Diabetes and Sharps

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice about carrying on medications - particularly insulin pens. I saw a few posts on this forum from a few years ago and I don't know if things have changed since then.

For my pill medications, I keep them in the original container with the label that has my name on it and the name of the medication. It's a general rule of thumb I follow whenever I travel with my pill medications whether it be via land, sea, or air.

However, I have recently been put on two different kinds of insulin pens (one long-acting and one quick-acting).

Question #1 - Should I bring the original insulin pen boxes with me that has the label with my name on it? I currently have them in an insulin pen bag but the actual pens themselves don't have my name on it. (and same with the needles - they are in a box with a label with my name on it).

Question #2 - Can I ask for a sharps container or do I have to bring one on board with me? And particularly, who do I reach out to?

Also, if anyone has any words of advice for taking insulin while on a cruise ship, I am all-ears (or I suppose "eyes" in this case!). The insulin can be kept at room temperature for 50 days so I don't have to worry about that. I don't know if location makes a difference but the cruise is going to Puerto Rico, St. Marteen, and Labadee.

Thanks everyone!

DD is on humira inj pen every 2 weeks. We have a travel box with ice packs for keeping it cold that we just dug out, and we had just cut out the piece of cardboard with the label & stuck it in the carry box with the pens. I will also be storing my Ozempic pen in there with its label. 

I have been a Cruising Diabetic for over 35 years and have never been hassled about syringes, Needles, Pens, or Medications.  I am currently on an Insulin Pump and that IS A HASSLE because of the pump not being able to go thru Metal Detectors but even that isn't too bad. when I used syringes and pen needles I would always fill out the "Special Needs" form mentioned above and most of the time I would still need to ask for a sharps when the Cabin Steward introduced Him/Herself. I still take the original labels and bottles with me because I take some pretty heavy pain medications.  Just a heads up on the meds.  Never add additional pills to your bottles.  If you require more pills for a longer cruise or BtoB than what is listed on a bottle, take another bottle. I have never been hassled for having an amount exceeding my prescription but I have read in other Blog posts that it can happen.  Also, take your meds while onboard if possible to avoid any miscommunication while at a port.  

• 1 year later...

I seem to be having a problem with the oral medications I take: Farxiga and Metformin.  I called the Accessibility Department and they told me: 
1) All medications need to be listed in the travel letter or *they will be confiscated.*  So, I wrote my doctor and asked that she revise the letter.
2) all medications need to be in sealed bottles. 

My problem is with item #2.  My medications come via mail order, and each bottle is 30-60 days.  Does RC really expect me to either delay medications (by not opening a bottle) so the bottle will be sealed?  Additionally,  not all of my medications come sealed.  Finally, as I also mentioned, I don't want to risk 30 or 60 days worth of medication should the bottle become lost or damaged.  My insurance does not cover lost or stolen medication replacement.  The agent asked if this was in the travel letter from the doctor, and I had to explain that no, my doctor is not responsible for knowing or documenting my health insurance coverage. 

I have to say, I've been very disappointed with telephone customer service in general.  Also, Metformin and Farxiga are very common meds, I completed a form online that I'm a diabetic and I have a letter from a doctor stating I'm a diabetic.  This is hardly a unicorn situation, and would they really confiscate my life-preserving medications?  My husband commented "see, this is the part of taking a cruise I knew I wasn't going to like." 

Corresponding with RC Special Needs has been awesome though.  This thing with the meds, however, is making it very burdensome.

2 hours ago, EEP said:

My problem is with item #2.  My medications come via mail order, and each bottle is 30-60 days.  Does RC really expect me to either delay medications (by not opening a bottle) so the bottle will be sealed? 

They just don't want you to put your Rx meds in something like pill sorters. A sealable container is what they are referencing. 

3 hours ago, EEP said:

2) all medications need to be in sealed bottles. 

