New to Royal Cruising - overwhelmed by the whole thing

Hi everyone -

I've been reading the pages for a couple months and am still feeling confused.  Background: I've sailed 13 times on Disney and know the ropes (and ships) there pretty well.  I'm finding myself confused about what's included and not included with the basic voyage fare.  We will be sailing on the Anthem in April. Is there some handy chart someone has created with what is included and what is extra? I would totally appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much!

13 minutes ago, Dr. Facilier said:

Hi everyone -

I've been reading the pages for a couple months and am still feeling confused.  Background: I've sailed 13 times on Disney and know the ropes (and ships) there pretty well.  I'm finding myself confused about what's included and not included with the basic voyage fare.  We will be sailing on the Anthem in April. Is there some handy chart someone has created with what is included and what is extra? I would totally appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much!

14 minutes ago, Dr. Facilier said:

Hi everyone -

Thanks so much!

This will depend on whether you have a suite or not. Suites include more. Here is a link...            https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/cruise-vacation-price

25 minutes ago, Dr. Facilier said:

We've got a balcony stateroom  - which is more than we usually get on  DCL - the price was unbeatable!

Reading past reviews on Disney, the value equation is simply not there,,,, unless you are a Disney fan fanatic.   Royal offers so much more bang for the buck.  If you want real Disney, then go to Disney World  but everything is changing real fast in that domain too. 

I see you have people who linked answers for you.
So I'll share some thoughts on Anthem

Go to Cafe Two70 for the kummelweck roast beef sandwhich-free dining.  They also have a salad bar. soup and other small sandwhiches and salads there and if you want something salty they typically have bags of chips, BUT you have to know to ask for them, they are not displayed. In addition they have cookies and some pastry/cake desserts.

The lunches at Chops or Jamies are great, half the price of the dinners. You can typically find sales in the cruise planner. which is cheaper than buying onboard.

You can buy a coffee card in the cruise planner, if you like speciatly coffee.  It works out to 1/2 the price of buying the coffees without the card.  You must remember to go to the coffee shop and ask for it.

Northstar is free on port days.  Ask Guest services when the sign up opens.  On one of my sailings it was 8 am on the port day, on another sailing it was at 8pm the night before the port day.  I do belive there is free iFly, same thing..you can ask at Guest Services in regards to that too.

If you do not like the app you can ask your stateroom attendant for the paper copy of the Cruise Compass.  I feel it has more info than the app and is easier to see things.  They do have a QR code you can scan to get the Cruise Compass on your phone, I still prefer the paper.

Enjoy the ship.  It is beautiful.

21 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I see you have people who linked answers for you.
So I'll share some thoughts on Anthem

Go to Cafe Two70 for the kummelweck roast beef sandwhich-free dining.  They also have a salad bar. soup and other small sandwhiches and salads there and if you want something salty they typically have bags of chips, BUT you have to know to ask for them, they are not displayed. In addition they have cookies and some pastry/cake desserts.

The lunches at Chops or Jamies are great, half the price of the dinners. You can typically find sales in the cruise planner. which is cheaper than buying onboard.

You can buy a coffee card in the cruise planner, if you like speciatly coffee.  It works out to 1/2 the price of buying the coffees without the card.  You must remember to go to the coffee shop and ask for it.

Northstar is free on port days.  Ask Guest services when the sign up opens.  On one of my sailings it was 8 am on the port day, on another sailing it was at 8pm the night before the port day.  I do belive there is free iFly, same thing..you can ask at Guest Services in regards to that too.

If you do not like the app you can ask your stateroom attendant for the paper copy of the Cruise Compass.  I feel it has more info than the app and is easier to see things.  They do have a QR code you can scan to get the Cruise Compass on your phone, I still prefer the paper.

Enjoy the ship.  It is beautiful.

Thanks!

On 1/17/2023 at 10:39 PM, Pattycruise said:

I loath the QR code set-up.  Some local restaurants are doing it now. I guess it is not intended for old farts like myself. Nothing worse than trying to read the tiny type on a phone.  With that said. 

We had not sailed on RCCL before and went on the Voyager this past October.  My biggest piece of advice (at least for me) is to temper your expectations. I was really pumped and probably expecting too much in the post-pandemic world.  We had a great time, but the "fit-n-finish" was not what I remember in our pre-pandemic sailings. As time goes forward, I have to believe that the post-pandemic "hangover" issues will be resolved.

yes, the North Star & iFLY were highlights of our Anthem Cruise in 2019 pre-pandemic. Do them if you can - book in advance once you're onboard unless they now allow you to book these on the CP. We LOVED the We Will Rock You show and the others (can't remember the names) that they featured as well - shows are included! The MDR was really beautiful - Silks maybe it was called? Enjoy and welcome to Royal cruising!

