the road.