You're overthinking this.  The standard pill bottle you get from a pharmacy with a child-safety lid qualifies as a "sealed" bottle.  The official rules say your pills should be in the original bottles.  In practice, most people will still put their pills in a standard daily pill sorter and bring the prescription or the bottle with the rest of the pills.  (Always good to bring enough for extra days just in case something happens.)  What they don't want is a zip-lock bag with a bunch of random pills that can't be identified (because then they might be drugs not prescriptions).

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

They just don't want you to put your Rx meds in something like pill sorters. A sealable container is what they are referencing. 

One caveat - I would recommend any controlled substances be in the original, pharmacy labeled container - at least the backup supply. Also - needles/ syringes if they are used - at least cut off the label from the box if you transfer them from their original containers. 

My last cruise was a B2B - 16 days - I had 2 weeks of everything in daily pill sorters (4 weeks of the early morning stuff), and an additional 2 weeks of the others in "larger" pill sorters - with my own handprinted label as to what was in there. I refilled an additional 2 weeks worth near the end so that I would have it all done before I got home, since I had to work the next day, and didn't want to deal with it the day we returned.  I had it all in carryon - didn't want to take the chance of losing any!

I always brought my meds in its original container with the prescription label (including my insulin pen needles). I just figure better safe than sorry. You never know when you might run into a customs agent who is a stickler for the rules (by the way…I am someone who is a stickler for the rules!)

58 minutes ago, RockerDom31 said:

I always brought my meds in its original container with the prescription label (including my insulin pen needles). I just figure better safe than sorry. You never know when you might run into a customs agent who is a stickler for the rules (by the way…I am someone who is a stickler for the rules!)

No rule has ever been quoted to me leaving or entering the United States by ship regarding prescription medicine.

It truly is nothing for a cruise passenger to worry about. It is not what they are looking for. Even pills like Xanax if you have a maximum of three in each day's pill slot is not a problem. Now if there are 50 wedged into each day of the week, we'll that's a different story.

Many of us take too many medications to carry every bottle just for the lable. I personally have access to my meds on both mychart and Walgreens. 

Please folks don't worry about it. And everyone here (sadly) knows 100xs more than the customer service people at Royal Caribbean. 

2 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

No rule has ever been quoted to me leaving or entering the United States by ship regarding prescription medicin

It's less the US and more other countries you would be visiting by ship. It's super rare that it would happen, but obviously you don't want to unintentionally break rules of a foreign country. Better to be safe than sorry..original packaging and proof of prescription will help in the event your stuff gets searched. Also research what controlled substances are illegal in that country so you don't unknowingly break their rules.

9 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Many of us take too many medications to carry every bottle just for the label.

I hear you! Between my wife and I, we have a carry-on gym bag just for medication alone.

When I reached out to the Special Needs department last summer about the insulin fridge and needles, I received the following as a reply:

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.  

We will provide a mini-refrigerator and a sharp's container at no additional cost on the day of sailing.

We recommend bringing a doctor’s letter, or prescription, for the syringes so there are no problems with Customs and/or security.  

Please be advised your reservation has been noted accordingly. 

Best Regards,
Vanessa
Access Advocate

Just like with anything else, your mileage may vary!

10 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

It's less the US and more other countries you would be visiting by ship. It's super rare that it would happen, but obviously you don't want to unintentionally break rules of a foreign country. Better to be safe than sorry..original packaging and proof of prescription will help in the event your stuff gets searched. Also research what controlled substances are illegal in that country so you don't unknowingly break their rules.

This is where access to your records online is sufficient. And nobody will search your medications in other countries unless you choose to leave the ship. You can have an original container full of medication that does not belong in it. Again bottom line is only those doing something wrong need worry.

On 9/22/2023 at 10:49 AM, AshleyDillo said:

I take many prescription medications and I take them all in daily pill sorters.  I carry a list of what pills I take, but do not carry the prescription bottles with me.  Never have.  And I travel several cruises a year.