Accidental cancellations due to “IT glitches”

2 hours ago, Xaa said:

They need a travel agent.

Bingo.

Many years ago I had an accidental deletion of my reservation. My TA jumped on it immediately and not only got my room back,but extras too for the trouble.

Best part: I did nothing. I went about my day and saw a note later with what she did to remedy the situation. And it cost me nothing extra.

2 hours ago, Xaa said:

They need a travel agent.

I get that, but you shouldn't NEED a travel agent. RC made a mistake and should fix it or do what they can to make in better. This particular story sounds like they were told multiple times by the Customer service person on the phone that they were ok, and had no balance due, but still ended up canceled. I'd be really upset if that happened to me. I'm sure a TA makes it easier, but you shouldn't have to rely on one to make something like this better. 

1 minute ago, ScottD said:

I get that, but you shouldn't NEED a travel agent. RC made a mistake and should fix it or do what they can to make in better. This particular story sounds like they were told multiple times by the Customer service person on the phone that they were ok, and had no balance due, but still ended up canceled. I'd be really upset if that happened to me. I'm sure a TA makes it easier, but you shouldn't have to rely on one to make something like this better. 

We're only hearing one side of the story.  It's possible there is no story at all if the traveler used an experienced agent..

Assuming everything is as presented, it's true that you shouldn't need an advocate, but it is sure nice to have one when the unexpected and even unfair things that can occur do occur.

The group rates, refundable fares and sometimes OBC is nice too.

2 minutes ago, Xaa said:

We're only hearing one side of the story.  It's possible there is no story at all if the traveler used an experienced agent..

Assuming everything is as presented, it's true that you shouldn't need an advocate, but it is sure nice to have one when the unexpected and even unfair things that can occur do occur.

The group rates, refundable fares and sometimes OBC is nice too.

I'll admit I never used a TA until my recent cruise, it had its perks, for sure. Got the table we requested for dinner, made a few room changes and a few price drops that she found for me to knock some money off.  My "Next cruise" reservation automatically went to her, which was also nice- got an email, went over a few dates and had me re-booked in less than 48 hours since I got off on Sunday. (and some additional OBC, which is nice)  SO... even though I used to tell people TA's weren't necessary, and I still don't think they are, they are certainly nice to have on your side! 

1 minute ago, ScottD said:

SO... even though I used to tell people TA's weren't necessary, and I still don't think they are, they are certainly nice to have on your side! 

Right on.  It's like a chauffeur.  I don't need one, I'm perfectly capable of driving and most of the time the drive is incident free.  But it is sure nice to be driven and not worry about any of it.

I've got the exact opposite problem. I canceled 2 excursions to get a better price.  The website said it canceled them, but when I went to rebook,it said I couldn't book again because I was still booked and had a time conflict. Customer service made an IT ticket.

After 2 weeks,  the order history shows canceled, but the shore excursions page shows it as reserved. My credit card has been refunded, but customer service says it's booked and everything is in order.

Go figure...

7 hours ago, steverk said:

I've got the exact opposite problem. I canceled 2 excursions to get a better price.  The website said it canceled them, but when I went to rebook,it said I couldn't book again because I was still booked and had a time conflict. Customer service made an IT ticket.

After 2 weeks,  the order history shows canceled, but the shore excursions page shows it as reserved. My credit card has been refunded, but customer service says it's booked and everything is in order.

Go figure...

After final payment date this spring, RC let my TA know that we still owed $24.73. Checking my credit card statements, RC had refunded that exact amount just a few weeks prior. So, we put it through again. Refunded again, and RC still demanded payment. It got to be comical how many times my TA tried to pay off the balance and how many times it kicked back. TA finally put through payment the day before my cruise (because it was taking exactly 2 days to refund back) so that we wouldn't have any issues getting on board, and (of course) it refunded again. Didn't try again after that, and RC hasn't said anything about it either. 🤪

TL;dr - RC's system can be so screwy, I'm glad I have my TA to resolve issues!

3 days ago my email address and cruise planner access was removed from their system. I had logged in to check the cruise planner early in the morning and was able. Later that same afternoon a companion wanted to get a massage booked (and me pay for it with stored card) and when I went to log in it said my email was not found.  Things happen,  I waited 24 hours.  Same thing on the website and app.  Companion could log in under their account and the cruise and previous purchases still showed.

When I called Royal I was on the phone for an hour and had to argue if I ever had an account in the first place despite having made a drink package purchase while logged in 5 days ago. Account had originally been created back in 2018.

Ultimately they said just sign up again which I did. Everything was there minus saved payment and preferences. Still makes me very uneasy for things like this to happen. I hope I'm a one off case for this IT behavior but it doesn't instill confidence.

I do have a wonderful TA and she was also baffled.