Two medical evacs on Allure (Jan 22-29 sailing)

Bowen

We had two medical evacuations on our sailing. The first was on the first night, we doubled back to get close enough to Galveston that the Coast Guard could come out. It was a 57 year old woman who had suffered a stroke. The second one was in Costa Maya, I don't know the cause, but the captain announced that we were waiting for an ambulance before departing. They wheeled a person off in a stretcher, followed by that person's family carrying all of their luggage. I cannot imagine having to go through such a thing and I pray that those passengers are okay. 

We had 2 ambulances 2 weeks ago on our port day in Progresso. First one met the boat as we docked and the second was similar in that we had to wait on the evac to pull lines and depart. It’s not only sad to lose time on a vacation but can be down right scary getting required medical attention in some destinations. Also $$$ can be unreal as most medical plans will not cover an expense out of the country. My SIL got food poisoning and had to stay overnight in hospital  while on a trip to Cabo and came home with a $10K bill to add insult to sickness. 

28 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

There was a group of women on my last cruise who told me they want to pass away at sea. I am sure there are a lot of people just like them and they go on cruises to enjoy their last days. 

Now there's an idea for an excursion. The "If I die at sea, just throw me overboard" package.

22 hours ago, Bowen said:

Not disagreeing, it's just shocking since I've been cruising for 20 years and can't remember a single medical evacuation ever happening. 

In terms of redirecting the ship I've only had it happen once.  In terms of an ambulance coming up and taking a patient/fanily off while we're already in a port I've seen quite a bit (just have to look over the side of the boat at the time)

On 1/31/2023 at 10:59 AM, wordell1 said:

It is a reminder to the rest of us as to why we need cruise insurance 

Not just any old cruise insurance that may have some medical benefits, but some legit, well researched, possible expensive international medical insurance with good evacuation coverage. 

I've never been awake/or noticed an evac but there was one overnight once. When I woke up the captain was saying "We had to turn around last night to evac a passenger in [whatever port we had just left] and we're pushing it at full speed so we can make it to [whatever port we were heading toward] on time."

I think I preferred that vs seeing it...I'm empathetic and get shaken easily if I witness someone in need of that kind of help.