Any problems getting pre-boarding testing in time?

De-nice

I’m looking into scheduling the pre-boarding COVID testing and no where local will guarantee results in 72 hours (all they will say is results in 2 to 7 days). Has anyone who has recently sailed had proof of vaccination but not gotten pre-boarding test results in time?  I’m wondering If we have proof of testing but not the results will we be given the same options as if we tested positive (although all things being equal, I just want to get on the darn ship).

There are places that will guarantee 24 hours, but the nearest to me is a 3 hour round trip. I’m just wondering if it is worth taking more time off work.

It might help if you mention the city/state you are in?
I had no problem getting testing done at my local healthcare place in NY-(Westchester County).  Same day results.
RC is accepting either the PCR OR the Antigen(rapid) test if that helps.

If  I could not find anything in my area I would most definitely do a 3 hour round trip, but I'd be darn sure they are open and could take me!

There are some posts on this site about the at home testing kits that are approved, perhaps look into those?

CVS is easiest because they allow appointments up to two weeks in advance and it’s free.   If you book something closer to two weeks out, you can usually find something. 

Urgent care locations are a good option because most don’t take advanced reservations so you can just walk up. 

Also, HHS has federal testing sites for free https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/community-based-testing-sites/index.html

@Matt, did CVS charge you an up-front fee for the test? They were advertising that it was covered by most insurance, but of course, there's the obligatory asterisk!

There's one just across the road from me, so for my upcoming Oasis cruise next month, I'm planning to get the rapid test on a Thursday for a Sunday departure.

2 hours ago, De-nice said:

I’m looking into scheduling the pre-boarding COVID testing and no where local will guarantee results in 72 hours (all they will say is results in 2 to 7 days). Has anyone who has recently sailed had proof of vaccination but not gotten pre-boarding test results in time?  I’m wondering If we have proof of testing but not the results will we be given the same options as if we tested positive (although all things being equal, I just want to get on the darn ship).

There are places that will guarantee 24 hours, but the nearest to me is a 3 hour round trip. I’m just wondering if it is worth taking more time off work.

If you do not come with a negative test result you will not be able to board. They won't simply accept the proof of testing.

Your location says you are in the Philadelphia area.  CVS offers the rapid testing in Philadelphia.  Not all locations will, but you can use their testing locator search and find the ones that do.  

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing/covid-scheduler?symptoms=covid

The search gives you the option to select the Rapid result test type.

CVS has booking for up to 2 weeks in advance.  If you don't see any rapid tests available in that two-week span don't be alarmed as some locations choose not to make appointments available until the same-day, which means you may have to jump on super early to try and grab an appointment depending on demand in your area.  

I looked up Philadelphia and found several CVS locations that will schedule the rapid antigen test in the next 2 weeks with tons of appointments available.

1 hour ago, Chadster said:

@Matt, did CVS charge you an up-front fee for the test? They were advertising that it was covered by most insurance, but of course, there's the obligatory asterisk!

There's one just across the road from me, so for my upcoming Oasis cruise next month, I'm planning to get the rapid test on a Thursday for a Sunday departure.

Nope.  

On the cvs website it says they charge your insurance or the federal government 

We have had our pre-cruise COVID testing done at one of the local CVS locations. We had to find ones that administer the rapid testing as not all of them around us do. The past several days they have been cancelling appointments for the rapid test due to the large number of testing done and shortage of supplies. We ordered the Abbott home test kit through eMed that Royal and the airlines accept for our next cruise in September. Matt did a great review on it on the Blog and we also read up on it. It comes in a six-pack which for us is ok as we have several cruises coming up in the upcoming months. Cost was approximately $175 with tax and shipping for all six kits. Our insurance covers the CVS test but we did not want to bump anyone locally who might really need the test for health reasons.

4 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

We have had our pre-cruise COVID testing done at one of the local CVS locations. We had to find ones that administer the rapid testing as not all of them around us do. The past several days they have been cancelling appointments for the rapid test due to the large number of testing done and shortage of supplies. We ordered the Abbott home test kit through eMed that Royal and the airlines accept for our next cruise in September. Matt did a great review on it on the Blog and we also read up on it. It comes in a six-pack which for us is ok as we have several cruises coming up in the upcoming months. Cost was approximately $175 with tax and shipping for all six kits. Our insurance covers the CVS test but we did not want to bump anyone locally who might really need the test for health reasons.

I was thinking about doing this also.  Our next 2 cruises aren't until July 2022 & August 2022.  I truly hope that all this is behind us; however, I am not going to hold my breath on this.

Thank you for the input. I delved a little deeper into the RC website and see that they accept the rapid  antigen test. I’m kind of surprised that RC is taking the rapid antigen test as it is my understanding that those can result in false negatives. I was assuming they would want the PCR test and everywhere I looked no one would guarantee results in 72 hours (Rite Aid said “2 to 7 days,” CVS says “1-2 days*” the asterisk being if the lab wasn’t to busy. Who knows what it will be like in a month).

Anyway, my local CVS does the rapid test, and I can make an appointment 2 weeks out. Yay!

Thanks again for helping me navigate the wonderful world of COVID testing. I have managed to not be tested up until now (I have been able to work at home and although my husband works at the airport he has been extremely careful). Going to do whatever it takes to get on that boat in October ?

Out of curiosity I just took a quick look at the CVS site.   Despite the fact that there are several CVS store in our area, the closest offering a test is 45 minutes away. We would be driving past 3-4 on the way to the closest test site.   I have a cruise in Nov 2021 so no immediate concerns but I can see I will need to take a harder look when that time gets closer.    Planning continues to be important.