Australia/NZ Cruising News

30 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

Probably not, but at the moment, only locals can cruise, so Singapore is currently not an option. Lets see how the next few months pan out.

So very disappointed with the Federal government. If there was a plan in place, then Royal would come and the sailings would have been booked out. Australia is a cruising nation.   

There’s a couple of articles getting around that the Singapore government is going to offer incentives for Ozzie’s to sail in Singapore.

I think they are going to give agents subsidies ,such as accommodation ,travel passes .

I believe they will start port calls earlier next year.

They are only short cruises,so I’m thinking a few nights of cheap accommodation. Do a B2B and fly home.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/how-singapore-plans-to-tempt-australians-to-cruise-from-its-harbour/

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Forgive my confusion, but isn’t this old news ?  My Australian cruises for next spring were cancelled months ago.  What has changed ?

Royal had deployed new cruises that were like what they did in the UK with Staycations.  The ship didn't leave Australia.  The ones they canceled for you were the original New Zealand and South Pacific cruises.

14 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

What has changed ?

As per twangstar wrote, they cancelled all the cruises, many of which were going to the South Pacific and New Zealand, and then realised new cruises, many of which were to no where and local ports and since no tourists were allowed in, it was only offered to locals.  

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Scottie said mid next year is when we can travel.

Next month they are going to lift the cap on returning citizens that’s my understanding.

No, vaccinated NSW residents can leave next month and return home to 7 days home quarantine. Qantas are flying to Los Angeles and London 3 times a week from Nov 14th.

Victorian residents will be allowed not long after once we've also reached 80% double vaxxed.

@CruisingOzis heading to the US in Jan I believe.

image.png.20c3e13bee90b64e13a6fc91e570268f.png

1 hour ago, mattymay said:

heading to the US in Jan

That is the plan, and everything is slowly falling into place. Now just need the Aust government to talk to the US FDA to have Astra Zeneca approved and in theory that will be the last hurdle, barring a positive covid test before I depart.

Flying Delta for the first time as Qantas stuffed me up and cancelled my flights. Good deal though, got premium economy for slightly less than the Qantas economy. Slightly more of a pain as I have to do a stopover in Atlanta to get to Miami and a nights hotel, but not complaining as going to stay in the hotel at the Miami airport as I get to Miami at 10.30pm, so straight out of baggage into the hotel within the airport.  

2 hours ago, CruisingOz said:

That is the plan, and everything is slowly falling into place. Now just need the Aust government to talk to the US FDA to have Astra Zeneca approved and in theory that will be the last hurdle, barring a positive covid test before I depart. 

Hopefully AZ approval is not too far away. As I work in Healthcare I got mine early so have the same problem with Astra Zeneca, the rest of the family is Pfizer. Not travelling until June so I'll be over a year since second vaccination by then, planning on switching to Pfizer/Moderna sometime before that if possible now that it is readily available.

5 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Forgive my confusion, but isn’t this old news ?  My Australian cruises for next spring were cancelled months ago.  What has changed ?

22/23 season will go ahead, we're approaching 90% vaccination in several states now. If we weren't so slow at the start some of this 21/22 season may have been salvageable. 

It's a bit weird here at the moment, the states control their own borders so it's entirely possible there will be a scenario here where some of us can travel overseas but not to other states within Australia. I'd stay away from here until the 23/24 season,  but judging by your upcoming cruises you are busy until then anyways! 😀

Okay, I have the solution for an Australian cruise. All the Australian RCB community pitch in and charter a ship, ferry, yacht, row boat, floaty, whatever gets us out onto the water, and have ourselves a sail away party. I am lucky being in Sydney, I can catch the Manly ferry and ride it all day, to and fro. Just not sure if I go with the white party theme or 70's theme? 

Here’s a article announcing the news that RC is scraping the season.

In it , it has some hype about the future.

Lelepa is on the go !   2024!

And I’ll bet my last crown&anchor drinks voucher there’s a oasis class.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/royal-caribbean-forced-to-cancel-2021-season-as-government-continues-to-dither/

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Maybe Royal pulling the pin (as well as others that already have) created some motivation to wake up.

And wasn't there a post somewhere about Royal continuing to hold out hope?  

Our NSW premier basically demanded Sydney international boarders be opened up to everyone.
Our prime minister will only allow Australian citizens only  for the time being.

Theres a lot of people in the tourist industry that’s not happy.

I believe Royal Caribbean are transferring Ovation’s crew to other ships so they can hang on to them.

There May be a announcement next week but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

17 hours ago, twangster said:

Maybe Royal pulling the pin (as well as others that already have) created some motivation to wake up.

And wasn't there a post somewhere about Royal continuing to hold out hope?  

This is the latest, there’s a lot of backlash directed at the federal government.

Gavin Smith is the head RC apac and represents the cruise lines in Australia. 
And I don’t know if it’s over yet,It looks like he is still working on it.

Maybe cancelling ovation was a publicity stunt to embarrass our fearless leaders.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-ideas/cruises/ovation-of-the-seas-cancels-cruise-season-destroying-holiday-plans/news-story/29ab138bb4ccd7b4abe1c7255f463759

28 minutes ago, Chili said:

Royal Caribbean Australia has launched a digital brochure.

It now has Lelepa as a destination port and a video of a oasis class.

Great news.  Timing for Wonder kind of works and explains the secrecy with Wonder plans after the Med & TA to Florida.   

Not sure how timing of the repo works in terms of getting there for the start of the 2022-2023 summer but we’ll have to wait and see.  Maybe it’s the 2023-2024 summer which gives more time for Lelepa construction after a turn in Singapore or Hong Kong.  

