Last minute booking

Hello! Long story, I’m attempting (poorly lol) to keep short, we’re recently married and so excited for our honeymoon cruise on Mariner of the Seas in 32 days! The only caveat is I am retiring from my military career and beginning new endeavors shortly after. Considering wedding and moving costs, we relied on wedding gifts for our honeymoon budget (we were married on June 10th) and only have a specific time frame we can take our honeymoon, given our extenuating circumstances. We took the plunge and booked a cruise a little more than a month in advance, as we agree it’s the best way to celebrate our new marriage (and still have zero regrets or hesitation)! After much research and listening to hours of Royal Caribbean Blog’s wisdom, it has become abundantly clear we broke the golden rule of cruising by booking last minute! Any advice you can give on how to make the most of our budget with a last minute booking?

Congratulations and welcome!

You can (and should!) still pre-purchase things like beverage packages (if you want them), and dining (again, if you want them).  There are no shows on Mariner that can be pre-booked, so there's no worry there.  You can check now to see if there are still shore excursions available - book anything that you want immediately.  

I know others will have fantastic advice.  You're going to have a blast!

Hello @Bella Norlander and congratulations on your marriage!  Wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness.  Along with what has already been mentioned by @SpeedNoodles and @ChessE4…hopefully you have already checked in on the app to get your boarding (arrival) time at the port.  The next 32 days are going to fly by!  In just a couple more days your eDocs will be ready to print which will include your luggage tags, etc.

Two things I will mention:

1: You can check for sales on the cruise planner up to 48 hours before you sail…if you have purchased anything (wi-fi, beverages, excursions, etc) there may be a possibility something will go on sale.  Since July Fourth is next week there’s a good chance a sale is on the horizon.

2: No matter what…be sure to ENJOY every minute of your honeymoon!! 

Agreed with @smokeybandit--there's absolutely nothing bad about a last-minute cruise. You just have to be prepared that you may not get an early boarding time, prices are probably higher than if you'd bought a year ago, some excursions may be sold out, etc. But as long as you are comfortable with the price you paid for the cruise, everything else is, at worst, a minor inconvenience. Have a great trip!

22 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Congratulations and welcome!

You can (and should!) still pre-purchase things like beverage packages (if you want them), and dining (again, if you want them).  There are no shows on Mariner that can be pre-booked, so there's no worry there.  You can check now to see if there are still shore excursions available - book anything that you want immediately.  

I know others will have fantastic advice.  You're going to have a blast!

Thank you! We are first time cruisers and big drinkers! So the first thing we looked into after our initial booking was the drink package. The last time I looked at cruise fares it seemed I could utilize a lower tier drink package and pay for alcohol drinks individually for a better price, however, in post-pandemic times it seems that even our local dive bar is about $7-10 a drink! So the big question is, does the deluxe package include gratuity or should we budget for the gratuity? 
This question of course leads into excursions, there are still plenty available that we are both interested in, however, we are both well traveled military folks who have seen new countries on a whim. We love experiencing the authentic vibe of a new destination and are worried that by booking an excursion we would be missing that! Any experience, tips, or services we could take advantage of to avoid the hustle and bustle of the anticipated cruise tourism traps?

3 minutes ago, Bella Norlander said:

Thank you! We are first time cruisers and big drinkers! So the first thing we looked into after our initial booking was the drink package. The last time I looked at cruise fares it seemed I could utilize a lower tier drink package and pay for alcohol drinks individually for a better price, however, in post-pandemic times it seems that even our local dive bar is about $7-10 a drink! So the big question is, does the deluxe package include gratuity or should we budget for the gratuity? 
This question of course leads into excursions, there are still plenty available that we are both interested in, however, we are both well traveled military folks who have seen new countries on a whim. We love experiencing the authentic vibe of a new destination and are worried that by booking an excursion we would be missing that! Any experience, tips, or services we could take advantage of to avoid the hustle and bustle of the anticipated cruise tourism traps?