On 1/17/2023 at 8:39 PM, Pattycruise said:

Yes!!! @PattycruiseROCK STAR answers!

1. Cafe Two70 is underrated and under-visited from my limited experience.  Go there and have breakfast by the Two70 theatre, which is steps away from the cafe of the same name lol.  It is MUCH quieter than any other breakfast venue, and the views are stunning.  The seating is lounge-comfortable.

2. Jamie's lunch!!!!! Too awesome for words!

3. Coffee card can be used at the La Patisserie cafe AND Cafe Two70!

4. Northstar and iFly are a MUST, free on port days, but only free once each.  On our trip, the head of the activities department was at Northstar and remembered us from our free ride up (I tipped him separately and generously for his great service) and he let us go up a second time for free.  I am not saying this works, and to offer bribes, I am just saying it worked for us and we weren't even looking to try--just at the bar.

DCL to Royal convert here... 10+ DCL and I was done, I tried Royal and have not looked back. Royal product & value for money excels in my humble opinion. The crew are the stars, they really want you to have a great sailing. They seem to be more invested then the Mouse Crew at all levels. Along with the above suggestions I would suggest purchasing before the sailing the combination internet and refreshment package, this way waters/soda's/mocktails are covered similar to the mouse. The internet is a plus here, but you don't have to purchase it. Then if we wanted adult beverage we just paid a la carte, we aren't big in that area. Cruise Planner is your friend, watch for the sales they allow price adjustments. They do provide some things lemonade, ice tea, ships water, coffee & some other flavor waters if you don't wish the soda's etc. 

Please bring toiletries, here you will miss DCL.( but not a big deal that's for sure) The combination shampoo/ conditioner/body wash....no! For the experience & value of Royal  I believe it will give you pause to return to the rodent, lol! Enjoy, and welcome to the Royal family 🙂

Pretty much, your cabin, food (water, generic coffee, tea), most all the open deck areas (pools) and entertainment is included. Everything else is extra like alcohol, specialty restaurants, excursions, on board shops etc. There are perks that come with certain classes of cabins and loyalty programs.  That is pretty much it.

4 hours ago, Neesa said:

DCL to Royal convert here... 10+ DCL and I was done, I tried Royal and have not looked back. Royal product & value for money excels in my humble opinion. The crew are the stars, they really want you to have a great sailing. They seem to be more invested then the Mouse Crew at all levels. Along with the above suggestions I would suggest purchasing before the sailing the combination internet and refreshment package, this way waters/soda's/mocktails are covered similar to the mouse. The internet is a plus here, but you don't have to purchase it. Then if we wanted adult beverage we just paid a la carte, we aren't big in that area. Cruise Planner is your friend, watch for the sales they allow price adjustments. They do provide some things lemonade, ice tea, ships water, coffee & some other flavor waters if you don't wish the soda's etc. 

Please bring toiletries, here you will miss DCL. The combination shampoo, conditioner/body wash....no! For the experience & value I believe it will give you pause to return to the rodent, lol! Enjoy, and welcome to the Royal family 🙂

This is fantastic advice -platinum to platinum.

4 hours ago, Midwest Cruiser said:

@Dr. Facilier I will ask what are you mainly looking for that you are confused on or need clarification about. @Matt has a great posted video but that may not answer what you are specify look for. I'm all ears.

Thanks!  The real issue is that I can find my way through a Disney ship with my eyes closed and the Royal ship seems so much bigger and there are so many more "pay for" items  = I keep having these visions that I'm going to end up with a huge bill because I didn't know something was an extra cost.  I know there is a learning curve for each new line and we plan to spend most of this cruise exploring.  I'm really appreciating all the advice!

39 minutes ago, Dr. Facilier said:

Thanks!  The real issue is that I can find my way through a Disney ship with my eyes closed and the Royal ship seems so much bigger and there are so many more "pay for" items  = I keep having these visions that I'm going to end up with a huge bill because I didn't know something was an extra cost.  I know there is a learning curve for each new line and we plan to spend most of this cruise exploring.  I'm really appreciating all the advice!

You're welcome. If you don't know if it costs extra, just ask. 

This is my list for our Symphony group.

Somethings will not be on Anthem but will give you a good idea of what to expect.

I believe Northstar and Ripcord are a cost during Sea days and Free during port stops.

