Updated app

Royal Caribbean updated the version of their app today. You need to have iOS 17.0 or greater on your phone now in order to use their app. I have an iPhone X 16.6 and am getting locked out of my onboard app. After contacting Royal Caribbean I was advised they could do nothing about this and suggested I buy a new phone! I have an upcoming cruise 4/21-4/28 and the have rendered my phone useless 😡

3 minutes ago, Eyeonhevn said:

The new app required that I reset my password. Have you tried resetting your password? And can you update your iPhone? Or has it reached its upgrade limit?

The original iPhone X is not supported with iOS 17.  iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max are.  Apple only guarantees 5 years of iOS updates, and the iPhone X was discontinued 6 years ago.  OP is going to have a lot of apps that won't work over the next few months unfortunately.

Royal Caribbean recently required a force password change on most of its users, I would recommend trying to log into the website and seeing if a new password doesn't fix it.

Also, if your iPhone is no longer getting Apple updates then you open to security vulnerabilities. I would highly recommend getting a new phone ASAP.

19 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Also, if your iPhone is no longer getting Apple updates then you open to security vulnerabilities. I would highly recommend getting a new phone ASAP.

I believe Apple is still providing security updates for iOS 16. Not sure for how much longer though.

Sounds like an Apple “problem” and not a Royal one. You cannot expect for Royal to make current updates to their app, but have them be compatible with obsolete and vulnerable versions of an operating system. There is obviously something in the app programming with 17.0+ that is incompatible with older versions of iOS. You are going to find this same issue more and more with other apps as time goes by. Royal didn’t intentionally set out to create an app that was purposely not compatible with 16.x just to screw people over. 

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Is Apple more strict/limiting on what apps can support?

The Android app supports Android version 7 and newer and version 7 was discontinued in 2019

Sort of.  Apple tends to encourage developers to use the latest major version of the iOS when compiling their apps, which most developers do.  It does not stop users of older iOS versions from downloading and using older versions of their Apps for older iOS versions.  However, if the developer changes APIs or data structures in their newer app, or takes advantage of newer iOS features, the older apps can become useless as they no longer can communicate properly with the servers.

Apple likes to control the user experience as much as it can.  Since they control the hardware and the iOS, they can do this pretty effectively and force users to conform.  Their target goal is to get users to replace their hardware every 2 to 3 years.  This sucks, because their hardware is actually really good and has potential for a longer lifespan if it is cared for. 

9 minutes ago, Gilley said:

I had same issue, apparently it's working now for those of us with older I-phones who choose not to upgrade.

Just make sure your iphone software (iOS) is still up-to-date to where it's getting the security updates (iphone software (ios) version 15 and above currently).

If it's no longer getting security updates, time to upgrade. A new phone is cheaper than working your way out of identity theft.

https://endoflife.date/ios

23 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

And that's why I stick with android.

Android has same problem with Apps no longer working when OS becomes outdated.

Basicly just forced to upgrade from my samsung S8 due to non working Hotel and Airline apps

2 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

Android has same problem with Apps no longer working when OS becomes outdated.

Basicly just forced to upgrade from my samsung S8 due to non working Hotel and Airline apps

Have yet to have that problem. I never keep a phone more than 3 to 4 years though. However, an android phone is less than half the cost of an iPhone.

I got the "Update to iOS 17" note on the app a couple days ago. After a couple close/reopen attempts, I was automatically reconnected to the app with no problems.

I'm using an iPhone 12 currently running iOS 16.6. Just been too lazy to update to iOS version 17. I'll get around to it when I'm good and ready! 😆