Jump to content

Recommended Posts

 Someone mentioned they liked old pictures of RCL ships.  Here are a few shots of the Majesty Of The Seas from our honeymoon the first week of May 1994.  We cruised from Miami on May 1st for 7 nights  - Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica and CoCo Cay.

 

Centrum1.thumb.jpg.9dbeddd0df2a9bb683601300aaf080e6.jpg 

Centrum2.jpg

MajestyCoCoCay.jpg

MajestyCoralDecor.jpg

MajestyPoolDeck.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 1st cruise was May 92 on P &O (Med) out of Venice.  Sooo much has changed.  I recall the midnight buffets.  Drinks were included, alcohol or non-alcohol.  People dressed up for formal night.  On the pool deck they had a buffet set up all day long for our sea days....just tidbits and desserts that they changed out during the day...breakfast/lunch/dinner..  No specialty restaurants.  Excursions at any port was very limited.  Def. no lifeguard at any pool, nor slides, etc.

The funny thing is I remembered they did their version of Love and Marriage,  and Quest.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pima1988 said:

...People dressed up for formal night. .

It's  a shame that isn't as true today.  Our last cruise was this one in 1994 and we are taking the Empress to Cuba in June of this year to celebrate out 25th wedding anniversary.  Wish it hadn't taken 25 years to cruise again, but we are taking our two sons 21 & 18, and want them to see how wonderful the experience is as well.

We are so excited to go that we have already started looking at a bigger ship for next year... Thinking Anthem or Adventure out of New Jersey and going to Bermuda.  While this years cruise is about the ports (Key West, Cozumel, and Havana) our next one will be more about the ship!

Love the blog, podcast, and message boards - what a great community!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear a cocktail dress and my husband wears a suit.  We don't do the pics.  The thing we love about that night, is we make it special.  

We have a system.  We do take a balcony cabin.  We hit the WJ and make a nosh plate for us.  He also gets his Bulleit Bourbon and diet coke.  He gets ready 1st.  I  sip my glass of wine and eat some tidbits.  When he is done, he goes out on the balcony.  I close the curtains so he can't see me.  When I am ready, I open up the curtains like he is picking me up for a date.  It just makes that night special.

We are married for 31 yrs and together for 36.  

We have done Anthem.  We will be on Adventure in less than 9 weeks for the 1st time.  They are really 2 different ships, and itineraries.  Anthem is 5 nights, and Bermuda only, at least it was for our sailing.  Adventure is 8 and includes Bahama and Coco Cay.  Anthem dining options are sooo much better.  Adventure is smaller and has a promenade.  Anthem has I Fly, more balconies with removable wall, Adventure does not.  

To me if I had kids traveling with me at their age,  I would choose Anthem.  Anthem's solarium is amazing.  They also have what my family calls the washing machine.  Hard to explain, but think hot tub at high speed lazy river.   You just keep spinning.  Anthem has I Fly at no cost.  Anthem has the bumper cars... 2 boys at that age will have fun.  NorthStar is unique, but it is not something I would call a make or break.  You go up, hang out, look around and back down.  Anthem has better shows.  It also has the kummelwreck.

We opted Adventure this yr because it is only my husband and his siblings...no kids.  We like the idea of us playing miniature golf as 50+ yr olds.  No offense to RCL, but I hated The Gift on Adventure.  Their acrobatic show was cancelled because the ship was rocking due to hurricanes.  Hence, the only big show was We Will Rock You, which was good.  Anthem in our case/price/itinerary was not competitive.  My angst is their limited restaurants on Adventure.

If you go on Anthem, make sure you do the relatively known things.  1.  Go to the Solarium.  There is a door on the right side when you enter starboard (right).  If you hit the button it will lead you out to a Peekaboo bridge.  2. I can't recall which deck, but I want to say it is WJ,  there is a spot cut out, laid in glass that looks all the way down to deck 4/5 (?)  3. Make sure you are on the pool deck when you sail out.  You go under the Verrazano and due to the height of the ship, you will only clear it by 50 feet or less...Adventure does this too, but it is not as tall as Anthem.

Hope that helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

  When he is done, he goes out on the balcony.  I close the curtains so he can't see me.  When I am ready, I open up the curtains like he is picking me up for a date.  It just makes that night special.

