How long does it take to get off the cruise/

ROS

I personally would not book a flight before noon. The ship is *scheduled* to dock at 6 am, and most likely will be on time. However, delays can happen. Better to have margin. 

Assuming all goes as planned, you can always elect to walk your own luggage off with the earliest group, likely around 7:30. Last time we disembarked in Miami, we had a later flight and thus were put in a later disembark group. Ended up leaving ship about 10:30. The taxi line was long by then, so another half an hour in that. But we were purposely not n a rush. 

My last Miami cruise we walked off (with luggage) at 7:15, through customs quickly and in a cab to the airport at 7:30.  Miami is a busy airport, so you need to allow for checking bags with the airline and getting through security.  I think you would be OK to book a 10:30 am flight at the earliest.

I'm also team not-earlier-than-noon and here's why:

• Possible docking/return delays. Bad weather or a medical issue could affect your return and aren't uncommon. It's good to know you have a wide margin of wiggle room.
  • Sleeping in/the night before. I'm certain I am not the only one who really tries to have a blast on the last night, attending the final shows, taking that last dip in the hot tub, grab those last sale items or just stuff my face before responsible eating begins again. Knowing that I can sleep in til at least 7 or 8 AM after all that makes debarkation morning less of a struggle.
  • Breakfast. Not having to be off the ship the second the last rope is tied down means potential time to grab a bite before heading off to the airport. And since it's still free it means I can actually eat a lot lol.
  • Security and Traffic. There's just no telling how long these can take and you want that padding. If more than one ship is coming in, getting out of the terminal alone can be a nightmare.

6 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Sleeping in/the night before. I'm certain I am not the only one who really tries to have a blast on the last night, attending the final shows, taking that last dip in the hot tub, grab those last sale items or just stuff my face before responsible eating begins again. Knowing that I can sleep in til at least 7 or 8 AM after all that makes debarkation morning less of a struggle.

I don't think I've ever woken up after 5am on the last morning, no matter how late I'm up the last night.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:41 AM, CrimsonCruiser said:

I'm also team not-earlier-than-noon and here's why:

• Possible docking/return delays. Bad weather or a medical issue could affect your return and aren't uncommon. It's good to know you have a wide margin of wiggle room.
  • Sleeping in/the night before. I'm certain I am not the only one who really tries to have a blast on the last night, attending the final shows, taking that last dip in the hot tub, grab those last sale items or just stuff my face before responsible eating begins again. Knowing that I can sleep in til at least 7 or 8 AM after all that makes debarkation morning less of a struggle.
  • Breakfast. Not having to be off the ship the second the last rope is tied down means potential time to grab a bite before heading off to the airport. And since it's still free it means I can actually eat a lot lol.
  • Security and Traffic. There's just no telling how long these can take and you want that padding. If more than one ship is coming in, getting out of the terminal alone can be a nightmare.

I didn't realize it was an option to do all that in the morning! How do you know what time you have to leave? Is it assigned by deck? I despise early morning anything to be honest 😭

On 2/14/2022 at 6:04 PM, ROS said:

We are trying to book our flight home after our cruise.  The ship arrives in Port of Miami at 6 am.   Any idea when we will exit the ship?  What is a good time to book our flight out of Miami?

Keep in mind when booking your flight 6 am arrival does not mean that is the time the doors open. Generally the doors open between 7 am and 7:30 am.

Having said that my husband and I have made 10:30 am flights out of MIA, even though you are walking off with your own luggage you do feel rushed, you do feel some form of anxiety until you at least make it to the airport. We've done this several times and we've never missed our flight but if you are looking for a more relaxed departure day I would suggest you do not book a flight departing before 12 noon.  On our October Symphony cruise we were off the ship and outside Terminal A in less than 10 minutes and guess what there were no cabs waiting outside Terminal A and there was a line already building for cabs. Before covid there were always cabs waiting especially if you were one of the first ones off the ship, but this past November when we returned to portMiami there were no cabs at all and we had to wait around 25 minutes or so for a cab talk about anxiety.  

Until things get back to normal I would suggest you give yourself time to make your flight because you can think everything is going great and then there are no cabs 😅. On our Anthem cruise which ended this past Friday we gave ourselves time to enjoy breakfast take one last walk around the ship and we walked off the ship still with our own bags later in the morning (I like walking off the ship with my bags even in a Sky Class suite) but because we gave ourselves time we didn't feel rushed to get from Bayonne to EWR.

On 2/16/2022 at 9:15 PM, Wanderlust876 said:

I didn't realize it was an option to do all that in the morning! How do you know what time you have to leave? Is it assigned by deck? I despise early morning anything to be honest 😭

The number on your luggage tags corresponds with a group number that the staff calls over the PA for debarkation.

You can also choose to walk off yourself (where you don't leave your luggage outside the room the night before and take everything with you) which debarks traditionally as the first group.

If you're staying in a Grand Suite or above you can leave with the Suite and Pinnacle members who have expedited debarkation usually right after the walk off yourself people.

For both of these options you can wait until the final debarkation group is called closer to 9 or so but be aware you will not have the specialized service and may get mixed in with the line for that last group.

There may also be offered shuttle groups for pre-noon and post-noon flights.