Charging to the room if names are different

JenB

We are going with a group and it looks like we will be unofficially switching each other's rooms instead of the rooms that were booked with our specific name. For example, V, J, and Mel are booked in a 3 person room on the 8th floor and M and Y are booked in a 2 person room on the 10th floor. But if Mel, M and Y want to be together...how much mess does it create that your name doesn't match the room number? When charging drinks to the room, is it going to charge to the person's name or original room number or whatever room key they have? When ordering room service, will it charge the fee to the room it's delivered to regardless of name? Room steward will be confused? Am I overthinking this...I've never cruised before. (the onboard credit is different between the 2 rooms as well)

As long as one original person stays in the booking you can swap the guest. You either need to call Royal or have your TA do it. There would be a few issues if they swap rooms but don't have things updated because sometimes staff will charge the room before the individual person.

Everything is tied to your sea pass, which is tied to your cabin number. I would highly recommend NOT doing an “unofficial” reassignment. No one will ask for your name when making charges. have the cabins switched before you board and save headache and maybe a friendship! 

The un official change to cabins will be through the use of duplicate "key Only" cards that only open the room door and has no charging privilege.

All charges will go on the original "official" sea pass card of the person. 

Room service should be charged to the account of the room it is delivered to. I have never heard, not saying it isn't possible, of anyone ordering room service but charging it to a different room number

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Room service will be charged to the cabin number based on the phone number placing the call for food. 

I've never tried to change that default process, i.e. - "I'm calling from cabin 1234 but I would like the service fee charged to 4567".  

"I'm calling from my room, but can you charge it to Twangster's room? Thanks"

As others have said, it is tied to the SeaPass card, not the room. So when you check in online or at guest services onboard, you can change the credit card on file for each individual. That way, everyone will automatically be charged for whatever they put on their card instead of you all having to figure out who owes what at the end. 

As for the OBC, it will be tied to the names of the people on file for that room. So if they charge something, it should go against that credit regardless of whatever room they're actually in. (With the exception of the room service example mentioned above.)

We just did a cruise with two couples, booked the guys in one room and the girls in one room to take advantage of the C&A Balcony discount on both rooms (GF and I are D+, the other couple were first timers).

When we did our check-in's my GF and I were checked in together putting all charges to my card and the other couple checked in together putting all their charges to their card.

When we got onboard we requested an extra key for each room from Guest Service, those cards did not have charge privileges but let us have extra keys so we could get into the cabins with our respective significant others 😉

All charges went to the "right" credit cards based on whoever did the charging.

We didn't try the room service for example so I am not sure how they would decide which person's folio they would charge that to but my guess would be "guest 1" and the charge would then flow through to "guest 1"'s linked credit card.

The final statements actually grouped my GF an I as one charge and the other couple as a second charge even though we had crossed cabins.

RCI actually did a good job with the ease of that process.

On 4/16/2023 at 12:59 PM, JenB said:

We are going with a group and it looks like we will be unofficially switching each other's rooms instead of the rooms that were booked with our specific name. For example, V, J, and Mel are booked in a 3 person room on the 8th floor and M and Y are booked in a 2 person room on the 10th floor. But if Mel, M and Y want to be together...how much mess does it create that your name doesn't match the room number? When charging drinks to the room, is it going to charge to the person's name or original room number or whatever room key they have? When ordering room service, will it charge the fee to the room it's delivered to regardless of name? Room steward will be confused? Am I overthinking this...I've never cruised before. (the onboard credit is different between the 2 rooms as well)

You will NOT be able to switch rooms thru RC for this reason: Mel could be moved into M & Y room but it is only a 2 person room.  M & Y could be moved into Mel's room but V & J will not be able to move into M & Y room.  That is because at least 1 person needs to remain in their originally booked room. 

If you try to just move yourself, there may be a problem with not only the billing but also the muster station.  Yeah, slim chance of you needing to go to your muster station but .... 

1 hour ago, FireFishII said:

If you try to just move yourself, there may be a problem with not only the billing but also the muster station.  Yeah, slim chance of you needing to go to your muster station but .... 

@FireFishII your statement is not accurate.  Look at @jticarruthers post just proceeding yours to see you CAN move between cabins unofficially successfully 

10 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

@FireFishII your statement is not accurate.  Look at @jticarruthers post just proceeding yours to see you CAN move between cabins unofficially successfully 

You missed the part where she said "Thru RC" which I take to mean officially.

11 hours ago, FireFishII said:

You will NOT be able to switch rooms thru RC for this reason:

DD is booked in a cabin with her brother and cousin (all adults) but in reality will stay with us in a JS.  Can’t move her officially because it’s a 2 person cabin and the sofa may not pull out.  But I plan to slip our attendant a tip on day 1 and at least have him leave bedding for her.  Then we’ll just get an extra room card.