Royal Caribbean App

Tina73

18 minutes ago, Tina73 said:

Does everyone in your group need to download the Royal Caribbean App

Welcome to the boards!

No, not everyone needs the app. But it is much more convenient if each person has it -- you can see the daily schedule, send messages to one another, get reminders about reservations, etc. It also makes check-in easier.

2 hours ago, RayV said:

With the Cruise Compass now going exclusively digital, I am wondering if the app and the daily compass format is more adaptable in a tablet format. Has anyone had experience using a tablet as the primary device over a phone?

Many tablets have been blacklisted for the app.  

However the PDF version of the cruise compass displays on any device and I prefer it.

It depends on the tablet. I have it on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e and it works fine but I have seen posts from others on another forum who have previously had it on a tablet but are then unable to get it on a new tablet. One work-around mentioned was something called (I think) "side loading". Also, my tablet has a sim slot so I don’t know if that makes a difference.

7 hours ago, FionaMG said:

It depends on the tablet. I have it on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e and it works fine but I have seen posts from others on another forum who have previously had it on a tablet but are then unable to get it on a new tablet. One work-around mentioned was something called (I think) "side loading". Also, my tablet has a sim slot so I don’t know if that makes a difference.

I tried to load it on my tablet (lenovo) & DD's tablet (adult, but did not have a phone - various reasons), and neither worked.  We actually never got to sail with her, so didn't have the issue of trying to do the day before health questionnaire, etc, but I definitely had trouble with at least 2 different tablets

1 hour ago, Shaun530 said:

Where can we find the option to download a PDF of our cruise compass for our sailing? 🤔

There will be a QR code posted publicly near Guest Services and you will probably also get one in your room. It updates daily so just rescan it each day and by the end of the cruise you'll have all of them.

27 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

There will be a QR code posted publicly near Guest Services and you will probably also get one in your room. It updates daily so just rescan it each day and by the end of the cruise you'll have all of them.

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the change but I do hate to see the paper compasses going away. We're that couple with a paper compass and a highlighter on a cruise... somehow, a PDF or the App just doesn't feel quite the same.

3 minutes ago, Shaun530 said:

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the change but I do hate to see the paper compasses going away. We're that couple with a paper compass and a highlighter on a cruise... somehow, a PDF or the App just doesn't feel quite the same.

Me too. I take them all home in a folder too, as a souvenir!

But the good news is you can still get paper compasses. You can ask for them at Guest Services - just tell them you're technologically challenged (even if you're not 😂) and also tell your stateroom attendant, just in case the message doesn't filter through to them from GS.

And there is also (oddly enough) a place on the app where you can request them. If you click on the bar on the first page of the app that says "Welcome aboard! Hints and tips as we set sail" and then scroll down, you'll see a section that says "Stateroom requests are just a tap away". Click on the little "See more" at the bottom of the section and it opens up a list of things that you can request, one of them being precisely "Paper compass".

In full disclosure I have not had the chance to try this function on the app yet but I fully intend to when I board Anthem on Friday of next week (yay!), as supposedly it only works when you're connected to the ship's WiFi. We will see...

22 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I was just trying to have my granddaughter put the app on her phone.  She tried creating an account but cannot since she will not be 13 until end of August and the app says must be 13 to create an account.  Guess she will have to log in as one of her sisters?

I would love to see an answer to this question too. My 12 year old is wondering about this.

9 hours ago, Shaun530 said:

Guest services now stated to ask your stateroom attendant for the Compass.

that does not get you Day 1 though.  If you want a physical copy of Day 1 insist at Guest Services .  Also note you may not see your stateroom attendant in Day 1.  I leave a note on my bed requesting the paper copy of the Compass for the length of the cruise. 

5 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

I would love to see an answer to this question too. My 12 year old is wondering about this.

When we were shut down registering our 12 year old, we simply changed his birthdate on the registration page to a year earlier and he could register and use the app.  I thought it wasn't going to work because obviously they know his birthdate from the booking, but it did and he just uses the app like everyone else.

7 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Guest services now stated to ask your stateroom attendant for the Compass.

that does not get you Day 1 though.  If you want a physical copy of Day 1 insist at Guest Services .  Also note you may not see your stateroom attendant in Day 1.  I leave a note on my bed requesting the paper copy of the Compass for the length of the cruise. 

I was actually surprised on my last cruise that I had a paper copy waiting in my room on Day 1 without asking (and actually got one each day without ever officially requesting one). Not sure if it’s because I was on Vision (where they do a lot of printing of things, like photos too), or if somehow got tagged in my profile from asking on each previous cruise last year. But before it was requested from stateroom attendant when introductions are done on embarkation. 

‘No matter how/why it came, it was much appreciated. I’m technologically savvy, but still enjoy the physical paper copy. 

We just came off Mariner for the June 9th cruise. We had paper compasses every day. I asked our attendant and he said it is something he always does for D and D+ cruisers. He said that most longer term cruisers liked the paper compasses, so unless you tell him no after the first day, he would have one for us daily. He was an excellent attendant and very nice person.

J&S

9 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

We just log in as the adults on my kids phone. So my 11 yr old just uses the app under my name, you can log in multiple devices under the same name on the app. Even the messaging works, it just looks like you are sending yourself messages back and forth on the app. 

15 hours ago, Xaa said:

When we were shut down registering our 12 year old, we simply changed his birthdate on the registration page to a year earlier and he could register and use the app.  I thought it wasn't going to work because obviously they know his birthdate from the booking, but it did and he just uses the app like everyone else.

It worked! I don't know why I didn't think of this - so glad you mentioned this, @Xaa! THANKS!

...aaaaaand of course now she's screwing things up and just booked herself solo to go to the ice show the first night. I suppose THIS is why 13 and under shouldn't have the app. 🤦‍♀️