Paper Compass harder to come by

46 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

We got the paper Cruise Compass on our last sailing in Dec. I asked for it as well as ice and every night I had fresh ice and the next days compass. Our attendant was great as was all the others before him. 

I never use my phone while on the cruise. It gets turned off and locked in the safe. 

This is exactly what we did..ice and paper compass every night. I do use the phone for pictures and the app, though 

For our 11 days (2 trips) on Navigator this month, we received the compass starting with our first port day through the duration of each trip.

We never asked for it but told our attendant how much it was appreciated.

Personal note-we enjoy getting the compass each night and planning the next day of activities.   I must be old fashioned because I still like reading the newspaper too.

One thing I did not enjoy was seeing the forecast predicting 70 Degrees and Sunny....only to discover that it was 54 degrees and chilly in port all day.   Somebody get me the number for James Van Fleet 😆

Just got off the Symphony and we tried to just use the app but was hard to find some information and wound up asking our room attendant for the paper compass and she left one every day going forward - it is just so much easier to see things laid out in the printed version and easier to find some of the more basic info

I had to work hard to get a paper copy on the allure, they really didn't want anyone to use paper. But on the enchantment, I never even asked and it was delivered to my room every night. I understand the importance of going paperless, but I do have to admit that I find the paper compass so much easier to sort through than the app! And on Enchantment, the app was often incorrect.

The one good thing about the app is that it updates with changes. We had some wind and cooler weather one night, so they adjusted some outdoor stuff and moved it indoors and it was nice to be able to refresh the app and see the new events. But I still enjoy the paper one overall. 

15 hours ago, ScottD said:

The one good thing about the app is that it updates with changes. We had some wind and cooler weather one night, so they adjusted some outdoor stuff and moved it indoors and it was nice to be able to refresh the app and see the new events. But I still enjoy the paper one overall. 

Works when they take the time to adjust the app.  Then there’s the times they don’t adjust the app, make an announcement that not everyone hears and you’re standing in an empty venue wondering where the event is.  

6 hours ago, twangster said:

The app doesn't always update itself.  There is a refresh button to tap.

I've often heard announcements ... " ...and don't forget to refresh the app!" 

Refresh, refresh, refresh.  It’s crazy.  I have to do enough of phone stuff just to connect to the WiFi and reconnect, disconnect  reconnect etc.  starlink did not solve the issue.

they should put a “changes” sign up daily.  I typically set my calendar and don’t need to look at it for certain things.  W I need to train myself to double check their app to ensure something is still running.  Ugh

announcements? Usually not great, those should be put on a board/the tv as well. But I sure do get the emergency drill in the cabin when trying to rest my eyes! Lol

18 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Works when they take the time to adjust the app.  Then there’s the times they don’t adjust the app, make an announcement that not everyone hears and you’re standing in an empty venue wondering where the event is.  

Over the course of all the cruises I've been on, I would estimate that I actually heard more than half of an announcement less than half of the times that announcements were made. Most seem to happen while in our stateroom and by the time you get the door open so you can actually HEAR what's being said, the announcement is almost over.