Harmony of the seas: Any tips for getting pool side chairs?

mindvaca

The only really way to get what you want is to become what you don't want.  You'll need to be a chair hog and lay some stuff on it early.  Royal has a rule that they don't enforce which puts the penalty then upon those that observe the rule.  I wish this wasn't the way.

I grabbed a Casita for a couple sea days on an upcoming cruise to ensure a place to be. as we know we'll hang out there this time.  That's also an option.

On sea days if you want any sort of decent spot with shade, with needing 4 chairs you will need to be claiming them by 8 am at the latest.  I would honestly go earlier than that.  It absolutely sucks but that is the honest truth and there really isn't any way around it (unless you are in a suite or are reserving a casita).  And it will shock you that no matter how early you go, there will still be a lot of chairs already claimed.  People must set alarms for 3 am to go claim chairs, I swear. 

I hate participating in that, but I like hanging by the pool most of the day on a sea day. I will usually get up early like 7 am and go claim a few chairs and actually sit in them, usually bring my laptop and do some work or something.  And then my wife will come around 8 or so.  We may then quickly go to grab breakfast and get back, or depending on if our kids are up, we may split up and two of us go eat breakfast while the other two stay at the chairs and then switch.  It's annoying but I want to sit by the pool all day, I don't want to do it in the pure sun, and I don't want to do it near the kiddy pool or the smoking section, so this is what I have to do to secure my preferred spot. 

In my years of doing this I have witnessed many pool chair shenanigans and confrontations.  In rare instances I have seen Royal removing towels from unused chairs, but that is definitely not the norm.  I have seen people move people's stuff and claim chairs more often than Royal doing it.  And then when the original claimer shows up, the people sitting there just claim ignorance and say there was nothing here when we sat down.  I don't want that confrontation, so I suck it up and physically get in a chair early.  Short of Royal posting people around the pool enforcing the rule, it won't change.      

On 12/12/2022 at 3:17 PM, JBC said:

On sea days if you want any sort of decent spot with shade, with needing 4 chairs you will need to be claiming them by 8 am at the latest.  I would honestly go earlier than that.  It absolutely sucks but that is the honest truth and there really isn't any way around it (unless you are in a suite or are reserving a casita).  And it will shock you that no matter how early you go, there will still be a lot of chairs already claimed.  People must set alarms for 3 am to go claim chairs, I swear. 

I hate participating in that, but I like hanging by the pool most of the day on a sea day. I will usually get up early like 7 am and go claim a few chairs and actually sit in them, usually bring my laptop and do some work or something.  And then my wife will come around 8 or so.  We may then quickly go to grab breakfast and get back, or depending on if our kids are up, we may split up and two of us go eat breakfast while the other two stay at the chairs and then switch.  It's annoying but I want to sit by the pool all day, I don't want to do it in the pure sun, and I don't want to do it near the kiddy pool or the smoking section, so this is what I have to do to secure my preferred spot. 

In my years of doing this I have witnessed many pool chair shenanigans and confrontations.  In rare instances I have seen Royal removing towels from unused chairs, but that is definitely not the norm.  I have seen people move people's stuff and claim chairs more often than Royal doing it.  And then when the original claimer shows up, the people sitting there just claim ignorance and say there was nothing here when we sat down.  I don't want that confrontation, so I suck it up and physically get in a chair early.  Short of Royal posting people around the pool enforcing the rule, it won't change.      

Ditto.  This is what we do.  Jane

On 12/12/2022 at 3:51 PM, mindvaca said:

Thanks @JBC for the detailed thoughts! 

This is our first family cruise so if this is what it takes no problem. I am an early riser anyways. 

I was surprised the pools open so late (11AM) I would of figured that would be open by 9AM at least. 

There will be at least one pool open earlier.  On my cruise, the beach pool opens at 8am.  Jane

10 hours ago, mindvaca said:

@Traveling Mike 🤣 have you actually even done that? 

No... but one of these days I will get old enough and cranky enough to walk around the pool deck and cleaning up the items left behind.  The other thing I thought would be fun is taking my own lawn chair and set it up right in front of everyone next to the pool.  One of the lawn chairs with the umbrella attached.

On 12/12/2022 at 4:51 PM, mindvaca said:

Thanks @JBC for the detailed thoughts! 

This is our first family cruise so if this is what it takes no problem. I am an early riser anyways. 

I was surprised the pools open so late (11AM) I would of figured that would be open by 9AM at least. 

One of the pools will be open at 7am.  You will not have to wait until 11.  

You could go up there after the bars close and pass out for the night.  If any one asks, you're stargazing.  One thing I've always wanted to do but I'm always too hungover is watch the sunrise from the pool deck.  Maybe go up there and watch the sunrise, put your stuff on a chair, go sit in the hot tubs for awhile or hit the Windjammer.  That's something I might try.