Wow! My excursion left 6 people behind

steverk

I've never seen this happen before. Have any of you?

We're in St. Johns Newfoundland with a 3:30 all aboard time. My Royal Caribbean shore excursion stopped at the Rooms Museum and we were allowed just under an hour to self explore. The guide told us to be back on the bus at 2:45 or 2:50.

I was back at 2:45. At 2:46, the guide noted that at least 6 people were missing.  He said, they can catch an uber, walk or just miss the boat. And then he instructed the driver to leave!

When we mentioned this wasn't cool he said they need to understand the importance of schedule. 

I've never seen anything like this before. Have you?

4 minutes ago, JimnKathy said:

No way I'd take an excursion with that tight of a timeframe to make the all aboard time....simply zero room for error if it was a non-RCL promoted excursion.

Just out of curiosity, how far away is that museum from the ship?

It appears it was an RCL shore excursion... (at least that's what OP indicated in their initial post).  

Agree... one minute grace period not long enough given there was some ambiguity as to when you were supposed to return.  If I was one of the stranded passengers I'd be furious! 

That is insane. I've been on a lot of Royal excursions. Unfortunately, guests are always late to get back to the meeting point/bus (and it's often the same guests over and over). We often have to wait 5-10 minutes for everyone to decide to make their way back or someone will know where they are (liquor tastings!) and run to get them. An experienced guide knows these things and builds in time for it. And also - pissing people off is not good for tips!

55 minutes ago, Uncwmark said:

Agree... one minute grace period not long enough given there was some ambiguity as to when you were supposed to return.  If I was one of the stranded passengers I'd be furious! 

Actually,  it wasn't even a 1 minute grce period.  He said 2:45 or 2:50. So, you could argue he left 4 minutes early!

Took the Disney Shuttle from Port Canaveral - 2 buses. Our driver told us if one bus filled up before the scheduled 7pm departure time, it would leave, the other would stay til 7pm.  They also gave us business cards with a number on it for emergencies - and we did, in fact, wait a few minutes (no more than 10) for one family that called and said, "Don't leave, we're almost there!"  Leaving before the specified time of 250, if that's what people were told, is unfair

7 hours ago, FloatyBoaty said:

That is insane. I've been on a lot of Royal excursions. Unfortunately, guests are always late to get back to the meeting point/bus (and it's often the same guests over and over). We often have to wait 5-10 minutes for everyone to decide to make their way back or someone will know where they are (liquor tastings!) and run to get them. An experienced guide knows these things and builds in time for it. And also - pissing people off is not good for tips!

When you say "and it's often the same guests over and over," or you referring to guest at liquor tastings?

17 minutes ago, tjcruisers said:

Usually the people from NL are very friendly and laid back. Surprised they didn't give them a few extra minutes. Were these guests late getting back on the bus at the other stops? Looks like the museum is only 4km from the port, they could have left at 3:15 and still made boarding time

Some had been late and some had not.

The distance wasn't far. The bus took a pretty long route that was probably about 4km. If you were walking a more direct path I doubt it would have been more than 1km.

Like I said, it's very strange and I think Royal is going to have a "discussion" with the tour operator. I wouldn't want to be the guide who has to explain why this was necessary when the all aboard the wasn't until 3:30 and the ship didn't actually leave until after 4

13 hours ago, Kevin C said:

When you say "and it's often the same guests over and over," or you referring to guest at liquor tastings?

No, many excursions have multiple stops.  Often the same guest is late returning to the bus at each stop which means the other guests get less time at each stop since they are sitting on the bus.  In the extreme case, they have to skip a stop so you miss part of your paid excursion due to guests being inconsiderate.

27 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

No, many excursions have multiple stops.  Often the same guest is late returning to the bus at each stop which means the other guests get less time at each stop since they are sitting on the bus.  In the extreme case, they have to skip a stop so you miss part of your paid excursion due to guests being inconsiderate.

Exactly. And by the end of the excursion day everyone that has returned to the bus on time is exchanging roll-eye glances because we all are realizing that it's the same group of people late to get back yet again. 

21 hours ago, steverk said:

Some had been late and some had not.

The distance wasn't far. The bus took a pretty long route that was probably about 4km. If you were walking a more direct path I doubt it would have been more than 1km.

Like I said, it's very strange and I think Royal is going to have a "discussion" with the tour operator. I wouldn't want to be the guide who has to explain why this was necessary when the all aboard the wasn't until 3:30 and the ship didn't actually leave until after 4

Being from the St. John's area, I do apologize for the way the guide handled this. Our people are not known to treat people this way, I'm ashamed. 

You're right, the museum is actually a short walk from the pier, all down hill from the museum actually. The tour guide could have waited and easily made the all aboard time.

If I knew the operator I'd personally drive over there and give them a piece of my mind lol.

2 hours ago, NewfieCruiser said:

Being from the St. John's area, I do apologize for the way the guide handled this. Our people are not known to treat people this way, I'm ashamed. 

You're right, the museum is actually a short walk from the pier, all down hill from the museum actually. The tour guide could have waited and easily made the all aboard time.

If I knew the operator I'd personally drive over there and give them a piece of my mind lol.

Thanks. I never thought this is representative in of the city or Canada. In fact,  I think he had a very bad day and took it out on his customers. 

I didn't get the guide's name. Too bad because it would have been good to include it in my post cruise survey. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is all on the guide, for sure. He said  "2:45-2:50" which means everyone heard "2:50" and he should know that. You always assume the people are going to head back to you at the time you said to be at the bus, because that's just how people are. My husband is that type, so he never actually knows when we have to be anywhere because I intentionally tell him incorrect times so we aren't late. When dealing with the public at large, you've gotta factor in these types of folks, and the last minute bathroom emergencies, and whatever other nonsense can hit.