Any advice for first-time cruise honeymooners?

Hello everyone! I'm so late to the party here I booked my honeymoon and have been so excited but did not look into pretty much anything else about cruises aside from booking! We are going on a 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise in 2 days (June 2023), and booked perfect day at cococay but almost all other excursions are booked. What are peoples favorite non-excursion activities on royal carribean for mid 20 year olds, when excursions aren't an option? any other comments or tips would be so much appreciated! and for any other future honeymooning couples to catch up on the comments after my turn is up! lol 

My husband and I did a cruise for the very first time for our honeymoon. Jewel of the Seas! We didn't book many excursions, I think just one, but what we really enjoyed was just wandering around the ports and exploring what they had to offer. Do some research on where your ship is going to be stopping, make a little bit of a plan as to where you might go in that port, and just have fun with it. Be flexible - You might find something that really sparks your interest. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Cactus527 said:

My husband and I did a cruise for the very first time for our honeymoon. Jewel of the Seas! We didn't book many excursions, I think just one, but what we really enjoyed was just wandering around the ports and exploring what they had to offer. Do some research on where your ship is going to be stopping, make a little bit of a plan as to where you might go in that port, and just have fun with it. Be flexible - You might find something that really sparks your interest. Enjoy!

Thank you!! Super helpful 🙂

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

If you really want to do an excursion, there are always reputable 3rd party vendors to book from.

Depending on the port though, there can be plenty to do right there in the downtown/port area.

Thank you! I hadn't thought about that! Any you recommend? 

You could also check with the shore excursions desk once onboard, they may have some openings for a limited amount of excursions, or with cancellations etc have some spots open, you just won’t get a “sale” price, but may be worth checking out.

our first cruise was our honeymoon and I can’t remember how we let them know it was (it may have asked when booking) but sometimes they’ll do little special things for people celebrating a honeymoon or wedding anniversary etc.

Congratulations!

Number one tip - save your energy and don't try to do everything possible on the ship or at the ports of call.  You'll need some of that energy later.  🙂 

All stops have great beaches and the opportunity to chill with the sound of the ocean waves lapping at your toes.  

Be back on board an hour early.  There would be nothing worse than the ship leaving you behind on your honeymoon.  

Take time to just enjoy the moment and each other on this special cruise. 

Oh, and check out the Love and Marriage game show on the ship.  

Congratulations on your marriage and best wishes for a lifetime of love and happiness!

Looks like you will be on Wonder of the Seas so there will be lots to check out on the ship!  The advice from the posters above should be helpful and hopefully you will get to do exactly what you’d like to do!  ENJOY!

Not sure if "The Quest" is offered on Royal. Been awhile since we cruised. But, it is adult entertainment and lots of laughs. Just don't volunteer to be on a team! And if you are going to volunteer, be sure have a sufficient intake of alcohol before the show starts. 😎

51 minutes ago, rjac said:

Not sure if "The Quest" is offered on Royal. Been awhile since we cruised. But, it is adult entertainment and lots of laughs. Just don't volunteer to be on a team! And if you are going to volunteer, be sure have a sufficient intake of alcohol before the show starts. 😎

The Quest is definitely back on sailings now, though “renamed” Crazy Quest. Definitely quite entertaining though. 

St Maarten is beautiful. The beach in downtown right there by port is adequate. The beach is serviced by hotel restaurants, water sport companies, and is an easy walk to shops. However, a 40 minute cab ride will get you to a little slice of heaven on Earth that is called pinel island. You have to take a small boat to pinel island once you reach your destination. The inward facing side of pinel is serviced by restaurants with crystal clear water and powdery beautiful sand. It's more of an endeavor to get there but it's worth it and NO EXCURSION needed. DO BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A TAXI WAITING FOR YOU AT AN APPOINTED TIME BEFORE YOUR RETURN. You do however need to plan time to return to the ship before departure. I'm assuming you arrive at St Maarten at around 12pm island time and then depart at about 8pm? Make sure you leave pinel with at least 3 hours to get back on ship. If you get there to port with no issues you can walk around downtown and explore or just head back to the ship and get read for dinner. 

St. Thomas has the world famous Magen's Bay. I've never been to that beach and can't comment. What I can say is that a cab will do the trick no excursion necessary just make sure you allow adequate return time.  However, there is beach a 5 minute taxi ride from the port, flanked by an airport, which is much undervalued. Lindbergh Bay beach is not often talked about but super convenient and beautiful. It has restaurants and restrooms you can't go wrong for an easy beach stop. ALSO, you can take a ferry to the world renowned St. John. Easy, no excursion necessary. 

We haven't been to Coco Cay yet but will be in August on same itinerary! Have fun!

Oh and if you have a balcony. Use it with ditchdoc's recommendation. 

Congratulations!! 

Congrats!! My husband and I will be on the same sailing as you guys tomorrow 🙂 We were first time cruisers on Allure of the Seas in October 2021 for our honeymoon!

I don’t have any recommendations for any port excursions (it’ll be our first time at St Marten and St Thomas) but my biggest advice if you do plan on booking through a 3rd party is making sure you’re back near the ship an hour before you need to board. You never know what could happen. 

Also, there’s A LOT to see on the ship so I recommend spending tomorrow exploring! There is an adults only pool and hot tub area in the Solarium (I believe it’s Deck 15). If you didn’t get to book any of the entertainment before the cruise planner closed, you may be able to do so on board at guest services or by hanging out at the standby lines before each show.

If you told RC that you are on your honeymoon, they may invite you to a honeymooners only event where you can free bubbly and dessert. They also gave away prizes too which I thought was fun. Hopefully they do this still!