Consuming alcohol

Sailer

7 hours ago, Sailer said:

Are you able to drink under 21 with parents permission? 

Depends where you're sailing from. This is from the FAQ on their website.

• The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating from North America or the Caribbean is twenty-one (21).
  • The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in Dubai, United Arab Emirates is twenty-one (21).
  • The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18). 
  • The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated. 

Well, this is a weird situation because policy states they cannot serve alcohol to pax under 21 on US based sailings. Other rules are you cannot share beverage packages. OP asked if they could drink with parents' permission. If a parent purchase drinks a la carte for their 18-20 yo to consumer, while at sea, the lines are blurry. 

33 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

If a parent purchase drinks a la carte for their 18-20 yo to consumer, while at sea, the lines are blurry. 

Not exactly (emphasis mine) - 

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/international-age-policy#:~:text=Effective immediately on all sailings,twenty-one (21).

15 minutes ago, ZBrady said:

Oh no I get that and agree with the policy, I am also a rule follower, but I have seen plenty of parents allow this. That being said I have seen lots of pax not following the rules and policies. It's all fun and games until they have to pay for their crimes. 

Oh yea yea - we're on the same page then 😆.

I remember a similar discussion here about weed vape pens or whatever. Even if you get away with it 99 out of 100 times, I am absolutely not taking my chances in a foreign country. Any reasonable person vaguely familiar with recent news events would agree.

19 minutes ago, ZBrady said:

Oh yea yea - we're on the same page then 😆.

I remember a similar discussion here about weed vape pens or whatever. Even if you get away with it 99 out of 100 times, I am absolutely not taking my chances in a foreign country. Any reasonable person vaguely familiar with recent news events would agree.

My last cruise, several people were vaping in everything..........the MDR, WJ, Promenade, etc. They feel like because it doesn't "make" smoke it is cool to do wherever. 

23 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

My last cruise, several people were vaping in everything..........the MDR, WJ, Promenade, etc. They feel like because it doesn't "make" smoke it is cool to do wherever. 

I think a few years ago vapers actually thought it was ok to do wherever, by now they know it is treated as smoking and when they do it it's because they want to have a debate about whether it should be restricted.

21 hours ago, ZBrady said:

Yea, I'd say maybe don't encourage breaking policies that could result in some costly consequences. Not worth it. 

Realistically what do you think the consequences would be if by remote chance they (ships personnel) caught someone underage drinking?

I think we all pretty much know the answer to that.

If the rules allow it, do you need a parent's permission? I'm guessing no. Can a parent not allow it? Seems pretty hard to enforce. I guess if there's a concern, they shouldn't be on that cruise. They could make everyone from 18-20 wear bracelets. One color for drinker, one for non-drinker. Keycard indicates if you're 18-20 so servers know to check the bracelet. Sounds complicated but it doesn't seem like OP chimed in on the responses.  They specifically mentioned parent's permission. Maybe they're under 21..heh.

On another note, everything's fine until someone is clearly drunk. What then? Oh, they're just seasick.

50 minutes ago, mac66 said:

Realistically what do you think the consequences would be if by remote chance they (ships personnel) caught someone underage drinking?

I think we all pretty much know the answer to that.

Again, what may or may not happen - even the vast majority of the time - does not preclude the real possibility of being disembarked in a foreign country.

To each his own, but this particular forum is not the place to encourage that. 

19 hours ago, mistertomatohead said:

If the rules allow it, do you need a parent's permission? I'm guessing no. Can a parent not allow it? Seems pretty hard to enforce. I guess if there's a concern, they shouldn't be on that cruise. They could make everyone from 18-20 wear bracelets. One color for drinker, one for non-drinker. Keycard indicates if you're 18-20 so servers know to check the bracelet. Sounds complicated but it doesn't seem like OP chimed in on the responses.  They specifically mentioned parent's permission. Maybe they're under 21..heh.

On another note, everything's fine until someone is clearly drunk. What then? Oh, they're just seasick.

Years ago when I was a teen it was an option for 18-20.  They asked when we checked in if my parents wanted to allow me to be able to purchase wine and beer, and they signed their consent.  It was then indicated on my key card that I could (I forget how.  I think no alcohol people had a certain mark on their card, and if there wasn't a mark you could drink).  

20 hours ago, ZBrady said:

Again, what may or may not happen - even the vast majority of the time - does not preclude the real possibility of being disembarked in a foreign country.

To each his own, but this particular forum is not the place to encourage that. 

Is that against the rules too?

On 3/13/2023 at 11:56 AM, Ampurp85 said:

same here - it was very annoying