Private table for 2 with traditional dining time

Hey, so as you know, we are going on a cruise soon, 2 passengers, and we would like to have a private table, not to seat with others. I read online about the dining department email, and also about the fact that if we are on traditional dining time, we will be seated with others, and that if we want to have a private table, we need to switch to My Time Dining.

We sent an email to the dining department (we understand that approx. 3 weeks prior to sailing is okay) asking to switch to My Time Dining and have a private table, however now I read somewhere that this email is only to request a private table for traditional dining time. We are very confused at this point. 

If anyone can clear this up for us, we would highly appreciate it! 🙂

Thanks!

To switch to My Time Dining you should call either your travel agent (if you booked through one), or Royal Caribbean (if you didn't).  If they still have room, they will switch you over.  If they are unable to switch you, then you can either email them or you can visit the MDR on the afternoon that you embark and ask them to put you at a private table.

Enjoy your cruise!

The default for My Time Dining is getting a private table for your party.  The default for Traditional (Early/Late) Dining is sitting with others unless your party is large enough to require its own table.  However, you can get a private table with Traditional or share a table with My Time Dining.  Try to get the style (MTD/Trad) of dining set before the cruise.  You can always request a different table while on the ship but it is not always possible to switch the type of dining.

2 hours ago, JoeOfTheSeas said:

Hey, so as you know, we are going on a cruise soon, 2 passengers, and we would like to have a private table, not to seat with others. I read online about the dining department email, and also about the fact that if we are on traditional dining time, we will be seated with others, and that if we want to have a private table, we need to switch to My Time Dining.

We sent an email to the dining department (we understand that approx. 3 weeks prior to sailing is okay) asking to switch to My Time Dining and have a private table, however now I read somewhere that this email is only to request a private table for traditional dining time. We are very confused at this point. 

Thanks!

I would keep traditional dining and just ask for a table for 2.  We do that through our Travel Agent.

The problem with MTD is that if you don't get the first start time, it is hit or miss on when and where you will be seated.  Peak times are crowded, and walk-ins without career planner reservations complicate the seating.  You will see both positive and negative reviews of MTD.  With traditional dining, once you know your table location, you can walk to the table when your seating opens -- no waiting or fussing.

You can request a table for 2 with traditional dining too. If you booked with Royal, call them and they will update your booking on their side.  We've never had an issue with this.  If you booked with a TA, then I imagine they would handle the update.  Also, when you get on the ship, I would check out your table when you get on in case any issues.  On our recent Liberty cruise, we noticed the table number assigned in the app so we just searched for our table after boarding.

16 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I'm guessing this was supposed to say "cruise planner" but I did have a little giggle at it because it so perfectly describes many of us on these boards 😂

This isn't true.  Wait hold on.

-Closes tab with royalcaribbean.com search results

-Closes tab with flight searches to multiple cruise ports

-Closes tab with hotel searches for multiple cruise ports

OK I'm back. This isn't true.

8 hours ago, JoeOfTheSeas said:

Thanks!

For what it’s worth, we’ve never sat with strangers on Royal and we generally cruise as a party of two. We never requested a private table before COVID and was always by ourselves.  Since COVID we have our TA note it on the reservation for a table of two and we’ve always received that.

We cruise frequently enough and have only done  My Time twice (neither time by choice) I’d highly recommend keeping your dining as traditional and having your TA make the request or do it the first day when your get on the ship.

We cruised Disney before we switched to Royal and were ready to dine with strangers, but it never happened.  Now we’re just being extra cautious and we seem to get out faster as a table of two.

good luck!

6 hours ago, JoeOfTheSeas said:

How so? Did you book the cruise with travel agent? Did you go to the MDR on day 1 of the cruise and asked for a table?

We booked through a travel agent, they just requested it when we did the booking and we got it. 
Pre Covid we didn’t have much luck, but have had no issue post Covid getting it

12 hours ago, JoeOfTheSeas said:

Thanks!

"and also about the fact that if we are on traditional dining time, we will be seated with others"Others.

No, this is not a fact. It is not a given. I would say 95% of the time if you request a table for 2, you will be accommodated. And if they won't and you say you will leave and go to the buffet, they really try to pull something out of a hat. But traditional doesn't mean group seating as a rule. Now I wish I had the picture people post of how close the small tables can be. Some have less then 12 inches between them. So almost seating with others, but still boundaries. Like a small NYC restaurant. 

On 1/7/2023 at 12:51 PM, JoeOfTheSeas said:

Thanks!

We have our TA do it with no problem.  If you booked the cruise yourself, then I would email them.  We always do the traditional dining time so that may be a factor.