Formal nights?

JWeiss

All cruises have a formal night, usually once on a 3-5 day cruise and twice on a 7+. How formal can vary wildly, my brother and I own tuxedos and wear them on the first formal night but we are the outliers, Most men wear a suit and ties seem to be 50/50. At the same token I saw a woman in yoga pants that same night, but she was an outlier as well. To each their own, in her defense they were lululemon yoga pants so at least they were fancy yoga pants!

6 hours ago, JWeiss said:

Are there formal notes on the odyssey of the seas February 25 through March 7?

Formal nights aren’t what they used to be ….. you’ll commonly see anywhere from one third to half the passengers now where men wear nice jeans and a polo shirt and women wear something similar.

My December 16th Cruise to Mexico (Hurray, Navigator's home port is in L.A. for the first RC ship to port in L.A. in a decade) had a passenger dressed in jeans with a purple T-Shirt and red baseball cap on formal night.  The Ball cap had white lettering that said "F#ck Off"  (Spelled out).  His T-shirt had "I love Wet A$$ P#$$y" a cardi B song.  He began throwing paper airplanes around the dining room and yelling to those unfortunate to have one land near them, "Your supposed to pass it on!"  To my dismay no one stopped him from entering the dining room nor did they ask him to stop anything else he was obnoxiously doing. The group he was with sort of ignored him but the worse part was that there was a family with two young boys that were very uncomfortable sitting at the next table and they finally asked to be moved.  I hope that this was an isolated incident and that RCCL has not relaxed policy to this extent.  I did send pictures of this guy to RCCL Corp.  and have heard nothing back at all. Not even an oooops,  we're sorry. 

31 minutes ago, BigKarl said:

My December 16th Cruise to Mexico (Hurray, Navigator's home port is in L.A. for the first RC ship to port in L.A. in a decade) had a passenger dressed in jeans with a purple T-Shirt and red baseball cap on formal night.  The Ball cap had white lettering that said "F#ck Off"  (Spelled out).  His T-shirt had "I love Wet A$$ P#$$y" a cardi B song.  He began throwing paper airplanes around the dining room and yelling to those unfortunate to have one land near them, "Your supposed to pass it on!"  To my dismay no one stopped him from entering the dining room nor did they ask him to stop anything else he was obnoxiously doing. The group he was with sort of ignored him but the worse part was that there was a family with two young boys that were very uncomfortable sitting at the next table and they finally asked to be moved.  I hope that this was an isolated incident and that RCCL has not relaxed policy to this extent.  I did send pictures of this guy to RCCL Corp.  and have heard nothing back at all. Not even an oooops,  we're sorry. 

Crazy. We had a girl in a bralette enter the dining room and they quietly pulled her aside and asked her to dress appropriately. I don’t think they won!

Now that cruise compasses are going away , and waitstaff doesn’t seem to bother mentioning formal night a lot of people don’t know when it is.

I’ve been using the royal app for 5 months, hate it, prefer a paper compass, and just discerned today how to see when it’s formal night and other bits of info.  Royal needs that on a loop on their tv on boarding day, not the “washy washy”

7 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Now that cruise compasses are going away , and waitstaff doesn’t seem to bother mentioning formal night a lot of people don’t know when it is.

I'm on my 13th Royal cruise since the restart in July and every one has had paper cruise compasses delivered to me cabin by default.

Where have you heard that cruise compasses are going away?

On 2/18/2022 at 5:44 AM, ChrisK2793 said:

Formal nights aren’t what they used to be ….. you’ll commonly see anywhere from one third to half the passengers now where men wear nice jeans and a polo shirt and women wear something similar.

That's me I''m so over packing suits to wear on cruises, when I'm on vacation I don't want to wear a suit I wear one to work everyday when I'm not working from home.  On cruises I pack some nice jeans and button down shirts and of course fancy shoes to wear to dinner every night.  I think I stopped wearing suits on cruises in 2017, I get some people love the formality of formal night and I did enjoy it for quite some time. I took my first cruise ever in 2008 but by 2017 I was over it, no more wearing 2 piece suits on cruises for me.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm on my 13th Royal cruise since the restart in July and every one has had paper cruise compasses delivered to me cabin by default.

Where have you heard that cruise compasses are going away?

I had to request a cruise compass on my Jan. cruise... not automatically delivered 

Whether or not anyone else does it, I still dress to the 9s for at least one formal night ( and yes there were 2 on my 8-night Odyssey sailing in Sept). I don't go to super formal places on land...ever...and have at several formal gowns between weddings and prom and "ooh I gotta have that" shopping trips that it works out well enough to take one on. Plus, sweeping through the promenade or down the glass stairs in a flowing gown is as close to feeling like a princess as I think I'll be getting. Lol