Mariner of the seas port of call in Haiti May 8 thru 12 sailing

bhee

This has been the case for Haiti for the better part of the last 50 years. Lebadee is a private and safe part of Haiti that has zero interaction with the general public. You will not be doing excursions out and about in Haiti. The entire peninsula is gated and secure. It’s a closer experience to Perfect Day than any other itinerary port RC goes to for any cruise. If you are still concerned about your safety, stay on the ship. 

5 hours ago, bhee said:

Has anyone heard if Royal is going to change the port of call from Haiti? They are having some real problems there, kidnappings and civil unrest, doesn't look safe.

No different than every visit to Labadee for years.  There's also crime going on in Miami (or wherever else you're embarking) and its much closer to the port compared to Labadee.  Will that stop you from boarding the ship?

Labadee is about 6 hours by car from Port an Prince across a pretty remote and mountainous area. Labadee is about as far as you can get from civilization in Haiti. There are a few resorts along the same north shore along with what looks like some substantial police stations. I'd say its kind of like Cancun in Mexico. The government just don't tolerate bad behavior around tourist areas.

On 4/26/2023 at 12:23 PM, bhee said:

Has anyone heard if Royal is going to change the port of call from Haiti? They are having some real problems there, kidnappings and civil unrest, doesn't look safe.

As said before me, welcome to Haiti. I'm a very adventurous traveler and have been to the "real" Haiti several times...very nice people and it's a wonderful place, but it's also a problematic. But, in Labadee, you won't see a shred of evidence of any of this. It'll be fine. 

41 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I once had a crew member (who we had talked to a few times already) say "welcome to fake Haiti" when we were getting off at Labadee.

I've some pretty hilarious interactions with crew members after they are a little comfortable with me.

1 hour ago, Kathleen said:

I really like Labadee better than CocoCay. It is so far removed from the mainland of Haiti that’s have not felt unsafe. I hope you enjoy your stop there.

Labadee is our favorite port...Fantasic beach day.

On 4/26/2023 at 11:23 AM, bhee said:

The only time we can remember Royal cancelling Labadee was years ago when they had all the boats protesting.

Considering it took a pandemic and an assassination for them to cancel the port back in 2021...I think you're probably okay. Labadee is tightly controlled and secured from the rest of the island. On top of that, usually most activity is in Port Au Prince which is on the other end of the island from Labadee so I think they take all of that into consideration before cancelling.

If they do anything, Royal may cancel any excursions that leave the protected areas