Buyer beware

4 hours ago, Cj wadsworth said:

Received different answers from rc

Representatives.....can only be refunded by CRUISE CREDIT for only one year...so if you start a new job, your stuck!

You can let your new employer know you had already paid for a cruise before applying and accepting the job. Many will let you have the time off without pay or delay the start date. If you are exceptionally lucky,  the new employer may advance your paid vacation time. 

On 3/4/2022 at 8:27 PM, Audrey V. said:

You can let your new employer know you had already paid for a cruise before applying and accepting the job. Many will let you have the time off without pay or delay the start date. If you are exceptionally lucky,  the new employer may advance your paid vacation time. 

As an employer for many years, and a manager for many years before, this is GREAT advice.  I've never turned someone down, nor has it ever affected the "hire/don't hire" decision. People do have lives outside of work.  I've even made exceptions for paid, when it wasn't earned yet.

49 minutes ago, Bill S said:

As an employer for many years, and a manager for many years before, this is GREAT advice.  I've never turned someone down, nor has it ever affected the "hire/don't hire" decision. People do have lives outside of work.  I've even made exceptions for paid, when it wasn't earned yet.

Agree! Our daughter will graduate in May from college and has already been hired for post graduate employment. We’re taking her on Radiance to Alaska 2 weeks later and employer graciously agreed to a start date after we get back. 

The OP has made two posts in total and both are in regard to being "stuck" because of no vacation time because of a new job. The OP has also not returned since joining to complain four days ago. So, I doubt the OP will return to seek advise.

I suspect that the real issue should be addressed with the new employer rather than blame RC. The employer sounds pretty inflexible. In these modern days of promoting "work/life balance", the idea of expecting a new employee to take NO time off for the foreseeable future is very antiquated. 

I’ve seen both happen.

I started a new job and told them I had already paid for my cruise and gave them the dates I would be out. They said it was fine but I wouldn’t get paid for it. 

My mom started a new job shortly before her beach vacation last summer. Her new job told her they would have to move her from full time to part time to accommodate her request. I speculate it was more do to the employer over-hiring for the position (ER check-in) as her trainer told her they routinely over-hire due to a high turnover rate.

Each job is different in how they handle it. 

Actually, I believe they posted twice on here and once in the live blog area and then again in another area of the board. The duplicate postings were removed. 

Also if you tell any employer about any pre-plans they will honor it unless they are slum people. I think the OP went right into trying to cancel/change with RCG instead of squaring things away with their employer.