The drink package will include gratuities (you’ll see the full price in your cart).

as for excursions etc, list  the ports and I’m sure someone who has been there will give you some ideas. 
my tip, set alarms on your phones to come back to the ship on time.  They don’t wait for you if you are late and not on one of their excursions. 

17 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Hello @Bella Norlander and congratulations on your marriage!  Wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness.  Along with what has already been mentioned by @SpeedNoodles and @ChessE4…hopefully you have already checked in on the app to get your boarding (arrival) time at the port.  The next 32 days are going to fly by!  In just a couple more days your eDocs will be ready to print which will include your luggage tags, etc.

Two things I will mention:

1: You can check for sales on the cruise planner up to 48 hours before you sail…if you have purchased anything (wi-fi, beverages, excursions, etc) there may be a possibility something will go on sale.  Since July Fourth is next week there’s a good chance a sale is on the horizon.

2: No matter what…be sure to ENJOY every minute of your honeymoon!! 

Thank you so much for all the well wishes, we didn’t expect such a loving, caring, and helpful response to guide us through this new adventure! As I mentioned, I did a WHOLE LOT of research lol and the second I came across a video on YouTube I instantly took advantage of the app and we are all checked in and ready to go! As I mentioned in my original post, I’m military and as a consequence, I have this annoying need to be ready for things way in advance (hilarious! considering the nature of our booking) so just to be sure I don’t miss a thing (as I’ve been checking daily), where can I find these eDocs on the app, website, or will they be emailed to me?

Thanks again so much! And trust me, no matter what, I am certain we will enjoy every second of this trip!

I do some of my best planning...  at the last minute.😊

Congratulations on your wedding, and on your retirement!

When I was much newer at this cruise thing, I fretted about not doing something, doing something I shouldn't,  scheduling times, etc., but when the smoke cleared, everything came together well, every time.  I was lucky, I had a very experienced (in cruising) cousin that took us under her wing, and did all the work.  About the third time, she was not on that cruise, so I had to do it all myself!  Piece of cake.

And when Royal-sponsored tours are booked up or otherwise un-available, there are plenty to be found at each port, for less cost than the official ones.  Just be careful to get back to the ship on time.

Again, Congratulations!

3 hours ago, Bella Norlander said:

So the big question is, does the deluxe package include gratuity or should we budget for the gratuity?

Both. 🙂  when you put your DBP in the cart, the price will calculate from what you see in cruise planner but then will add 18% on top of that for gratuity so it will already be paid.  That's all the gratuity needed.  Don't be surprised though if you find yourself wanting to tip a little more.  We bring stacks of $1 and $5 bills to have handy to do just that.  Not necessary, not even expected so don't worry in that regard.

9 hours ago, Bella Norlander said:

Drinks 🍹are $14-15 each.  So the drink package is great if you plan on drinking a variety of drinks each day.  The package also includes bottled water (you can get almost anywhere and is great to bring to your room), specialty coffees, fresh squeezed juices, soda, etc.   For the water…when you go to the bar for a drink…ask for a water or two at the same time.

9 hours ago, Bella Norlander said:

We love experiencing the authentic vibe of a new destination and are worried that by booking an excursion we would be missing that!

My wife and I like to do some of this, especially on our first visit to a port. After that we may do something more touristy. What we have done to try to get the best of both worlds is book a private tour with a driver/guide who can customize it and take you where you want based on your preferences. This is something you'd need to do outside of Royal's listed excursions (which I already suggested b/c of price and variety).

Are you on the July 29th sailing? If so, you're going to two private islands (well, Labadee is a private peninsula in Haiti, but same difference). As they are owned by RC, there's nothing authentic to see or do there. Plenty of fun to be had though and the drink package works there if you purchase it.

That just leaves Puerto Plata and I've never been there so I can't recommend anything beyond searching TripAdvisor or asking in the Shore Excursion forum here.

If I got the date wrong, my bad, and please correct me.

