Opting out of Suite on Icon of the Seas

Just adding that I got this same email, and we have 4 booked in the room, so the above comment may make sense given they are specifically calling out the size of the sofa bed.  

I think the point about them wanting to try to and resell these for alot more than what they originally were charging is completely believable as well.  Paid 7800 back in March for the room, including prepaid gratuities.  Same rooms on sailings for 2025/2026 are going for 10k, sailings for 2024 15k+, insanity.

I'm booked for October 2024 and my kids will be 11 and 8 during the cruise, so it'll be a bit a tight fit on the sofa bed, but they'll live.  They'll be so tired after playing on the ship all day it won't matter.

I booked one of the Sky Class Junior Suites in the Suite Neighborhood as soon as booking opened. There’s only eight of them on the ship. I’m sailing solo and was able to book the same suite back to back. The price was, in my opinion, very reasonable…especially for a new ship with such an iconic roll out (see what I did there.😁).

Im looking now and I see so many lower category cabins are priced even higher than what I paid. I’m thinking some bean counter is kicking themself in the butt for originally pricing it so low!

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Lucky said:

I know I'm late to the party on this, but I also have a Surfside Family Suite for an 11/30/2024 sailing and have 4 occupants (2 adults, 2 children) in our room. Like @Lovetocruise2002, we did not get an option to cancel or change.

I am surprised to hear this. A few months ago, when the news of the smaller sofa bed came out, it was my understanding that those who had 4 booked in that room did get the opportunity to opt out. It was those who only have 2 in the room (like me) who did not have that option.

If you follow our blog, we are on for the inaugural. If we do not get our Royal Up, I will be stuck in that suite and I will be sure to check out how comfortably you fit 2 people on that sofa bed. Here is the link to our joint blog:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/44501-mods-gone-wild-icon-inaugural-sailing-january-27-february-3-2024/

29 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

At the moment, if you look at the dimensions in the earlier posts, they appear to be smaller than a regular sofa bed.

Thanks. I didn't read the entire letter.
So the suite bed is 73" x 48" while a standard double bed is 75" x 54".

5 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

What is your objection to this suite ?  Is it b/c the "couch" is smaller than you expected ?  It is Sky Class, no ?

But in all seriousness the suites in Surfside and the Sunset suites are similar to the aquatheater suites on Oasis class where they're a haul from suites area which is forward on Icon. I wouldn't mind the Sunset Corner suite for that balcony though! 😍

3 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

But in all seriousness the suites in Surfside and the Sunset suites are similar to the aquatheater suites on Oasis class where they're a haul from suites area which is forward on Icon. I wouldn't mind the Sunset Corner suite for that balcony though! 😍

Yeah, I would hate that, myself.  But they ARE Sky Class  at least ?

@WAAAYTOOO, @AshleyDillo is correct. My "beef" with the Surfside suites not the couch. It's just Hubby and I so I could care less what the couch size it. I hate that it is far removed from the suites area, no direct ocean view, and way too close to "tot town". However, I knew what I was getting into when I booked it. I just regret it slightly. No one is the blame but me.

The rationale on that crazy night when the inaugural was released was that I needed to be in Sky class. What I wanted was the Sky Juniors, but because they froze out TAs that night, by the time time I got to it, Sky juniors were gone, and it was either Surfside suite or the Panoramic suites. This is where I was conflicted. I did not want the Surfside suites (because I already knew the cons), but with Icon inaugural sandwiched between two heavy Star Class sailings (the NYE on OY and my upcoming one in March), I had to save a bit and decided to grab the Surfside suites. The price difference at the time was $3000 more (total for 2 of us) for the VP.

Looking back, I wish I had grabbed the VP that night. But at this point, I'm trying RU, and even if I don't get anything, the fact that I can even go on this sailing at this point is a blessing.

Apologies for the thread hijack lol