May be a good post for first time cruisers, Food included in your cruise fare.
Included:
El Loco Fresh
Sorrentos Pizza
Solarium Bistro
Park Cafe
Windjammer Buffet
Vitality Cafe
Cafe Promenade
Dog House
Main Dinning Room
Johnny Rockets(**Breakfast Only)
Ice cream locations on pool deck

Extra cost:
Wonderland
150 Central Park
Chops
Giovanni’s
Izumi sushi
Izumi Hibachi
Johnny Rockets
Playmakers
Portside BBQ
Vintages

Free:
Water slides
Ultimate Abyss
Zip line
Mini Golf
Ice Skating
Pools
Hot tubs
FloRiders
Aqua shows
Theater shows
Game shows
Comedian shows
Game room
Adventure Ocean(until 10pm)
Karaoke
Music Hall concerts
All the sports courts
The Carousel
Vitality Fitness Center
Chat feature within Royal APP

Cost,(some obvious):
Excursions
Drinks(without drink packages)
WiFi(without purchase)
Ship to shore calls
Fitness classes
Salon
Spa
Souvenirs/shops
Room service(except Breakfast)
Starbucks/Specialty Coffee
Onboard Photos
Adventure ocean after 10pm
Escape Room
Arcade
Laundry/dry cleaning

@Dr. Facilier the unknown is the worst, I get it. But so many things are included you can really do it without any extra$$. You can still bring your wine/champagne in your carry on just like DCL and unless you specifically seek out say specialty dining you will be impressed with how much is included. My last sailing I had a credit to my onboard account due to not spending all of my OBC. The spa situation is the same, hard sell at the end but if you stay out of there you can have an amazing time with little to no extra monies. You will be surprised at how fast you get comfortable. And we here at Royal still do the updated muster drill. Download the Royal App, put in your sailing you will see offerings included in your fare and those that are extra, so easy to stay away from those. Menus are also on the app. Did you pick your dining? Main seating, late seating or my time. You can request a private table or dine with others. While the venue stays the same the menu is different every night! If I think of more I'll check back in with you!! I'm so excited for you!!!

Electronic type maps everywhere. The Quantum class is easy to navigate and get comfortable with. You will be a pro in no time. 

One more thing to quell the first day angst. Maybe splurge for a specialty lunch so when you board you can sit down to a frenzyless first meal. Your server can educate you on any uncertainties, WJ is crazy day 1 just like Cabanas. Cafe 270 is nice and also included. I think Jamie's and Johnny Rockets are your fee options. This way you start relaxed then visit your muster point to check in. By then the cabins should be open. Check out our version of the DCL Navigator here, find a similar sailing to yours and get a good feel for what to expect.

Screenshot_20230119_171238_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr. Facilier said:

If you are used to a more all inclusive line, the upcharge choices may be a little overwhelming.

They are definitely not out to trick anyone into paying for something they weren't expecting.

To me it's more that you start from a much lower fare and can add on as you are comfortable, or not at all.

While crewmembers may ask about some uncharged items, they are never pushy about it.

2 hours ago, Dr. Facilier said:

the Royal ship seems so much bigger and there are so many more "pay for" items  = I keep having these visions that I'm going to end up with a huge bill because I didn't know something was an extra cost.

I assure you Royal and DCL have the exact same things that cost extra, minus the "free" soda at select locations on DCL.I think you'll find it quite similar

Anything that costs extra on Royal is clearly marked as such.

This has been such a great source for info.  It's not knowing that is the toughest. We booked through Costco so have to wait until we get on board to take advantage of some of the perks  - one is a specialty restaurant meal.  We want to go to Wonderland - more for the experience than the food itself - should I expect it will have openings when I get on board?  Also - will it be clear in the app when I can start making reservations for various events and shows before cruising?

Thanks again!

I think it's the easiest to tell doing it from the cruise planner on the website vs the app.  Then it's crystal clear.  When the Lights, Camera, Action placeholder is gone, you will see shows that can be reserved.  Other activities one tab sooner in Onboard Activities.

image.thumb.png.5735cdd61081e3764bb10aa8f86633f0.png

54 minutes ago, Dr. Facilier said:

This has been such a great source for info.  It's not knowing that is the toughest. We booked through Costco so have to wait until we get on board to take advantage of some of the perks  - one is a specialty restaurant meal.  We want to go to Wonderland - more for the experience than the food itself - should I expect it will have openings when I get on board?  Also - will it be clear in the app when I can start making reservations for various events and shows before cruising?

Thanks again!

You will want to be on either the Royal App or the website the night before the 45 days away from sailing. Our check in opened up at 11pm the night before the 45 days out(we are Central Time Zone, Royal Corp is Eastern Time Zone and it would be 12:00am 45 days out) That is when you are able to enter in your information and select your boarding time. Then when you first board the ship go to wonderland and select the time and day you want to eat at.

We were able to book Entertainment 60 days away from sailing. Mark those in you phone calendar and you will be set.