Jump to content

New CDC Guidance, no masks, no distancing...does it make a difference?


Recommended Posts

"Anyone who is fully vaccinated can participate in indoor and outdoor activities, large or small, without wearing a mask or physical distancing," CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said at a press briefing. "If you are fully vaccinated, you can start doing the things that you had stopped doing because of the pandemic."

Does this include cruising???  We stopped cruising because of the pandemic!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My hope with this change in policy, for the upcoming Adventure and Vision sailings we'll see these additional updates from the Healthy Sail Panel / Royal:

  • No masks required in the MDR or any other dining space (including smaller venues like the pub, Boleros, etc.)
  • No masks required in the Royal Theater or other performance venues, the Viking Crown Lounge and other mainly lounging areas indoors, etc.
  • No masks required while using loungers in the Solarium (if enclosed and not open to the outside air)
  • Only time masks might be required, if even then, is when walking the hallways and corridors
    • Those are quite narrow and two people passing by each other will get quite close; the brief exposure time from just passing is probably not going to be an issue
    • But Royal might still at least recommend it to cover their butts for when passengers are going to their cabin and have the bad luck to hit a log jam of people going somewhere else
    • Honestly, I think even this won't be recommended, never mind required. If the CDC says vaccinated people can congregate without regard to crowd size, then why bother?

Wild card here is the destination ports. The Healthy Sail Panel has to take into account not just the US regulatory agencies and the latest science, but what the port governments are mandating. I've been checking Bermuda's web site for updates to Covid protocols, and so far they are just as glacial in their movement as the CDC has been. Zero significant changes that I've seen in the vaccinated tourist protocols for land vacations, never mind any info specifically about cruise passengers. No idea if the Bahamian / Caribbean / Mexican ports' governments have been making any kind of similar updates as the CDC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

My hope with this change in policy, for the upcoming Adventure and Vision sailings we'll see these additional updates from the Healthy Sail Panel / Royal:

  • No masks required in the MDR or any other dining space (including smaller venues like the pub, Boleros, etc.)
  • No masks required in the Royal Theater or other performance venues, the Viking Crown Lounge and other mainly lounging areas indoors, etc.
  • No masks required while using loungers in the Solarium (if enclosed and not open to the outside air)
  • Only time masks might be required, if even then, is when walking the hallways and corridors
    • Those are quite narrow and two people passing by each other will get quite close; the brief exposure time from just passing is probably not going to be an issue
    • But Royal might still at least recommend it to cover their butts for when passengers are going to their cabin and have the bad luck to hit a log jam of people going somewhere else
    • Honestly, I think even this won't be recommended, never mind required. If the CDC says vaccinated people can congregate without regard to crowd size, then why bother?

Wild card here is the destination ports. The Healthy Sail Panel has to take into account not just the US regulatory agencies and the latest science, but what the port governments are mandating. I've been checking Bermuda's web site for updates to Covid protocols, and so far they are just as glacial in their movement as the CDC has been. Zero significant changes that I've seen in the vaccinated tourist protocols for land vacations, never mind any info specifically about cruise passengers. No idea if the Bahamian / Caribbean / Mexican ports' governments have been making any kind of similar updates as the CDC.

In some of the notices I read today, it is noted that we can "explore" the ports on our own... I know Cozumel is begging for people...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, deep1 said:

In some of the notices I read today, it is noted that we can "explore" the ports on our own... I know Cozumel is begging for people...

 

Great news for us. ALl we do in Cozumel is go hit a up a little taqueria near the port, then my wife goes into town to the farmacia to pick up a few things

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, deep1 said:

In some of the notices I read today, it is noted that we can "explore" the ports on our own...

That's slightly older news from a couple of days ago, I think. Both that and the fact that masks are no longer required in any outdoor space on board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

That's slightly older news from a couple of days ago, I think. Both that and the fact that masks are no longer required in any outdoor space on board.

Masks would still be required in "crowded" outdoor areas. I think my definition of crowded won't be the same as the CDC's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Masks would still be required in "crowded" outdoor areas. I think my definition of crowded won't be the same as the CDC's

If I read today's latest CDC update right, crowd size is no longer an issue when it comes to fully vaccinated individuals. Either indoors or outdoors. So the pool deck and other outdoor onboard spaces will all be fine.

