First Time Jr Suite Booked

whitsmom

We are going with family to Alaska (Ovation) in June 2024 and we decided to book Jr Suites (4) for all 8 of us.  My Son-n-Law thinks vacation needs to be at the beach so it took some talking to convince him that he will love Alaska.  After showing the family pictures and videos  from our Radiance cruise in 2018 they all are excited now!!! 

Congratulations! We always heard how beautiful the Alaska sailing was but never wanted to pay the high airfare. Last summer we were offered an Alaska cruise on Ovation and on that particular date there was a bargain rate on the airfare ($200/ea). Needless to say we went and I highly recommend this trip to everyone. Each of the stops were fantastic, the scenery is unbelievable and we and my wife's two best friends thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Alaska cruises are great.  But it is not for everyone.   It is not warmer beach weather.  There is also usually a lot older crowds on Alaska cruises.   I lived in Seattle and the Alaska cruise was not as exciting for me as I went to Canada and the islands in that area many times.  So scenery was so similar.  But the glaciers were great, especially going 1 way where you can see the larger glacier calving, etc.  Enjoy

On 11/14/2022 at 7:37 AM, whitsmom said:

We are going with family to Alaska (Ovation) in June 2024 and we decided to book Jr Suites (4) for all 8 of us.  

I don't know the S.F. difference between Balcony, Jr Suite or regular suite or how RC codes guests 3-8 in terms of billing. My thought was that since you're basically paying for 2 people anyway due to double occupancy it would be more cost effective to book more than one room per 2 guests, which would amount to more space to spread out versus all being cramped in one room. Would this not be the case?  

I'm wondering this because I've been looking at a cruise with my Sister and her Family and it just seems like way too  many people for such a small space particularly when you add younger kids to the mix. So I was thinking about just going with two connecting Cabins for her, husband & kids and then a third for me +1. 

1 hour ago, RCVirgin22 said:

I don't know the S.F. difference between Balcony, Jr Suite or regular suite or how RC codes guests 3-8 in terms of billing. My thought was that since you're basically paying for 2 people anyway due to double occupancy it would be more cost effective to book more than one room per 2 guests, which would amount to more space to spread out versus all being cramped in one room. Would this not be the case?  

I'm wondering this because I've been looking at a cruise with my Sister and her Family and it just seems like way too  many people for such a small space particularly when you add younger kids to the mix. So I was thinking about just going with two connecting Cabins for her, husband & kids and then a third for me +1. 

I have 4 suites with 2 guest in each suite. The suites are all together side by side. The suites are for only 2 people each.

We had a JR suite on Ovation last June. First thing I did was go to Coastal Kitchen to book dinners. Since we're from the east coast we wanted 5:30 and were able to eat there every night. It was the best dining we've had other than specialty dining. Since JR suites guests are only allowed there for dinner and as space is available, if you are interested get it done right away.

8 hours ago, KevinJ said:

We had a JR suite on Ovation last June. First thing I did was go to Coastal Kitchen to book dinners. Since we're from the east coast we wanted 5:30 and were able to eat there every night. It was the best dining we've had other than specialty dining. Since JR suites guests are only allowed there for dinner and as space is available, if you are interested get it done right away.

I thought JR suites don't have access to the Coastal Kitchen?

JR suite does have access. It's as space is available. I've seen it posted that you can only book it day to day. On Ovation they let me book the entire week, again all at 5:30 and for that time it was never more that half full. On Oasis in Oct 21 our first cruise post "C" when I tried the first nigh the earliest they had was 8:15. That cruise we were trying the MDR early seating for the first time so didn't try the CK again. In hindsight I wish I had.

13 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

JR suite does have access. It's as space is available. I've seen it posted that you can only book it day to day. On Ovation they let me book the entire week, again all at 5:30 and for that time it was never more that half full. On Oasis in Oct 21 our first cruise post "C" when I tried the first nigh the earliest they had was 8:15. That cruise we were trying the MDR early seating for the first time so didn't try the CK again. In hindsight I wish I had.

