Coco Cay~Not using but Grandson is. Do we need a ticket just to watch him?

KimL

1st Matt, thanks for your response to my other question! Traveling with 14yo grandson on Symphony March 26th and going to Coco Cay. We purchased him a ticket to the thrill waterpark but not us. Can we go watch him without a ticket since we won't be using the park or do we need a ticket just to watch? 

• KimL changed the title to Coco Cay~Not using but Grandson is. Do we need a ticket just to watch him?
1 hour ago, KimL said:

1st Matt, thanks for your response to my other question! Traveling with 14yo grandson on Symphony March 26th and going to Coco Cay. We purchased him a ticket to the thrill waterpark but not us. Can we go watch him without a ticket since we won't be using the park or do we need a ticket just to watch? 

Not what you asked, but 14 year olds are not required to have a parent or guardian with them in thrill water park.  Not sure his maturity level (or your comfort level), but just mentioning it as an option.  

signed - the bad parent who is sending her 15 and 14 year olds to the water park in March without me

21 minutes ago, Jkaczano said:

Not what you asked, but 14 year olds are not required to have a parent or guardian with them in thrill water park.  Not sure his maturity level (or your comfort level), but just mentioning it as an option.  

signed - the bad parent who is sending her 15 and 14 year olds to the water park in March without me

I am hoping he will make some friends on board at the Teen club and he can go with them while we relax on chill island on the beach bed we rented but I just went online and purchased 2 more tickets (no longer on sale) just in case 😞

Now this is the type of forum discussion that helps my pre-cruise anxieties.  See how fun, non-political, non-controversial this thread was?

Much apologies to the OP for hi-jacking this thread.

I believe that @KimL just wanted to know if she could watch her grandson without a ticket to enter the water park.  KimL, I do not have an answer for you; however, I have recently watched a ton of YouTubes and it seems as though CocoCay has been somewhat empty.  It wouldn't hurt to ask if you could enter the water park to watch especially if the park is pretty empty.

This would be a tough call for me especially at that age.  Old enough to be somewhat independent but still young enough to make poor decisions!  I would be in the water park.  “Ok dear grandson/child, I will be here in this central location.  If you have a problem, I’m here.  Go have fun, check in every couple hours.”  I would not be comfortable or able to relax on the other side of the Cay.

10 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Now this is the type of forum discussion that helps my pre-cruise anxieties.  See how fun, non-political, non-controversial this thread was?

Much apologies to the OP for hi-jacking this thread.

I believe that @KimL just wanted to know if she could watch her grandson without a ticket to enter the water park.  KimL, I do not have an answer for you; however, I have recently watched a ton of YouTubes and it seems as though CocoCay has been somewhat empty.  It wouldn't hurt to ask if you could enter the water park to watch especially if the park is pretty empty.

Thank you! Yes, the anxiety is high on leaving him unattended at the water park however he is very mature for his age and I am hoping he meets and makes some new friends at the Teen club on the ship to hang with at the water park, if not gramps can watch him while I go lounge on the beach....lol !!  plus, you are correct I just wanted answers to my question, not a grammar class 🙂🙂🙂

36 minutes ago, KimL said:

Thank you! Yes, the anxiety is high on leaving him unattended at the water park however he is very mature for his age and I am hoping he meets and makes some new friends at the Teen club on the ship to hang with at the water park, if not gramps can watch him while I go lounge on the beach....lol !!  plus, you are correct I just wanted answers to my question, not a grammar class 🙂🙂🙂

Yeah, sorry.  We are planning our next cruise and have been watching alot of videos about cococay or cocokey and I got sidetracked!  I wouldnt worry at all about leaving your grandchild at the water park alone.  I know its different as a grandparent, but just remember, when your child was 14, he/she was out doing things and most likely, unsupervised.  That is how the 80s were from my memory lol.

45 minutes ago, KimL said:

The last time we were on CoCo Cay, we got a thrill water park cabana.  We never saw our teens even though we were in the park.  What I’m trying to say is that unless you are planning on going on the slides, there is a very limited amount of watching or supervision that you will be able to provide.  Bigger things would be to make sure he’s sunblocked and that he knows there’s free glasses of water by the snack shack so he doesn’t get dehydrated.  

1 hour ago, Jkaczano said:

Lol my child was working as a lifeguard at 15, so I always let her go without me. Not sure where OP’s grandson is from though. Certain parts of the US do not train swimming as early/extensively as we do on the NC coast. 

29 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Yeah, sorry.  We are planning our next cruise and have been watching alot of videos about cococay or cocokey and I got sidetracked!  I wouldnt worry at all about leaving your grandchild at the water park alone.  I know its different as a grandparent, but just remember, when your child was 14, he/she was out doing things and most likely, unsupervised.  That is how the 80s were from my memory lol.

No worries and yes in the 80's times were quite different and we were never supervised as teens! Thank you for your insight😁 On a side note, have you ever done a southern Caribbean cruise? We are thinking of one for 2023

18 minutes ago, Jkaczano said:

The last time we were on CoCo Cay, we got a thrill water park cabana.  We never saw our teens even though we were in the park.  What I’m trying to say is that unless you are planning on going on the slides, there is a very limited amount of watching or supervision that you will be able to provide.  Bigger things would be to make sure he’s sunblocked and that he knows there’s free glasses of water by the snack shack so he doesn’t get dehydrated.  

Thank you! The beds were sold out there but we got the last one at chill island. 

12 minutes ago, fa-li said:

Lol my child was working as a lifeguard at 15, so I always let her go without me. Not sure where OP’s grandson is from though. Certain parts of the US do not train swimming as early/extensively as we do on the NC coast. 

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Jkaczano said:

We are going to the water park with our 16, 14 and 11-year-olds in April, but I'm pretty sure we'll be leaving them after an hour or so and hitting the swim-up bar at the Oasis pool, so I'll join your bad parent club! (It's kind of hilarious thinking of our teens "supervising" our 11-year-old, who's probably the most savvy and street smart of the three of them, in the water park, but there you have it...)