Royal Caribbean Blog

Vaccine optimism....maybe.....if youre into that kind of thing

28 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I honestly think they will start in Sept...with or without a vaccine. However we all need to prepare for period of "new normal." Even if RCCI decides to run all ships at 50% or more capacity, it will still be changes.

I also asked how many people would get the vaccine because there are a lot of anti-vaxxers. Add those into the fold of people who "don't believe in" COVID and a good chunk of the population won't get the shot. Would the cruise industry force people to have the vaccinations? I am very much sure the Chad's and Karen's are not here for that.

karen walker lol GIF by Will & Grace THE only "Karen" I wanna party with.....no offense if anyones name is actually Karen, im sure youre super cool. 

The flu vaccine is only effective between 19% and 53% of the time, depending on the flu season. (I got this info from the CDC website) So, I'm not putting my faith in a new vaccine that hasn't even went through the same rigors as the flu vaccine. I also know that every time my husband has gotten the flu vaccine he has gotten pneumonia (and yes it was more than once). He now refuses to get it. I much prefer to use other means of not getting sick, ya know like washing my hands and not licking strangers. That is just my preference. You do what you think is right for you.

A vaccine may be required before the CDC will consume a chill pill.  

Don't get me wrong, they are saving lives right now but looking down the road they are likely to maintain their stance longer than necessary out of an abundance of caution. 

When a vaccine is available regardless of how effective it is, it will give the CDC an "out" and justification for lifting or easing the cruise ban.   

Vaccines also ease liability, regardless of whether or not a person chooses to partake. I got the flu shot a handful of times and every time I get it, I get sick. I hadn't had the flu in five years but in 2019 I got the shot because of traveling and of course I got sick. Unfortunately with COVID those are the breaks. If you want to rush back to "normal" you are going to have to suffer with a rushed product.

11 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Vaccines also ease liability, regardless of whether or not a person chooses to partake. I got the flu shot a handful of times and every time I get it, I get sick. I hadn't had the flu in five years but in 2019 I got the shot because of traveling and of course I got sick. Unfortunately with COVID those are the breaks. If you want to rush back to "normal" you are going to have to suffer with a rushed product.

I just hope that they don't make it mandatory. A rushed product is dangerous, but what happens if it causes a worse problem with side effects and allergic reactions? The flu vaccine was like that at one point before they stopped using eggs and such for it. Unfortunately, when most things first appear on the scene, whether it is vaccine or a new electronic device, there are a few "bugs" in it. I say let them take it first and we see what happens to them. THEY can be the guinea pigs if they decide to make it mandatory.

@Mrs. Thomas I don't think the government will make it mandatory but I wonder about cruise ships. As a leisurely activity, they could sort of get away with enforcing vaccinations. I personally won't be getting the vaccine until extensive research and testing have been done, even then its only a 50% chance.

24 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@Mrs. Thomas I don't think the government will make it mandatory but I wonder about cruise ships. As a leisurely activity, they could sort of get away with enforcing vaccinations. I personally won't be getting the vaccine until extensive research and testing have been done, even then its only a 50% chance.

My fear is that schools will make it mandatory for children....Kind of like kids who are not given all the non-flu vaccines are not allowed in most public/private school settings.....I am fearful of giving anything to my kids that I feel is rushed......

43 minutes ago, jaredhamburg said:

My fear is that schools will make it mandatory for children....Kind of like kids who are not given all the non-flu vaccines are not allowed in most public/private school settings.....I am fearful of giving anything to my kids that I feel is rushed......

Agreed! Cruise or not, my kids aren't going to be getting some untested or tried vaccine because they MIGHT get something that has a 96%+ recovery rate in people of good health, especially children.

@Ampurp85 I agree. The cruise lines could get away with it, but I don't think they want to do that considering how many people from different countries may not be able to get it. The cruise industry has a very diverse consumer base.