Wow that's interesting info. I would like to book a JR suite every now and then. I'm glad you get that perk. 

How is the food in there? Much better than MDR I suppose? 

I thought the food was definitely a step up from MDR. The service was terrific, sine we had the same time every night we had the same table and waitstaff who really took care of us. It was the first time that when I ordered a med-rare steak it was perfect. I usually order medium as that is acceptable but it'll often still be med-rare, not needed in the CK. On Ovation we had a table right at the windows. I sat with my back to them to let my wife and son have the views. We saw more whales sitting there than on our excursion. I decided to experiment and try things I'd not had before, I may not have liked everything I tried, but it was always hot and presented beautifully.

Frankly, I've never found the food in the CK to be remarkably better than that of the MDR.  What is better, IMO, is the ambiance, service and views (on Oasis class) of the CK.  The food at the CK is prepared on site so that has some impact on the food temperature and there isn't quite as much "pre-plating" in the CK as there is in the MDR.  If given a choice between the MDR and the CK, I would always choose the CK as long as I could still get my lobster tails and Dan could get his lamb shank.  I know there is chatter about the warm water lobster tails going away...so that may not even be an issue in the future.  Since we always get the UDP we rarely eat in the CK and never in the MDR, anymore.

17 hours ago, KevinJ said:

Thanks for the heads up.  We will definitely do that ASAP!

4 hours ago, Cakemeister said:

Wow you really jumped into the suite life! I booked my first JS as well, but it was for a little four-day dip into the water as the second half of a B2B.

It was a little over $450 for a suite Vs a ocean view balcony so decided to jump on it since we could get all four suites in a row side by side. 

• 2 weeks later...

We  were  in a Jr suite on  ovation to Alaska in Sept.  We LOVED it! Quantum class ships have some "Spa" Jr. Suites - we absolutely loved it, they have a room on one side with a toile and sink and a room on the other side with a walk in shower w/ a rain head and across from it a full size tub. It was fabulous.   I'll link a youtube video I found so you can see what I mean, if you're interested.  Have a great cruise!       

On 11/14/2022 at 9:37 AM, whitsmom said:

We are going with family to Alaska (Ovation) in June 2024 and we decided to book Jr Suites (4) for all 8 of us.  My Son-n-Law thinks vacation needs to be at the beach so it took some talking to convince him that he will love Alaska.  After showing the family pictures and videos  from our Radiance cruise in 2018 they all are excited now!!! 

If you have a J1/J2 JS on the Quantum class (as Ovation is) then you will surprised to find you have a half bath and a full bath.  It is nice to have two commodes. 

We also booked our first ever junior suite on Odyssey in August for a 12 night cruise. No 1/2 bath only the full bath but great size room. Highlight for us was ability to use Coastal Kitchen for dinners. Aside from the specialty restaurants, we ate once in MDR and the food in CK was far superior, so much so, that we never went back to MDR. Also, much to our surprise, CK was never full, never had a problem getting a reservation. 

I agree with @WAAAYTOOOCK is all about ambiance and service, the food is rather meh. 

JS on Oasis and Quantum class get access to CK for dinner as long as there is space available.......hence why some will not let you book the length of the cruise. I like a good JS when I need double C&A points as it will be the most cost-efficient way to get an extra point per night for staying in a suite. You can also board with suites.

13 hours ago, Mturk said:

We also booked our first ever junior suite on Odyssey in August for a 12 night cruise. No 1/2 bath only the full bath but great size room. Highlight for us was ability to use Coastal Kitchen for dinners. Aside from the specialty restaurants, we ate once in MDR and the food in CK was far superior, so much so, that we never went back to MDR. Also, much to our surprise, CK was never full, never had a problem getting a reservation. 

We have never been on Odyssey but have enjoyed 1/2 and full bath in a JS on Anthem and Ovation.  In our case cabins 10210 on Anthem and 10612 on Ovation.

Edited by Toby
Ooops, wrong cabin on Ovation, fixed it