Leaving minors (teens) on ship while in port

Hello!  I have searched the RCL website, but can't find the answer to what I think is a basic question.  Are you allowed to leave a teen (i.e. 13-17) on a RCL ship while in port?  More specifically, our 16 year old prefers to stay on the ship and the rest of our family prefers walking around in port.  Can we leave them on board?

I appreciate you responses to the question and prefer to leave the controversy out 🙂  I realize this could become heated as to whether or not this should be done, but that is not the question.  Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Do you believe your teen is mature enough to be left to their own devices? If the answer is "yes" (as I suspect it is), then there's no issue. No different than the same teen disappearing for the day after rising, joining you for dinner, then off on their own again for the evening.

100% accurate!

Reminds me of the first time at Disney my then 16 year old son wanted to hang out at the resort pool instead of a park with us.  After I unsuccessfully hid my immense sorrow that he didn’t want to stay with Mom, I let him hop a bus back to the hotel.  I didn’t think he was gonna do anything stupid and, besides not enough sunscreen, he didn’t.  It is certainly allowed so if you’re both good with it, nobody will stop you!

25 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Yet your kids can't leave the ship without you. 

This is the one piece to remember. If your teen changes their mind and wants to join up with you off the ship, you will need to go back onboard to get them off. Minors are flagged so they can't get off the ship without a guardian (which should also give you more peace of mind as well!).

• 6 months later...
33 minutes ago, SueSails said:

Are the rules different about minors leaving the ship alone at Perfect Day at Cococay? I was hoping my 14 and 17 year olds could come and go from the ship without us if they wished.

I don't think so... I remember last time we were in Coco cay, I was waiting in the hall for my son to come out and the young girls across the hall, maybe 14-15, came back and were knocking on their parents door looking all upset, when the parents opened the door the girl said " they won't let us off without you"