Traveler

CoronaVirus what's next ?

2 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Clearly we disagree on the level of risk we're comfortable with...

Honestly, this is probably what it comes down to.  I, admittedly, do a lot more things that raise my risk of illness/injury/death than I probably should....but its been a hell of a good time!  Hope you, also, have a great cruise. 

15 minutes ago, Jill said:

Just heard on the news 39 new cases on Diamond Princess. Good grief the quarantine will never be lifted. They may end up with a mutiny onboard. 

My heart is with everyone aboard the ship... The news stories are heartbreaking (lots of fear onboard, particularly among the crew per reporting). It's a lose-lose situation for everyone.

10 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

But do the people reporting the numbers lie?  I also don't think people outside of China have much to worry about right now.  But I don't think we're getting the real numbers out of China.  If the death rate is below the flu's death rate, then why are they dragging infected people out of their houses in Wuhan?  There's no reason to do that with the flu, you'd just let them recover at home.  Therefore, it seems logical to assume the Chinese government sees this as way worse than the flu.

Don't believe all the media hype either a lot of the videos that have appeared have been proved to be false also, the WHO & CDC have been in china since early Feb and have not challenged the numbers of infected or deaths reported.

The numbers of new infections has drop considerably lately.

1 minute ago, [email protected] said:

The numbers of new infections has drop considerably lately.

The number of new infections hasn't dropped persay, it's just no longer exponential (that is to say the rate of the rate of change (or second derivative) is the lowest yet). Still good news, but just want to clarify. Also, the CDC has not yet been invited to review the situation in China, and the WHO is still negotiating the terms of performing it's investigation with China. Here's a news feed that gets regular updates:

https://www.ft.com/content/278e81f8-c74e-3206-ac2f-f27e1245ff0b

This one caught my eye this morning:

"Chinese authorities have begun emergency requisitioning of private hospitals, hotels, apartments, cars and even face masks as the country’s rising number of coronavirus patients threatens to overwhelm local government facilities."

Alarming news from  China - they have change the counting of infected people to include people which show the symptoms but was not tested positive yet , that brought the number to 15000 new cases in one day. I do hope it is one time spike (since they include people that are already sick for a while). If they would still count the same way as before , the numbers still show reduction. 
For sure the cruise industry like any other tourist industry are suffering from the current situation, just hope things will be clear soon and everything will go back to normal . For now maybe its a good time to watch for deals ...

9 hours ago, Traveler said:

Alarming news from  China - they have change the counting of infected people to include people which show the symptoms but was not tested positive yet

Those are called "clinical" cases, and as an aside since it was mentioned previously in this board, recommending the inclusion of these cases was one of the first things the WHO did when they arrived in China in an official capacity yesterday.

We go in May but have to pay the cruise next week.

Lucky we have good cancellation insurance. 

Not to worried as even if we didn't have insurance we simply wouldn't take a risk.

We are in Europe and cruising in Europe on Anthem so will wait and see.

PS anyone from the princess died yet ? I don't think they have.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:58 PM, Morganno said:

We go in May but have to pay the cruise next week.

Lucky we have good cancellation insurance. 

Not to worried as even if we didn't have insurance we simply wouldn't take a risk.

We are in Europe and cruising in Europe on Anthem so will wait and see.

PS anyone from the princess died yet ? I don't think they have.

I have a cruise at April on Jewel , I did not cancel it , I have took advantage on the panic and successfully upgraded my cabin to a JS from a balcony , cost was 0 ... 
No one died on princess  ship  although many new people are infected. Good news is that mostly this virus is not fatal and most of the people recover after mild symptoms , who ever got the symptoms was taken to an hospital for treatment (and they have very good hospitals in Japan). The bad news is the number of new cases every day (We are around 350 people now) but that can be due to the fact its not 100% quarantine, for sure not for the crew.

3 hours ago, Traveler said:

I have a cruise at April on Jewel , I did not cancel it , I have took advantage on the panic and successfully upgraded my cabin to a JS from a balcony , cost was 0 ... 
No one died on princess  ship  although many new people are infected. Good news is that mostly this virus is not fatal and most of the people recover after mild symptoms , who ever got the symptoms was taken to an hospital for treatment (and they have very good hospitals in Japan). The bad news is the number of new cases every day (We are around 350 people now) but that can be due to the fact its not 100% quarantine, for sure not for the crew.

