Thoughts on Explorer?

GJ_123

Hi everyone. We are hoping to book a cruise with our kids at the end of July and we are trying to decide between an Odyssey sailing and Explorer. We have been on Odyssey before and had a nice experience but we like the look of the stops more on Explorer.

We typically sail Oasis Class and are unsure what a ship like Explorer will be like. Maybe we are being too fussy! Has anyone been on Explorer? I'd be interested to know how your experience was and if you'd recommend it?

We like the Explorer of the Seas and have sailed her a few times.  We did a B2B on her in Nov 21 out of San Juan just for the itinerary...First cruise was a different port every day.  As @Smokeybandit said...She may not have all the bells and whistles...But we would sail her again in a heartbeat.

Thanks. Yeah I think we are just going to try Explorer 🙂 
Thinking about it I think the only major things we are going to miss out on is the 270° lounge, Playmakers and the Starbucks (admittedly we really like having a Starbucks on board so we will miss that haha).

But we weren't fussed with the North Star viewing platform and didn't think the speciality dining choices were particularly great on Odyssey anyway. Looking forward to giving Explorer a try!

Been on the Explorer but it was a long time ago. In terms of on board stuff to do, it will be less, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. There is enough to keep everybody entertained. While you have less specialty dining, smaller/less shows, things like getting into the MJ is far easier. If your more interested in the ports then definitely go with Explorer. It's probably cost less as well

My last two cruises were on Odyssey and then Explorer.  Completely agree with other posters thoughts about just going with the itinerary most appealing to you regardless of ship if that is more important to you.  Given you've been on Odyssey, don't expect the more modern bells and whistles or more contemporary decor on Explorer.  You can obviously also expect more wear and tear on Explorer as it is 20(ish) years old now. 

None of this means in any way that Explorer should be a lesser cruise option.  Royal typically does a nice job with keeping older vessels clean and functioning well even if they look a bit out of date.   You'll notice Explorer looks dated before you even step foot on it given the lack of glass on the balconies.  That said I certainly enjoyed both vessels and suspect you will as well if you are OK with the ship being a bit dated and a little smaller than Odyssey.

My family is booked on Explorer in December. I saw some recent upgrades/dry dock happened (January-ish). There were rumors that some water slides were tacked on. I have been checking YT for a ship tour after Feb/March but I got nothing that is decent or shows a slide. Any conformations on the upgrade?

She has the standard twin slides. They upgraded a lot of carpets and fixtures so she was really “clean” when we were onboard last month. If you are going on her in the med, she will have a better itinerary and less people than Odyssey. You’ll be spending most of your time exploring Europe anyway, so the bells and whistles won’t matter. Great crew on Explorer right now too.

14 hours ago, Austin said:

She has the standard twin slides. They upgraded a lot of carpets and fixtures so she was really “clean” when we were onboard last month. If you are going on her in the med, she will have a better itinerary and less people than Odyssey. You’ll be spending most of your time exploring Europe anyway, so the bells and whistles won’t matter. Great crew on Explorer right now too.

We will be on in late November early December in the Caribbean. Usually we are Jewel of the Seas people, but we got an amazing price during wave season on an owner's suite so we are gonna give this run. I have a feeling the slides are going to turn the tide for my girls. They are outgrowing the kiddie slide on the Radiance class.

Been on explorer 3 times. First was back in the day when is first came out with the kids then again about 5 years ago.  Last was last December on an 8 night ABC islands cruise. Great ship. It's mostly about the cruise itinerary anyway, not the ship.

On 6/15/2023 at 1:50 PM, Buzzard said:

My last two cruises were on Odyssey and then Explorer.  Completely agree with other posters thoughts about just going with the itinerary most appealing to you regardless of ship if that is more important to you.  Given you've been on Odyssey, don't expect the more modern bells and whistles or more contemporary decor on Explorer.  You can obviously also expect more wear and tear on Explorer as it is 20(ish) years old now. 

None of this means in any way that Explorer should be a lesser cruise option.  Royal typically does a nice job with keeping older vessels clean and functioning well even if they look a bit out of date.   You'll notice Explorer looks dated before you even step foot on it given the lack of glass on the balconies.  That said I certainly enjoyed both vessels and suspect you will as well if you are OK with the ship being a bit dated and a little smaller than Odyssey.

Yeah that lack of glass on the balcony was a big negative for me.  I spend a good amount of time on my balcony & the tin can feel was very off putting.  We did love the solarium.

13 hours ago, Pooch said:

Yeah that lack of glass on the balcony was a big negative for me.  I spend a good amount of time on my balcony & the tin can feel was very off putting.  We did love the solarium.

That lack of glass was a bonus for us. We had an aft-facing JS so no glass meant an even more open view and more air flowing through open rails.

But we had a hole cut out of the hull with heavily tinted and salt crusted window/rail.  It really was the worst balcony we’ve ever had.  I’m sure the recent refurbishment cleaned it up but you can’t change how it’s set up.  I much prefer the balconies that are on the outside of the hull.

IMG_1859.jpeg

IMG_1858.jpeg

IMG_1857.jpeg

IMG_1856.jpeg