New Orleans

baltodave

Happy Friday Everyone.

We just booked a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise out of New Orleans and we've never cruised out of there before.  We plan on flying in a couple days before embarkation and want to get your suggestions on where to stay so we can taste of the French Quarter and Garden District (and not too far from the cruise port).  We were not planning on renting a car (don't think we need to).

TIA!

1 hour ago, baltodave said:

Happy Friday Everyone.

We just booked a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise out of New Orleans and we've never cruised out of there before.  We plan on flying in a couple days before embarkation and want to get your suggestions on where to stay so we can taste of the French Quarter and Garden District (and not too far from the cruise port).  We were not planning on renting a car (don't think we need to).

TIA!

Interested to hear about your experience... would like to try NO since we are NOT interested in travel to FL or TX.

3 hours ago, Koepper said:

We stayed at the Place d’ Armes hotel.

Close to everything in the historic district but in a peaceful area.

I highly recommend it.

https://www.placedarmes.com/

Stayed there with my family years ago. Had a really nice stay and Cafe Du Monde is a short walk. Good recommendation

I talked to a local that grew up there. She recommends the antebellum mansions.

The food is also very good.

I've been to the French Quarter and was very disappointed. Every major city has a red light district. NO is the only one I can think of that calls it a family friendly tourist destination.

No need for a car if you’re staying downtown. I really like the Hilton on St. Charles in the business district. Just off Canal but you don’t hear as much noise from the shenanigans that go on at night. They also have Luke’s, a great seafood place in house and several breakfast spots in that area

if you want to stay IN the French Quarter the Bienville House Hotel is lovely. It’s right at the end of Decateur where all the action is, a skip away from Cafe Du Monde.

The Hilton News Orleans Riverside is connected the Riverwalk Shopping Mall which is connected to the Julia Street Cruise Terminal. Embarking on your cruise will mean you don't even really go outside. If you are scratching your head, 'A shopping mall connected to a cruise terminal???'  Yes! It makes perfect sense and all cruise terminals would be better places if they had the same.

The short answer is a car in NOLA is 1000% unnecessary; you'll find the places you'll want to go are all perfectly walkable and any hotel in the Quarter will have it's advantages. Don't be shy about booking a hotel that is not connected to some large chain, as a matter of fact, a wonderful part of New Orleans is that they have kept out large commercial interests out of the beloved Quarter and you will not see Subways, and McDonalds, and Marriots, nor any other company that advertises during the Super Bowl. 

New Orleans is such a great port it is the only port to receive a double gold star rating on my private rating system. It truly is the best cruise port to sail from, It has everything.

21 hours ago, bobroo said:

The Hilton News Orleans Riverside is connected the Riverwalk Shopping Mall which is connected to the Julia Street Cruise Terminal. Embarking on your cruise will mean you don't even really go outside. If you are scratching your head, 'A shopping mall connected to a cruise terminal???'  Yes! It makes perfect sense and all cruise terminals would be better places if they had the same.

The short answer is a car in NOLA is 1000% unnecessary; you'll find the places you'll want to go are all perfectly walkable and any hotel in the Quarter will have it's advantages. Don't be shy about booking a hotel that is not connected to some large chain, as a matter of fact, a wonderful part of New Orleans is that they have kept out large commercial interests out of the beloved Quarter and you will not see Subways, and McDonalds, and Marriots, nor any other company that advertises during the Super Bowl. 

New Orleans is such a great port it is the only port to receive a double gold star rating on my private rating system. It truly is the best cruise port to sail from, It has everything.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Our cruise is not until 10/19/24 - 10/26-24 (a Sat-Sat itnerary).  We plan on flying in the Thursday before and stay 2 nights before embarkation; I just checked availability and, already, nothing is available there.

On 11/3/2023 at 9:30 PM, Koepper said:

My family when on a Christmas cruise a few years back out of New Orleans. We stayed at the Place d’ Armes hotel.

Close to everything in the historic district but in a peaceful area.

I highly recommend it.

https://www.placedarmes.com/

Wow, our cruise is not until 10/19/24 (a Sat-Sat cruise).  We were planning on flying in the Thursday before and stay 2 nights.  I just checked availability there and, already, nothing is availabile.

We stayed at the Bourbon Orleans Hotel when we were on our cruise last January.  I may stay there again for our next sailing out of there.  It's right in the French Quarter, just 2 blocks from Jackson Square.  The rooms have balconies. If you want the hype of NO, get a balcony that faces the street.  If you prefer more quiet, get a room that faces the courtyard pool.  It's super walkable in the Quarter and an easy Lyft ride to the terminal.

Have a great time!

We've been to NO once, a vacation wrapped around an NFL game, so the dynamic was a bit different.  I can't speak to the cruise terminal.  But it was one of the best vacations we've had.  We stayed on Royal St near Canal.  Bourbon St is one block over.  There is so much more to NO than the insanity of Bourbon St.  And even there, the insanity is confined to several blocks.  Once you get past the section, the French Quarter is beautiful.  Jackson Square was one of our favorite places to just hang out.  The food is phenomenal.  There are some true hidden gems there.  The WWII museum is an all day experience and well worth the day.  And the people are some of the friendliest we've met in a tourist spot.

We hope to get back there in a couple of years when there will be another NFL game for me to consider.  We rarely ever make plans to go back to a place we've visited, New Orleans is one of the exceptions.