Ship Time

lollilb

16 hours ago, FManke said:

I plan on taking the phones off the function that auto corrects the time according to time zone, so that's not the issue.

But, I'm still confused because on a cruise with the same ports as ours, the Cruise Compass says on one page "move your clocks ahead one hour tonight" and "move your clocks back one hour tonight" a couple of days later to correspond with the time changes.

I agree that I might be dense, but I still don't get it. According to the Cruise Compass, the clocks on board are changed according to the correct time zone.

Am I over thinking this? It wouldn't be my first time!

From what I've read, it is up to the Captain if the ship changes times (most Caribbean cruises stay on port of departure time). I haven't experienced it...in fact the ship really stressed to not rely on your cell phone as ship time was different. I didn't clarify that with my Roatan tour operator and we were there an hour early.  Lesson learned was at every port I double check the time before we get off the ship and have learned with private tours to check if meeting on local or ship time.

18 minutes ago, FManke said:

I guess ultimately, we only have to worry about getting back to the ship on time. We have booked all of our shore excursions through RC, so I guess we will be guaranteed to get to the excursion on time.

FM,

You should not have any time issues since your excursions have been booked through RC. The only time issue you MAY have is if you oversleep!:27_sunglasses:

3 hours ago, melski94 said:

From what I've read, it is up to the Captain if the ship changes times (most Caribbean cruises stay on port of departure time). I haven't experienced it...in fact the ship really stressed to not rely on your cell phone as ship time was different. I didn't clarify that with my Roatan tour operator and we were there an hour early.  Lesson learned was at every port I double check the time before we get off the ship and have learned with private tours to check if meeting on local or ship time.

I was on Liberty this summer, stopped in Roatan, which is where I was getting my answer from earlier and I remember the same as above, they kept stressing, stay on ship time, not island time. So Western Caribbean must be different than Eastern sea board...

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

I was on Liberty this summer, stopped in Roatan, which is where I was getting my answer from earlier and I remember the same as above, they kept stressing, stay on ship time, not island time. So Western Caribbean must be different than Eastern sea board...

I don't know. I have to stop thinking about it because my head is spinning! :62_dizzy_face:

17 hours ago, tiny260 said:

I believe it depends on each ship's captain to make the decision to stay on departure port time or local time. I have had different experiences on different ships/cruises. Just pay attention to the Cruise Compass the night before. Also, there is generally a sign as you disembark, which time is being followed

I like the idea of a "cruise watch". However, I don't own any regular watches and the closest I get is my FitBit.

If I sync up my FitBit to my phone after getting on board, then shut off the phone's Bluetooth connection, will that properly keep the FitBit locked to ship time regardless of what my phone says? If so, then "cruise watch" is a lock!

52 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I like the idea of a "cruise watch". However, I don't own any regular watches and the closest I get is my FitBit.

If I sync up my FitBit to my phone after getting on board, then shut off the phone's Bluetooth connection, will that properly keep the FitBit locked to ship time regardless of what my phone says? If so, then "cruise watch" is a lock!

That seems like a big hassle. I've just decided to bring a sun dial.