travel insurance

@Pattycruise@Traveling Mike

I live in California, just in case the location matters for travel insurance.

By chance do you know if Allianz and AIG has an average cost when it comes to complete coverage?

Do I also need to be a frequent cruiser to make it worth have travel insurance?

Do I need an annual policy if I only cruise 6-8 times a year give or take depending on the year?

Has there been any problems where travel insurance actually helped and how fast are they able to help resolve problems as they arise.

I'm picturing a scenario where my flight was canceled or heavily delay, what would they do to make it right?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, appreciate and many thanks in advance! 😇🙏💕

I usually purchase policies with Allianz via AAA portal. I will usually buy insurance for any trip that has non-refundable costs of $1k or more (personal preference/limit), whether it's a cruise or big vacation. I almost always book refundable hotels, so I never include that in my trip value being covered. For cruises, I usually will only insure the value of the cruise fare, airfare and any 3rd party non-refundable excursions/ prepaid things. RC Cruise planner purchases and gratuities would all be refunded if I couldn't make the sailing for some reason, so I don't include those.

Cost will vary by: level of coverage, cost of trip(s) being insured, age of person(s) insured, etc.
If you're cruising 6-8 times per year, you would definitely want the annual policy rather than per trip. It will also cover non-cruise travel.
There's different levels of coverage, so you would need to look up each policy to see what they offer for flight cancellation/ delays, baggage loss/ delays, etc.

I use Allianz with an annual policy. Cost wise it doesn't make sense for me to book on a per trip basis. 

Mostly I'm looking for medical and med- evac insurance. It covers much more, but I've always felt that you should insure against risks you can't afford to take. If I can't afford to lose the price of a cruise,  then I should reconsider taking it. 

On 8/30/2023 at 9:31 AM, VillainsGin said:

I live in California, just in case the location matters for travel insurance.

I am also from California, Fresno.  I have always carried travel insurance and it would cost me anywhere between $80 and $150 depending on the age of my son.  Now I am a solo traveler and paid about $120 per trip for travel insurance.  This last year I purchased an annual policy for $259.  this year I have done 5 weeks on a cruise ship and 6 road trips.  All of it was covered by the annual policy.  The one thing about the annual policy is you cannot collect multiple times on the amount.  When you collect on the policy it subtracts from the maximum payouts.  they do have a number for issues while you are traveling.  I have never used it and am not sure how good it is.

Standard Packages

ACCIDENTAL DEATH/DISMEMBERMENT $50000.00 Per Insured
BAGGAGE COVERAGE $2500.00 Per Insured
BAGGAGE DELAY $1000.00 Per Insured
$200.00 Payout Limit Per Day
CONCIERGE SERVICES Included Per Insured
EMERGENCY EVACUATION AND REPATRIATION OF REMAINS $500000.00 Per Insured
EMERGENCY TRAVEL ASSISTANCE Included Per Insured
IDENTITY THEFT ASSISTANCE SERVICES Included Per Insured
MISSED CONNECTION $500.00 Per Insured
PERSONAL SECURITY ASSISTANCE Included Per Insured
SECURITY EVACUATION $100000.00 Per Insured
TRAVEL MEDICAL ASSISTANCE Included Per Insured
TRAVEL MEDICAL EXPENSE $50000.00 Per Insured
TRIP DELAY $1500.00 Per Insured
$150.00 Payout Limit Per Day
TRIP INTERRUPTION 100% Trip Cost Per Insured
WORLDWIDE TRAVEL ASSISTANCE Included Per Insured

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 12:31 PM, VillainsGin said:

Has there been any problems where travel insurance actually helped and how fast are they able to help resolve problems as they arise.

I'm picturing a scenario where my flight was canceled or heavily delay, what would they do to make it right?

Travel insurance typically doesn't help resolve problems. Some do provide access to a concierge that can help you pivot if something comes up, but you can also take care of most of that on your own.

What they will do is reimburse you for additional expenses you incurred because of a delay. So if your flight is canceled and you rebooked a new flight on your own, the travel insurance would reimburse you for the new ticket up to the policy limits.  If there is a delay, they will reimburse you for meals during the delay or if it's an overnight delay, they would reimburse your hotel and incidentals expenses.

Keep in mind that when a reimbursement limit states "100٪ of trip cost" that your cost for a comp cruise is $0, therefore if something happened and you missed the cruise, you aren't going to get any kind of reimbursement from the travel insurance for your cruisefare. 

What travel insurance is good for is the losses that would be financially devastating, which is the medical coverage component of a travel insurance policy.

We have had an Allianz annual policy for a couple of years.  We are in our mid-70's and the annual cost for our policy is just over $700 per year for two people.  

Our health is generally good, but three weeks ago I was hospitalized and discharged two days before we were to depart for a cruise, driving 750 miles to port.  Consequently, we had to cancel our cruise last minute.  I filed a claim with Allianz for the lost cruise fare and the process was very easy.  We had lots of hospital documentation and Allianz advised that the claim should be processed in 7 - 10 business days.  We are now at day 5 but we have not had any requests for additional documentation, so hopefully we will be good.

Eleven years ago we had a flight cancellation and filed a claim with Travel Insured, which took about six weeks to resolve.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using SafeTrip by UnitedHealthcare and it has been great. They have different options depending on what you need but they cover medical and travel and even lost bags. It is great knowing that we are covered medically while on the ship just in case something were to happen. It is also pretty cool because you can choose which days you need covered and it will give you a quote for that certain period of time. https://www.uhcsafetrip.com/

On 9/27/2023 at 11:11 AM, Riverboy said:

We have had an Allianz annual policy for a couple of years.  We are in our mid-70's and the annual cost for our policy is just over $700 per year for two people.  

Our health is generally good, but three weeks ago I was hospitalized and discharged two days before we were to depart for a cruise, driving 750 miles to port.  Consequently, we had to cancel our cruise last minute.  I filed a claim with Allianz for the lost cruise fare and the process was very easy.  We had lots of hospital documentation and Allianz advised that the claim should be processed in 7 - 10 business days.  We are now at day 5 but we have not had any requests for additional documentation, so hopefully we will be good.

Eleven years ago we had a flight cancellation and filed a claim with Travel Insured, which took about six weeks to resolve.

Follow-Up:  we were fully reimbursed for our cancelled cruise within the 10 business days by Allianz.  Very satisfied.