I love this! So romantic 🌹

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

Anthem's solarium is amazing.  They also have what my family calls the washing machine.  Hard to explain, but think hot tub at high speed lazy river.

Where is this particular hot tub? Was on Anthem last October and don't recall seeing something like that, at least not in the Solarium. We used the hot tubs in there late at night, when there's hardly anyone in the place and you can actually relax with your SO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Where is this particular hot tub? Was on Anthem last October and don't recall seeing something like that, at least not in the Solarium. We used the hot tubs in there late at night, when there's hardly anyone in the place and you can actually relax with your SO.

I think it's actually the current pool on the main pool deck that's being described here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Where is this particular hot tub? Was on Anthem last October and don't recall seeing something like that, at least not in the Solarium. We used the hot tubs in there late at night, when there's hardly anyone in the place and you can actually relax with your SO.

It just outside Johnny Rockets, it’s mostly used by kids. The water is pool temperature and you just go around in circles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

 

Hope that helps

It really does thank you for taking the time to write such a great response!  I think the Anthem sounds great, and if we can work out the dates, that will be the choice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

It's  a shame that isn't as true today.  Our last cruise was this one in 1994 and we are taking the Empress to Cuba in June of this year to celebrate out 25th wedding anniversary.  Wish it hadn't taken 25 years to cruise again, but we are taking our two sons 21 & 18, and want them to see how wonderful the experience is as well.

We are so excited to go that we have already started looking at a bigger ship for next year... Thinking Anthem or Adventure out of New Jersey and going to Bermuda.  While this years cruise is about the ports (Key West, Cozumel, and Havana) our next one will be more about the ship!

Love the blog, podcast, and message boards - what a great community!

 

Next Year Oasis leaves out of NJ for the summer.. If you really want to do a cruise for the Ship go on Oasis.. Adventure really does not compare to Oasis and Anthem will be in Europe next summer so your choice for NJ is really only Adventure and Oasis 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

Next Year Oasis leaves out of NJ for the summer.. If you really want to do a cruise for the Ship go on Oasis.. Adventure really does not compare to Oasis and Anthem will be in Europe next summer so your choice for NJ is really only Adventure and Oasis 

Thanks for the tip, would love to sail Oasis!  Was hoping for May/June, but summer might work.  Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

We are married for 31 yrs and together for 36.  

We have done Anthem.  We will be on Adventure in less than 9 weeks for the 1st time.  They are really 2 different ships, and itineraries.  Anthem is 5 nights, and Bermuda only, at least it was for our sailing.  Adventure is 8 and includes Bahama and Coco Cay.  Anthem dining options are sooo much better.  Adventure is smaller and has a promenade.  Anthem has I Fly, more balconies with removable wall, Adventure does not.  

To me if I had kids traveling with me at their age,  I would choose Anthem.  Anthem's solarium is amazing.  They also have what my family calls the washing machine.  Hard to explain, but think hot tub at high speed lazy river.   You just keep spinning.  

Pina, guess off topic but DH and I are trying Adventure in Dec and we'll be on Anthem in March with our kids.  Looking forward to both.  (And DH and I looked at Majesty for Dec but wanted one with a bit more dining and amenities).  

Wondering what you mean by above?  Is that like the donut pool on the Allure?

OP great photos of Majesty.  Thanks for sharing!  In the last photo, why was there no water in the pool?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing!  It is wild seeing the difference between now and then!  When we were on her two years ago I honestly did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did!  We love the larger ships but were surprised at how much of a great time we had on Majesty!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

Thanks for the tip, would love to sail Oasis!  Was hoping for May/June, but summer might work.  Thanks again!

May/June is considered "Summer" in the cruising world so you're perfect.. I would absolutely try for May or June as they will be cheaper than July 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

 

OP great photos of Majesty.  Thanks for sharing!  In the last photo, why was there no water in the pool?

Not 100% sure why there was no water, but I do remember that it filled up once we were at sea.  I have other pictures where there were people in the pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @FoxboroCruiser for the pics!!  I will be on majesty for the first time in June!  I am a bit panicked about cabin size but super excited to try another class of ships and everyone says the service on majesty is amazing!  @Pima1988 I love the date night!!! We will celebrate our 30th next year and we need to try this!!!  Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...