BTW, my first ever cruise was also for my honeymoon 21 years ago. My wife sailed as a kid so it was all her idea. We had an amazing time and I learned early on to listen to her. 🤣

19 hours ago, Bella Norlander said:so just to be sure I don’t miss a thing (as I’ve been checking daily), where can I find these eDocs on the app, website, or will they be emailed to me?

The docs get emailed about 30 days prior to your cruise

you can also find them in your account, once they become available by logging into royal Caribbean, look at upcoming cruises and then click on “view more details”” and then you’ll see what’s in the pic  to be able to view your docs and print your luggage tagsIMG_6472.thumb.jpeg.0887faae65d1f070738b7a65ed05e4d4.jpeg

As a general rule, the drink package makes sense if you are drinking 5 or more drinks per day.  Keep in mind that you will generally be ashore on port days.  

If that sounds like a lot, I would pay by the drink.  If it sounds about right or you would probably drink more, i would get the package.  Mixed drinks are $14 (+18% gratuity), Wine about the same, and beer around $8 (+18%).

• 6 months later...

Great information.

Any other tips on last minute booking?  I (naively) thought the rates would drop within a week or two of the cruise, but with demand so high maybe that's not the case.  I am looking for a room on Freedom or Liberty Jan 8-11, traveling alone, and don't want a true inside room but I do enjoy the inside room with a promenade view. Those seem to be sold out.      Since I am within 8 days I also assume anyone who was going to cancel must have done so by now, meaning it's unlikely new inventory will pop up in the next day or two.  $1300 was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I get that traveling alone I need to pay a higher rate.

One more addition- I tend to avoid the low decks which seems to bump me into an even higher price category

16 minutes ago, BRETTB said:

Great information.

Any other tips on last minute booking?  I (naively) thought the rates would drop within a week or two of the cruise, but with demand so high maybe that's not the case.  I am looking for a room on Freedom or Liberty Jan 8-11, traveling alone, and don't want a true inside room but I do enjoy the inside room with a promenade view. Those seem to be sold out.      Since I am within 8 days I also assume anyone who was going to cancel must have done so by now, meaning it's unlikely new inventory will pop up in the next day or two.  $1300 was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I get that traveling alone I need to pay a higher rate.

One more addition- I tend to avoid the low decks which seems to bump me into an even higher price category

I'm afraid there's not much you can do this close in. If you can find something it's going to be a left over room. That usually means interior at the end of the ship.

24 minutes ago, steverk said:

I'm afraid there's not much you can do this close in. If you can find something it's going to be a left over room. That usually means interior at the end of the ship.

Thanks SteverK.  It is odd as I have been going back to cruise.com (where I typically booked my cruises) and there were no inside rooms, there some popped up (although true inside, not promenade view).  It seems like a few rooms are coming and going throughout the day which is odd so close to sailing and also they seem to disappear quickly.  It sure would be cool if the system would allow to to say these are the room types I want and it would grab on if it comes online 🙂    Wish me luck refreshing.  I may resort to a true inside room, I have just never had one of those before and not sure I want one. 

17 hours ago, BRETTB said:

Thanks SteverK.  It is odd as I have been going back to cruise.com (where I typically booked my cruises) and there were no inside rooms, there some popped up (although true inside, not promenade view).  It seems like a few rooms are coming and going throughout the day which is odd so close to sailing and also they seem to disappear quickly.  It sure would be cool if the system would allow to to say these are the room types I want and it would grab on if it comes online 🙂    Wish me luck refreshing.  I may resort to a true inside room, I have just never had one of those before and not sure I want one. 

I do wish you luck.  I've noticed the cabins popping in and out of availability. I think it is a small number of available cabins and a lot of people looking at them.  Based on my experience, and a discussion at NextCruise, I believe Royal will take them out of available inventory when someone is doing a booking and selects the cabin. If they don't actually purchase, it returns to inventory after about 15 minutes.