Royal Caribbean building Icon class ships

Matt

Was thinking the class name of "Icon" would most likely convert to another name once all is said and done...

I was hoping for "Galaxy Class" with ship names like: Celestial of the Seas

or Constellation of the Seas.... 'cept Celebrity already has a Constellation...

Yeah, because I seem to recall that before Oasis came out, it was dubbed "Genesis Class"

Refueling will be interesting. I wonder how many ports have lng capability? Could limit their itineraries. I don't know, lng scares me!

How many ports could handle Oasis-class ships when they were first announced? Ports have shown they will move with the times to ensure they get their share of the cruise business.

I thought the O class was originally called "Project Sunshine".  Maybe that was not the equivalent of the "class" - Icon.

Oasis was originally called Project Genesis. Quantum class was originally Project Sunshine :)

There is a "tribute" to the Genesis name on Oasis: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/02/05/secret-behind-the-graffiti-oasis-of-the-seas-royal-promenade

Yes, I'm a nerd.

Refueling will be interesting. I wonder how many ports have lng capability? Could limit their itineraries. I don't know, lng scares me!

I thought about refueling as well, though depending on the operating range, it may not be much of a concern so long as the home port has LNG.  

The safety aspect is one I'm sure that's being carefully considered.  Highly compressed gasses aren't new to ships - boilers are still out there, powered by various fuels.  Outside of the compression factor LNG has a flammable range of 5-15% in air, whereas diesel is .6-7.5%.  A different concentration, but somewhat similar range.  Gasses like acetelyne for example have a LFL of 2.5% and an UFL of 81%.

I'd be very curious to understand the efficiency by volume when it comes to actual propulsion.  Inherently, LNG has about 75k BTUs per gallon, compared to diesel's 129.5k BTUs per gallon, but of course, this doesn't necessarily represent how well that energy is manifested.  To me, this means that if the engines were the same size, and identical in efficiency, LNG would only occupy about 60% the space the diesel does on the ship to accomplish the same range.

I'm gonna go back into my nerd corner now.

Seems like this would be an ideal so for Northern Europe where they tax ships based on how much pollution they create. However, size is an issu, similarly with Alaska.

Hope they come out with dinne sneakers ships for the specialized itineraries. The Vision and Radiance classes won't last forever.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I couldn't find another thread discussing the Icon Class?

Is there any news regarding this class of ships? I'm so curious as to what the ships will look like and what features it will have! I wonder if it'll look similar to the Oasis or Quantum class or something entirely new!

Also, thoughts on names for the ships? The first is supposed to be called "Icon of the Seas", right? Other options in my opinion might be "Vantage of the Seas" and "Legend of the Seas" (Or would they not recycle ship names?)

14 hours ago, DutchmanOfTheSeas said:

Is there any news regarding this class of ships? I'm so curious as to what the ships will look like and what features it will have! I wonder if it'll look similar to the Oasis or Quantum class or something entirely new!

Nope, it's all been kept quiet.  Part of the reason is they are still working on many of the details, and part of it has to do with marketing.  

RC does not want to give too much attention to ships coming down the pipeline.  The last thing they want is someone saying "Oh that Icon class sounds so cool, I'm just going to wait to book that."

They want you booking stuff now and then, get excited when Icon is closer in and then book that too.

On 4/20/2018 at 7:14 PM, DutchmanOfTheSeas said:

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I couldn't find another thread discussing the Icon Class?

Also, thoughts on names for the ships? The first is supposed to be called "Icon of the Seas", right? Other options in my opinion might be "Vantage of the Seas" and "Legend of the Seas" (Or would they not recycle ship names?)

There's a thread on here somewhere about some names RC has copyrighted and whatnot somewhat recently.  I think Joy OTS is one...can't remember the others.

• 2 weeks later...