I will say the other vaccinations are quite different: having to get vaccinated for the measles or chicken pox is not the same as the flu....or in this case COVID.  I also believe that if they make a vaccine it will be available worldwide, this is a pandemic. My point still stands that as a leisure activity they have a higher chance of forcing a vaccination. If you can afford to cruise, you can afford a shot. It would be no different than requiring shots to visit certain developing countries. Also, remember that some of the biggest travelers, those from Asian countries, are working on vaccines as well.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I will say the other vaccinations are quite different: having to get vaccinated for the measles or chicken pox is not the same as the flu....or in this case COVID.  I also believe that if they make a vaccine it will be available worldwide, this is a pandemic. My point still stands that as a leisure activity they have a higher chance of forcing a vaccination. If you can afford to cruise, you can afford a shot. It would be no different than requiring shots to visit certain developing countries. Also, remember that some of the biggest travelers, those from Asian countries, are working on vaccines as well.

I am just fearful that government schools will mandate that all people must get the vaccination for COVID-19, if it comes out.  That is my concern.  I do not like to take any new drug, as it cannot have had a good longitudinal study performed.  I agree it is a different kind of vaccine (probably....as the information is just not fully known), but people are acting so differently about this as compared to H1N1.  Our government leaders may try to mandate it just like masks.  I am not concerned about the cost (I agree...people who can afford to fly and take cruises on vacations can most assuredly afford a vaccine....) of the potential vaccine but the safety of it (don't even get me started on the debates over the risks and rewards of Gardasil).  

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Then there is this company I have been following closely. Sounds very interesting to me but I am not a doc. Maybe it make more sense to some of you.

https://investors.sorrentotherapeutics.com/news-releases/news-release-details/sorrento-announces-selection-t-viva-19tm-targeted-protein

RCIfan,

Always good to hear of promising outcomes from potential SARS-CoV2 vaccines.  But realize that the link above reports results from a study done in mice.  So this is still in pre-clinical stage and must be approved for human subject studies.  Even with approval, the first human studies will primarily evaluate safety/side effects rather than efficacy.  The Pfizer study linked on your previous post looks to be a Phase 1 human study.  The promising news is that vaccination induced antibody levels higher than that seen is a typical infected individual.  The potential bad news is that at the higher doses, the vaccine exhibited some side effects and in one case (in my quick read), serious enough to cause cessation of that arm of the study.  Any positive outcomes in the early stage studies is reason to be optimistic, but there is a long way to go for testing the various vaccine candidates.  It is said that later this summer we will see results of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine results which from what I understand is currently being evaluated to determine if if can actually reduce SARS-CoV2 infection.  A positive result there would be very good.

On 6/25/2020 at 3:10 PM, RCIfan1912 said:

As long as it is deemed by federal agencies and I hear from private industry that is producing this vaccine that it went through very thorough and rigorous testing I will get it especially if it gives me peace of mind and can cruise. 

But what kind of piece of mind is 50% effective? You’ve got a 50/50 shot at being protected. That’s IF you produce antibodies to the vaccine. 

32 minutes ago, Jill said:

But what kind of piece of mind is 50% effective? You’ve got a 50/50 shot at being protected. That’s IF you produce antibodies to the vaccine. 

Its not set in stone that it will only be 50% effective. Right now I have 0% effective vaccine so 50% is still better. I think in the end it will be higher than 50%. 

12 hours ago, Jill said:

I read today that it’s estimated only 50% will take the vaccine. Anyone know off hand the flu A/B percentage? 

According to the CDC it can be anywhere from 19% to 53% effective.

@jaredhamburg I agree. There is no way that they could have done enough tests and such in this small amount of time. You can't even get an allergy medicine without risking crazy side effects, even if the risk is slight. The reason that people are acting different now as opposed to when it was H1N1 is due to the media coverage.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 3:10 PM, RCIfan1912 said:

As long as it is deemed by federal agencies and I hear from private industry that is producing this vaccine that it went through very thorough and rigorous testing I will get it especially if it gives me peace of mind and can cruise. 

You are much more trusting then I am of people. I've seen too many lies to believe what they have to say at this point. They have too long of a track record of lying to the public.

8 minutes ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

According to the CDC it can be anywhere from 19% to 53% effective.

@jaredhamburg I agree. There is no way that they could have done enough tests and such in this small amount of time. You can't even get an allergy medicine without risking crazy side effects, even if the risk is slight. The reason that people are acting different now as opposed to when it was H1N1 is due to the media coverage.

You are much more trusting then I am of people. I've seen too many lies to believe what they have to say at this point. They have too long of a track record of lying to the public.

They who? Who are we talking about lying to people?