Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Spring Break Cruises


Recommended Posts

Sailing out of Tampa, April 04, on Rhapsody.  SPRING BREAK for the kiddos.  Curious as to how......crazy.......it will be? Will I regret it (doubtful....its still a cruise)? Will it be fine (aka. will i drink more)? Will my kids be happy because of more kids to play with in AO? Looking to the all RC knowing board, here, for thoughts....

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, you will not regret it.  Even a bad cruise (I've heard there are such things...I've never personally experienced one) is better than no cruise.  I know you will have a great time.  I really enjoy sailing out of Tampa.  We are sailing on Brilliance in November.

Off topic but....I have family in Rock Hill.  LOVE it there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

No, you will not regret it.  Even a bad cruise (I've heard there are such things...I've never personally experienced one) is better than no cruise.  I know you will have a great time.  I really enjoy sailing out of Tampa.  We are sailing on Brilliance in November.

Off topic but....I have family in Rock Hill.  LOVE it there.

I have never had a bad cruise either, but my # of 5 pales in comparison to yours. I suspect it will be a great trip...but the crew im traveling with doesnt have kids, so its a concern to me that they arent overwhelmed by the increase in shin kickers. Im taking precautions by booking excursions already, and planning as much as possible. 

 

Rock Hill IS great....and getting better.  I grew up in the Charlotte area (Lincolnton, NC) and moved to Fort Mill, SC in 09 after getting married. Moved to RH in '15 after having our second son, in order to gain more home, yard, etc..... Couldnt be more please with it. Now, with the Panthers building their headquarters and practice facilities here.....keeps getting better!!!!    

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s different cruising over spring break with your own kids. I don’t suggest it if it’s an adult only trip. 

We’ve sailed Oasis twice over spring break with our kids. The first time they were 11 and 17. The second time 18 (her spring break) and 24 (working girl). Needless to say, we had more fun with our “adult” kids as we got them their own cabin across the hall. 

Overall it was a full ship with lots of kids but never bothered me. For the most part pretty well behaved. 

This past March we were on Freedom with 2 other couples. Groups of kids running around were beginning to get annoying. 

From here on out I’m sticking with cruises after Easter and before Hurricane season (June) starts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My family and I are on the  Symphony-of-the-seas on April 11th. I booked it before I realized it was spring break. So I am a little nervous about kids running around. Then I remember, I am on vacation on a cruise. Life is good and just have fun plus more importantly...they are not my kids. So I will have another drink and enjoy!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, basil said:

My family and I are on the  Symphony-of-the-seas on April 11th. I booked it before I realized it was spring break. So I am a little nervous about kids running around. Then I remember, I am on vacation on a cruise. Life is good and just have fun plus more importantly...they are not my kids. So I will have another drink and enjoy!

Here in Florida, spring break tends to be in March. Colleges are usually the 2cd week of March, public schools the 3rd week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something else to think about.....has anyone cruised in Latin America countries, and noticed a difference in the ports for Semana Santa (week of Easter)? I know in Honduras, Semana Santa is a HUGE deal, and places like Tela and La Ceiba get VERY BUSY during the week. Would imagine that spills into Roatan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jill said:

Here in Florida, spring break tends to be in March. Colleges are usually the 2cd week of March, public schools the 3rd week. 

Here in Michigan it is the week before Easter. My Brother's children have the week after Easter. I guess it really depends which state, either way there will be some kids out of school that week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SteveinSC said:

Sailing out of Tampa, April 04, on Rhapsody.  SPRING BREAK for the kiddos.  Curious as to how......crazy.......it will be? Will I regret it (doubtful....its still a cruise)? Will it be fine (aka. will i drink more)? Will my kids be happy because of more kids to play with in AO? Looking to the all RC knowing board, here, for thoughts....

Been out of Tampa during spring break but on Vision of the Seas, and it was not an issue whatsoever!  We mainly sail at least during spring break and have yet to have any serious issues.  Only real issue I can say that we have had was on one (and only one) cruise there was a group of kids that loved running up and down the halls.  You will have a great time!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

We went on a cruise that turned out to be Florida college spring break.  5 nighter I think.  The pool deck was out of control busy with drunk people everywhere, no where to sit, and spilled alcohol/cups all over the deck.  The kids were grouped up in the walkway and it was hard to walk around up there.  We just avoided it and it was fine.  We did not have our kids but I don't think it would have changed our feeling about it if we did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bhageerah said:

Been out of Tampa during spring break but on Vision of the Seas, and it was not an issue whatsoever!  We mainly sail at least during spring break and have yet to have any serious issues.  Only real issue I can say that we have had was on one (and only one) cruise there was a group of kids that loved running up and down the halls.  You will have a great time!  

Having been on Vision, you will be able to speak to one of my hopes. My hope is that since Rhapsody is a smallER ship, it will be less people to compete with for things? I knew sailing over Spring Break all but insured a full ship.....so sailing on a smaller ship eases that, in my mind? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Matt said:

I was on Mariner of the Seas for spring break this year and I really didn't think it was bad at all.

Only so many people you can put on a ship, right? Any idea what the occupancy average is for RC cruises? I imagine over holidays, were talking a full ship. Other times, not so much.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Spring Break cruises sail full.  Not just full of cabins with double occupancy but every room is almost full with its max occupancy.  We cruise every year for Spring Break.  The crew is used to it and adjust people to AO to accommodate so many kids. 

By April, there are very few colleges out for Spring Break.  You will see multigenerational families or large groups of family friends.  Of course, those adults could rival college kids on the pool deck!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, melski94 said:

The crew is used to it and adjust people to AO to accommodate so many kids. 

I wondered if they would ramp up staffing in AO to accomodate.  Good to hear! 

 

2 minutes ago, melski94 said:

You will see multigenerational families or large groups of family friends.  Of course, those adults could rival college kids on the pool deck!  

You nailed it. My parents are joining us, as well as my brother and sister in law. We will be those adults rivaling the college kids (while our kids are oblivious to our shenanigans in AO)....lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BeatArmy2010 said:

We sailed on a spring break cruise once. It was fine, but we like to tell people there were so many kids in the pool that when one jumped in, two were squirted out!

Oh man...hilarious picture but that sounds truly awful to me. My wife and I do anything and everything possible to travel (cruise or otherwise) when there is the least chance of any kids/families. February and early May are perfect North America vacation times because of that 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SteveinSC said:

Having been on Vision, you will be able to speak to one of my hopes. My hope is that since Rhapsody is a smallER ship, it will be less people to compete with for things? I knew sailing over Spring Break all but insured a full ship.....so sailing on a smaller ship eases that, in my mind? 

I can honestly tell you that I have sailed on one of the smallest (Majesty) to the Oasis and usually when everything is at capacity during spring break or over Christmas break and really have not had any issues outside of the first day.  And honestly the only issues with lines on that first day are when we try to go to the Windjammer!  Outside of the first day the only real things that  we wait for are admission to bingo or shows, and that is only because they have something else going on prior to our admission and we have to wait until the venue clears before the let us in.  RCCL does a magnificent job of managing the crowds so even if the ship is sailing at capacity you will rarely get the impression of how many folks are really on the ship.  Of course depending on the time the pool deck can get crowded, as well as when its time to get off when you are in a port.  We choose to use the pool during hours where its not as popular, and get off the ship later so we avoid the mad rush once we get in port.  But of course that depends on what time we have to meet for our shore excursion.  Trust me even though you are on a smaller ship you will be impressed at what you will see once you get onboard.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...