Especially for these Adventure and Vision sailings that are running at much-reduced capacity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

If I read today's latest CDC update right, crowd size is no longer an issue when it comes to fully vaccinated individuals. Either indoors or outdoors. So the pool deck and other outdoor onboard spaces will all be fine.

Especially for these Adventure and Vision sailings that are running at much-reduced capacity.


The CDC's update, at least for now, doesn't apply to cruise ships. However the update might make things easier on board AD/VI, which may be why they are taking a few more days before releasing their protocols.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, twangster said:

Look at how fast the country is progressing.  A week ago we would have had no idea this was coming.  It's great news.

A week from now more great news may be upon us.  

A week after that, even more great news.  

I sincerely hope you are correct

I Just Want to Cruise, NOW!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How about different colored SeaPass cards? One color if you volunteered to them that you were vaxxed, another color if not vaxxed / refused to tell. Or a similar color differentiation if they use those digital wristband things. Maybe require it to be visible, like on a lanyard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, twangster said:

Things are quickly moving in the right direction on many levels.

As more obstacles are overcome, it gets very difficult to rationally explain why cruising isn't allowed.  Even "reasonable" restrictions are becoming difficult to justify.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

How about different colored SeaPass cards? One color if you volunteered to them that you were vaxxed, another color if not vaxxed / refused to tell. Or a similar color differentiation if they use those digital wristband things. Maybe require it to be visible, like on a lanyard.

Print Seapass cards vertically like they do for >18 but < 21.  Very easy to see who qualifies.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JLMoran said:

My hope with this change in policy, for the upcoming Adventure and Vision sailings we'll see these additional updates from the Healthy Sail Panel / Royal:

  • No masks required in the MDR or any other dining space (including smaller venues like the pub, Boleros, etc.)
  • No masks required in the Royal Theater or other performance venues, the Viking Crown Lounge and other mainly lounging areas indoors, etc.
  • No masks required while using loungers in the Solarium (if enclosed and not open to the outside air)
  • Only time masks might be required, if even then, is when walking the hallways and corridors
    • Those are quite narrow and two people passing by each other will get quite close; the brief exposure time from just passing is probably not going to be an issue
    • But Royal might still at least recommend it to cover their butts for when passengers are going to their cabin and have the bad luck to hit a log jam of people going somewhere else
    • Honestly, I think even this won't be recommended, never mind required. If the CDC says vaccinated people can congregate without regard to crowd size, then why bother?

Wild card here is the destination ports. The Healthy Sail Panel has to take into account not just the US regulatory agencies and the latest science, but what the port governments are mandating. I've been checking Bermuda's web site for updates to Covid protocols, and so far they are just as glacial in their movement as the CDC has been. Zero significant changes that I've seen in the vaccinated tourist protocols for land vacations, never mind any info specifically about cruise passengers. No idea if the Bahamian / Caribbean / Mexican ports' governments have been making any kind of similar updates as the CDC.

Thats about what i have been hoping they would end up at ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

CDC Spy - I can see a person coming through my binoculars ... better put your mask on before it gets crowded ...

 

 

CDC Spotter:  "Captain, a ship has been spotted on the horizon!"

Captain:  "Firstmate, ready the crew!"

Firstmate: "Load the cannons captain?"

Captain: "No!  Masks Up!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, twangster said:

 

CDC Spotter:  "Captain, a ship has been spotted on the horizon!"

Captain:  "Firstmate, ready the crew!"

Firstmate: "Load the cannons captain?"

Captain: "No!  Masks Up!"

fantastic, made me roll with laughter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2021 at 4:09 PM, nhilding10 said:

All good points...but I guess what I'm wondering is could this be interpreted into mandating vaccinations for passengers, and then "full steam ahead" so to speak? I see now the difference where they mentioned public transportation, but if you can be inside at a restaurant, seems you can be inside at a restaurant on a ship, right? But the caveat of public transportation...I get it. Just seems like it's a way to put their (Royal's) foot in the door and say 100% vaccinated passengers only until this is all lifted and away we go... Then it would render everything else, moot, in the short term, right?

I agree!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2021 at 2:29 PM, twangster said:

I suspect we'll find many departments within the CDC are isolated and have no awareness what another part of the CDC is doing.  

In this case the Political Directives Division has updated mask guidance while the Cruise Denial Division is still looking to add more protocols.  

"Cruise Denial Crew"?

"Cruise Denial Cretins"?

"Cruise Denial Cops?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...