Balcony safety info for concerned parents- Wonder

Brett B

I am aboard Wonder of the Seas with my family this week, and for some reason I was thinking back to when we first started sailing back in 2007.  Our kids were young when we first sailed on Freedom, and like may parents we were concerned (and frankly uneducated) on door locks and balcony safety.  For parents looking to travel with young kids, I took some photos to help you understand the backing door locks and balcony railing for Wonder (which I think is consistent with at least Freedom and newer vessels).

Please note my numbers are ESTIMATES

First, the balcony door has a manual lock apx 5.5’ up high.  When engaged, a lever is inserted into the door and the door between the stateroom and the balcony will not open.  See image 1 and 2

Secondly, in image 3, the balcony height itself is pretty high at about 4’.  A child certainly could use a balcony chair to help get up higher, which is why not leaving children unattended combined with the interior door lock to the balcony are the best tools for momentary lapses (like being in the shower).

I hope parents with little one’s fine this helpful.

BTW- Wonder is amazing.  So many wonderful upgrades from the other Oasis ships. It’s our second time onboard, and they also greatly improved the water show Intense, and the show the Effectors II is also wonderful! 

5655CF33-7BDD-4518-AC85-DCB3C0E8846A.jpeg

F23B5221-C837-4ADC-BA92-F92ADB4791C5.jpeg

395FBFE1-0E12-46B1-AD38-AE28EA46C5DE.jpeg

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, RobertWilton said:

Ocean view is good but i am curious about the sliding glass doors, what type of lock is suitable for it, any suggestions or any locksmith here ?

Ocean View is only a window and they don't open.  Balcony cabins will have a sliding glass door with a lock up at the top.  There is no reason to bring your own.

1 hour ago, RobertWilton said:

Ocean view is good but i am curious about the sliding glass doors, what type of lock is suitable for it, any suggestions or any locksmith here ?

The balcony doors are not set up to attach your own lock. As shown in the first and second pictures in the original post, a optional child lock is available at the top of the door.