We're going on the quantum on the 30th April and hoping to get some descent upgrades by then with all the cancellations etc. I've been watch whats available  and on Friday there was only 1 joiner suit available but Saturday there were 5 and strangely it was cheaper to pick your own than to take RC random choice {It was still to expensive for my blood but hears hoping}.

Hi all. I'm booked on the Allure for a Mediterranean cruise from September 13th -20th. Yes the virus is a concern. Yes there's misinformation. Yes I'm thinking about cancelling but I'm holding on looking at the news. However, today I saw on BBC that NORTHERN Italy reported some cases and has closed schools, businesses etc in Milan etc. My cruise has Pisa, Rome and Naples stops. Thing is, I have till June for my final payment on RCCL. however I live in the Caribbean. My flights,Trinidad-miami-Spain and return is costing me about $20,000 for 2 and the cruise is about $15000. I know the money can't be compared to death from infection, BUT, if you were me, what would YOU do? Please help.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a million hand washes not mitigate the possible airborne droplets coming into contact with you? If I'm on the cruise, I can't really know when or if the person next to me is going to cough or sneeze etc.

Not trying to be impossibly paranoid though. 

3 minutes ago, Damyb said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a million hand washes not mitigate the possible airborne droplets coming into contact with you? If I'm on the cruise, I can't really know when or if the person next to me is going to cough or sneeze etc.

I have lived 46 years without being sneezed on, I think I can make it through  an 8 night cruise. I'm not intending to be a smartass. Just want you to know the chances of somebody sneezing/coughing on you are slim to none, and for that to be an infected person is even less. 

I think the media is PARTIALLY to blame for people's (including me) panic mode concerning this. We can't be laid back about it but at the same time we just have to be vigilant. I'm fine with the million wash hands 🙂

We'll see how my Mediterranean cruise goes in September. 

They may do Greece, Spain or France IF this continues to play out. Some people say the virus will die when hot weather hits, obviously this is a lie because Iran and Italy have warmer climates. I think when more transparency comes into play we will be able to get a handle on things. The hyperbolic media is definitely making things worse. I am young, just survived the flu so I ain't worried about no beer virus.Cat Reaction GIF by moodman

20 hours ago, Damyb said:

20 hours ago, Spang1974 said:

I have lived 46 years without being sneezed on, I think I can make it through  an 8 night cruise. I'm not intending to be a smartass. Just want you to know the chances of somebody sneezing/coughing on you are slim to none, and for that to be an infected person is even less. 

Bottom line to avoid getting the flu...wash your hands frequently and minimize touching your eyes, mouth and nose unless you just washed your hands and you'll be virtually assured of staying healthy (Coronavirus, norovirous, flu, cold, etc.) on a boat ride. Happy sailing! 🙂

On 2/23/2020 at 10:48 PM, Spang1974 said:

I am not worried at all and I work in a UK hospital. I am more worried about slipping on ice or catching the flu.

Why would you be more worried about the flu which 

A) already has a vaccine

&

B) has a drug to help prevent the more serious symptoms (Tamiflu)

Rather than Covid-19 which has neither of those ? 

1 minute ago, Morganno said:

Why would you be more worried about the flu which 

A) already has a vaccine

&

B) has a drug to help prevent the more serious symptoms (Tamiflu)

Rather than Covid-19 which has neither of those ? 

I'm really not really worried about the Flu or Covid-19, I most likely will slip on ice sometime in the future. I do also have an irrational fear of flu after I was hospitalised with it once (I get the vaccine but not everyone has access to it). Same with Tamiflu not everyone can afford it. Also Murphy's Law pretty much follows me around. With my luck I will get infected with Covid-19, just not worrying over it. Definitely not gonna cause me to cancel booked and paid for holidays (1 of which is a cruise). Nothing based on science in my comment just opinion.

Hi everyone.  it is true.  Like any virus, once it's inside, antibiotics won't work.  They usually need to run their course.  Norovirus makes you think like you are going to die (lol), and once you get this GI flu, you are contagious for 4 days - post recovery!  This is why cruise lines do their best to control entry, and offer self quarantine for flu affected passengers.  The Corona virus family is 14 days contagious. 

BUT, this is usually up to the discretion of the passenger to say they are not feeling well, and to stay the hell in their room for days after they are feeling better.  As much as I love my fellow citizens, i think that if they are starting to feel better, but still contagious, they will be out mingling with the populous because they would rather infect others than do the right thing. 

Maybe the cruise line could help with this by offering a full refund to affected passengers to keep the rest of us, their reputation, and the boats crew safe!  What do you think?