I Wish Genies were All Nice!

PG Cruiser

I was at the Amber Theater on Allure for the comedy show.  I was on the row behind the reserved seats for Star guests where an elderly couple without reservations sat.  A genie approached them to inform them that the seats were reserved for guests who were on their way.  I could sense a "situation" brewing as the genie's face was turning from Alladin's Genie to Genie Jafar (sorry if you're not a Disney fan ha ha). To do my duty as a peacemaker,  I volunteered the two seats next to me for the elderly couple.  Here is where "Genie Jafar" failed as a guest services crew member.  He did not thank me - he did not even establish eye contact with me.  In all this I felt like the only guests that mattered to him were the Star guests in his care.  Hey, Genie Jafar, I'm a guest too!

As someone who travel star frequently I can tell you.......it has to be tiring from a Genie perspective the amount of people that simply ignore the reserved things that they put out there.  I can also imagine it is even MORE frustrating to see them completely ignored on mostly empty ships.  Obviously they are supposed to smile and be nice to everyone....but I can understand when/why cracks start to show.

10 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

As someone who travel star frequently I can tell you.......it has to be tiring from a Genie perspective the amount of people that simply ignore the reserved things that they put out there.  I can also imagine it is even MORE frustrating to see them completely ignored on mostly empty ships.  Obviously they are supposed to smile and be nice to everyone....but I can understand when/why cracks start to show.

I understand where you are coming from. The genie was on the younger side. Maybe time will hone his skills at this stressful, even toxic, thankless job.

33 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

I work retail and I would tell anyone not to underestimate the idiocy and entitlement of some people.  There are many these days that think the rules just don't apply to them.

I was just going to say how working in a restaurant, I see things like this all the times. There will be signs posted that people totally ignore. The lack of comprehension and the amount of entitlement on some peoples part always astounds me. Star class is usually labelled very well, yet people sit there knowing they will have to move and become all belligerent when they made to. On my first RCG, we were on the mariner, they had suites and C&A seating section off. I saw so many people sit and get upset when a crewmember told them to move. I mean read the room people.

46 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

35 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I understand where you are coming from. The genie was on the younger side. Maybe time will hone his skills at this stressful, even toxic, thankless job.

Exactly to that perspective - maybe the genie was expecting to need to be stern - again, experience will tell you when you flip that on/off and not to anticipate it. 

Or maybe they were just having a bad day. 🤷‍♀️