Odyssey of the Seas leaving Israel and heading to Florida! It will offload crew to Anthem of the Seas...

16 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Not I just watching the news , I am in the news ? , while getting the message for the cruise canceling I was going to   our sheltered room due to some rocket attack attempt (stayed there for a  minute) . But from my experience most likely it will last for few days to a week . If that was the issue than RC could wait few days in Cyprus to see what happens or even delay the beginning  of the cruise in a week or two . instead they decide to cancel the full session  , that looks very strange to me 

Stay safe.

Disappointing on multiple levels .........

This seemed like a really good plan for RCL to premier a new ship. Reportedly, demand was strong.

Tea leaves point to RCL's inability to get all crew vaccinated - if I recall the Israeli Health Ministry required it. The violence is going to peter out. Reality replaces ideology when people have to get back to work, clean up the damage and be able to walk the streets not in fear of imminent death from the ideologues and provocateurs.... and the supply of Iranian rockets runs out.

That suggests that RCL/RCG places a high priority on getting all crew vaccinated as part of their moral and ethical obligation to provide a safe environment for employees ....... and passengers??? For what ever reasons, they couldn't obtain the vaccines they needed for crew members. This wasn't about violence in and around Haifa.

I think there's a pretty good chance that the small number of ships that will start from US ports in July will require passengers to be vaccinated unless the CSO is enjoined by Judge Merryday. The Operations and Plans Division within RCG has to be laser focused on the short term - the next 45-60d - to insure ships that will sail from US ports are completely prepared to do so in July. All resources may be directed toward this effort. 

Missed all the action today as was venturing out with the fam...but good to see that Royal confirmed the news about Odyssey leaving Israel. Definitely unfortunate what's going on over there and I hope things get better...

The question now becomes when will Odyssey's real inaugural sailing from the US take place with paying passengers? I am booked with many others on this board for the 11/15 5-night sailing which was reduced from the previous 9-nighter. Let's see what happens next... while I'd love to be on the inaugural, I am not planning on cancelling the 11/15 sailing, would still love to go on this ship exactly 6 months from today!

12 hours ago, Oliver said:

If you think this is only going to last a few days, you haven’t been watching the news. Israel is considering a ground invasion 

Israelis don't have to watch the news to understand what's going on. It's right here. And we remember what has happened multiple times in the past, including for ground invasions. They usually have a very specific objective, and then they're done. A few days, or a few weeks, and things will be quiet again.

The cancellation was almost certainly due to vaccination issues. RC expected to receive them on 7 May and didn't. This is the preparation they're probably referring to that they couldn't resolve. The conflict flared up in the last week.

So they tried the political approach with the vaccines and failed. Israel doesn't have a formal government right now (which is why we keep going back to the polls; I expect we'll have a fifth election in two years before long). Lots of red tape, lots of budgetary issues held off because you need a formal cabinet to create a new budget, approve spending plans (for vaccines!), etc. 

The Ministry of Health is being very strict about who receives vaccines that is not a resident. Currently it's Palestinians, undocumented foreign workers, and refugees. No one else can get one without purchasing minimum three months of tourist insurance from the Israeli national insurance, because it's meant for people staying here long-term, not people coming for a trip to get a vaccine. That's probably where RC hit a snag. The Ministry of Health obviously wouldn't make an exception, same as they don't for any non-Israeli without long-term tourist insurance.

Looks like they will take any crew on Anthem that has a current US crew visa and transfer them to Odyssey.  Odyssey crew without a current US visa will move to Anthem.  Then Odyssey can begin to cross the Atlantic.  Based on the crew member video Odyssey could arrive into Florida the first week of June.  

My opinion is RC cancelled primarily because they couldn't get the crew vaccinated in time, and Israel wouldn't sell them the vaccine.

Meanwhile, there has been a tremendous amount of progress back in USA with restrictions being lifted.

Enter the Gaza conflict, and RC has a perfect escape plan to cancel without calling out the Israeli government and/or their own inability to get their crew vaccinated as planned.

I think if this were February and covid restrictions in the US were still quite strict, that perhaps Royal only cancels a few sailings to buy more time to find a vaccine solution. But grass is starting to look green again in US.

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

My opinion is RC cancelled primarily because they couldn't get the crew vaccinated in time, and Israel wouldn't sell them the vaccine.

The crew member video a few posts above confirms this. At least the lack of vaccinations.

11 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

RC now lists cruise dates out of Rome for Odyssey from May 7, 2021 all the way thru October 2021 ……… then a 13 night Transatlantic from Rome to Ft Lauderdale beginning on Oct 31, 2021

Where do you see that?

12 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

RC now lists cruise dates out of Rome for Odyssey from May 7, 2021 all the way thru October 2021 ……… then a 13 night Transatlantic from Rome to Ft Lauderdale beginning on Oct 31, 2021

May 7, 2021 is in the past.   Are you seeing 2022 dates?

53 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

But its already May 16th

21 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Even before this Odyssey was ALREADY supposed to cruise out of Rome for the month of May before moving to Israel in June 

True... but on May 9, 2021.  

I was booked on the April 30, 2021, 9 night Rome sailing.  

36 minutes ago, barjpoe said:

According to my ship tracker website she headed for Civitavecchia.

maybe a fuel and food stop? or maybe going to meet up with Jewel? which is now at Cadiz and might be heading to Gilbraltar.

I imagine they'll try to collect any crew that has a current US visa along the way.  Civitavecchia seems a bit out of the way but it must make sense in the bigger picture.  

49 minutes ago, twangster said:

I imagine they'll try to collect any crew that has a current US visa along the way.  Civitavecchia seems a bit out of the way but it must make sense in the bigger picture.  

And Symphony is at Cadiz too (or heading there, haven’t checked recently)

17 hours ago, twangster said:

The Haaretz piece framing the cruise line versus vaccinating poor countries probably didn't help.  

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-covid-and-israel-country-wants-to-sell-vaccines-to-a-luxury-cruise-line-1.9790995

The World Is Desperate for COVID Vaccines, and Israel Wants to Sell Them to a Luxury Cruise Line

When one reads HaAretz one must do so with ten buckets of grains of salt. Even better, not to read it. They're sensationalists with very little objective journalism. Obviously Israel did not want to sell vaccines to a luxury cruise line. I'll hold my breath for them to correct the claim.

RC website does not have Odyssey out of Rome this year. Maybe the person who saw it was looking at a cruise website that hadn't removed the old Rome '21 schedule?