Either way it certainly is starting to come together.  Australia is an important market.  Ships down under sell well. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Great news.  Timing for Wonder kind of works and explains the secrecy with Wonder plans after the Med & TA to Florida.   

Not sure how timing of the repo works in terms of getting there for the start of the 2022-2023 summer but we’ll have to wait and see.  Maybe it’s the 2023-2024 summer which gives more time for Lelepa construction after a turn in Singapore or Hong Kong.  

Either way it certainly is starting to come together.  Australia is an important market.  Ships down under sell well. 

I believe the ships that sail in Australia and then to Alaska are the biggest revenue ships.

As for Wonder.

I was reading a article how the US senate is currently drafting more sanctions on China.

China said if it is passed it will block all U.S. commercial ships , freight and cruise from using its ports .   Flagged or not.

17 minutes ago, Chili said:

I believe the ships that sail in Australia and then to Alaska are the biggest revenue ships.

As for Wonder.

I was reading a article how the US senate is currently drafting more sanctions on China.

China said if it is passed it will block all U.S. commercial ships , freight and cruise from using its ports .   Flagged or not.

Good thing Royal Caribbean is not a US company and has no US ships.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Maybe 2023-2024 season but Lelepa is being advertised as a destination

That Royal promotion video has bought back so many memories. No matter how many times we visit those destinations, we always find something new to see and do. I could live in a cardboard box at Champagne Bay Vanuatu, pictures don't do it justice, you need to experience it. 

I can not wait to cruise from my backyard. We are too spoilt Downunder  

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Both are important markets but not even close to number one.  The Caribbean and Florida is the cruise capital of the world for a reason.   At least for Royal, and Carnival, and others.

That's not to say that Australia isn't very important and worthy, but Alaska and Australia are not the top revenue markets for Royal.

Australia is definitely a money maker for Royal.  That is not in question.  Australia is worthy of an Oasis class ship.   Royal placing one in the Pacific will have a business plan that includes Australia.  Of that there is no doubt.  

1 hour ago, CruisingOz said:

That Royal promotion video has bought back so many memories. No matter how many times we visit those destinations, we always find something new to see and do. I could live in a cardboard box at Champagne Bay Vanuatu, pictures don't do it justice, you need to experience it. 

I can not wait to cruise from my backyard. We are too spoilt Downunder  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Both are important markets but not even close to number one.  The Caribbean and Florida is the cruise capital of the world for a reason.   At least for Royal, and Carnival, and others.

That's not to say that Australia isn't very important and worthy, but Alaska and Australia are not the top revenue markets for Royal.

Australia is definitely a money maker for Royal.  That is not in question.  Australia is worthy of an Oasis class ship.   Royal placing one in the Pacific will have a business plan that includes Australia.  Of that there is no doubt.  

Mystery island would have to be the best.

I worked on trawlers out of cairns for many years ,many islands,many adventures  and mystery would be up there with the best.

twanster did you get to mystery island when you where here a couple of years ago?

22 minutes ago, Chili said:

Mystery island would have to be the best

Mystery Island is nice, but the coral is nothing like other islands and beaches. Also Mystery can have a bad run of stingers when exploring the channel. We have bathed in vinegar on more than one occasion, but it all depends on the wind and current. A really nice beach day. We enjoy snorkelling and diving, so this would influence our opinions on destinations.

Is has been 596 days since I have been on a cruise ship but who is counting? I don't care where the ship takes me, I just want to cruise again.  

On 10/21/2021 at 11:22 PM, CruisingOz said:

Mystery Island is nice, but the coral is nothing like other islands and beaches. Also Mystery can have a bad run of stingers when exploring the channel. We have bathed in vinegar on more than one occasion, but it all depends on the wind and current. A really nice beach day. We enjoy snorkelling and diving, so this would influence our opinions on destinations.

Is has been 596 days since I have been on a cruise ship but who is counting? I don't care where the ship takes me, I just want to cruise again.  

@CruisingOzThis inquiring mind wishes to know -- what is your itinerary from Feb - Oct 2022?  Land cruising in the USA, perhaps?

5 minutes ago, IRMO12HD said:

what is your itinerary from Feb - Oct 2022?  Land cruising in the USA

@IRM012HD we would love to do a land cruise of the US one day. It is a great country and so much to experience. For work in my previous life, I have been lucky enough to visit many states, but my wife has only been to New York and Alaska. Our tourist visa is only 90 days, so a little limited. We plan to fly out of the US home early March and then back to Hawaii in Sept. Maybe 2023 for more land time in the US 

10 hours ago, CruisingOz said:

@IRM012HD we would love to do a land cruise of the US one day. It is a great country and so much to experience. For work in my previous life, I have been lucky enough to visit many states, but my wife has only been to New York and Alaska. Our tourist visa is only 90 days, so a little limited. We plan to fly out of the US home early March and then back to Hawaii in Sept. Maybe 2023 for more land time in the US 

@CruisingOz, like your wife, I have only been to two "states" in Australia -- NSW (Sydney) and Queensland (Cairns), and am hoping to visit for longer (and farther afield) in March/April 2023 when we (hopefully my DH and I, although he's reluctant to travel right now) visit Australia to board Ovation of the Seas on her TransPacific back to Honolulu.

6 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

although he's reluctant to travel right now

The Federal Government are opening the boarders to NSW (Sydney) for travellers but Queensland state remains shut to international visitors, so it may be early to mid 2022 before I would travel back to Australia. Come join us on the Transpacific from Hawaii to Sydney in Oct 2022 on the Ovation. Spend the summer in Australia, although it may be way warmer and humid than a Washington State summer.  Life down under would be back to normal by then.