Royal Caribbean Blog

What is something you'll never do again on a cruise?

On 1/5/2021 at 9:34 AM, monctonguy said:

I always wonder why people have such disdain for Nassau.....

I mean its one thing to stay on the ship cause you have so many fun activities planned, its pouring rain etc.....but to simply refuse to get off the ship because its "Nassau" has always bewildered me....

I have enjoyed Nassau all 10x or so I have been there!

I can’t find a single redeeming thing about Nassau. I find it to be a garbage dump personally w/ pushy locals and not much to see or do (safely). For us, Nassau, Falmouth & Honduras are days to enjoy an empty ship. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Escape Room.  I've never done an activity that made me feel so incredibly stupid in my life.

We will never get off the ship with all of our luggage WITHOUT getting a porter again.  What a nightmare lugging it all through customs.  Then, in 2019, in Tampa, we used a Porter.  SMARTEST MOVE WE E

I will never tip the cabana attendant in advance again.  We were on Labadee in a cabana a few years ago.  We thought it would be easier to tip the attendant up front in case we got busy and forgot lat

58 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I can’t find a single redeeming thing about Nassau. I find it to be a garbage dump personally w/ pushy locals and not much to see or do (safely). For us, Nassau, Falmouth & Honduras are days to enjoy an empty ship. 

Nassau is a fun port with lots of things to keep you entertain for the entire time the ship is in port and I've never felt my safety or my husbands safety was threaten in Nassau. We always create our own shore excursions when in Nassau.

If your judgement of Honduras is based simply from the location of the port then you haven't seen what Honduras has to offer.  I will say Honduras needs to do a better job of securing the port and street and shop outside the port. A lady did try to pick pocket but me and my husband but because we were attentive she couldn't get us.  Having said that Honduras does have some beautiful beaches also there are a few island you can visit by just taking a short boat ride.

Jamaica is one of those islands that I just love, I love the people, the culture, the food, I've never felt  like my safety or the safety of my husband was in jeopardy.  Most times when we visit Jamaica we again we never book an excursion through Royal we always book our own or just do own thing. 

Hopefully you will give these islands another try.

Running to the MDR right when we get onboard to book all of our specialty meals with the UDP 🤣 

One day I will not be so OCD or such a worry wart about not getting what I want (that's one of the BEST BENEFITS of getting the UDP). We spent a good hour right when we got onboard to make sure we got all of our dining reservations sorted for the week... Not only did I not realize there are multiple places to make those reservations, but I also forgot that cruising is a fluid vacation... not a static one! Everything ended up changing after plans messed up our first nights' reservation! And we have never had any problems making a dining reservation for specialty dining. Maybe our preferred choice wasn't available when we wanted it, but we have always been able to make it work.

UDP/UBP = Stress LESS Drink MORE!

alcohol booze GIF

15 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Nassau is a fun port with lots of things to keep you entertain for the entire time the ship is in port and I've never felt my safety or my husbands safety was threaten in Nassau. We always create our own shore excursions when in Nassau.

If your judgement of Honduras is based simply from the location of the port then you haven't seen what Honduras has to offer.  I will say Honduras needs to do a better job of securing the port and street and shop outside the port. A lady did try to pick pocket but me and my husband but because we were attentive she couldn't get us.  Having said that Honduras does have some beautiful beaches also there are a few island you can visit by just taking a short boat ride.

Jamaica is one of those islands that I just love, I love the people, the culture, the food, I've never felt  like my safety or the safety of my husband was in jeopardy.  Most times when we visit Jamaica we again we never book an excursion through Royal we always book our own or just do own thing. 

Hopefully you will give these islands another try.

My opinion is based on being at each of the above referenced ports more then 20 times each. I agree Jamaica is a beautiful island but I find the locals to be even more pushy (regarding tips and money) then the locals in Nassau. I’ve tried just about every option in Nassau and British Colonial Hilton beach day is about all we find even “decent”. With that being said, we travel to the Bahamas all the time (on my boat) since it’s only 45 miles East of my home in Fort Lauderdale and the smaller islands (Bimini) are an entire different world from Nassau. My overall view of Nassau is jaded by what I know to be the real Bahamas. I find Nassau to be dirty and if you read the SD website you will notice it can also be a dangerous place for a wandering tourist. As far as Honduras, that’s gonna be a 100% “no go” since I have young children. I’ve witnessed drug deals, robberies and very pushy & demanding locals outside the port area which I am not taking chances with. I have seen the beach’s (they are just ok) , done the excursions and at this point in my life our time is better spent (and safer) on the ship. 

22 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I'd much rather get off at Nassau walk up to the fort ASAP when you dock, and walk back to the ship. Great exercise and globally poorly behaved people sleep in. It beats the walking track on ship by a country mile. 😉 If you need another reason, for any of us that can afford cruising, it is import to have a safe street level view of life that is commonplace throughout the world and in much of urban/rural America.  Please don't take this as a political judgement, as almost any post today could be viewed, I respect that many folks on vacation want to be on vacation. This is just another viewpoint on Nassau. 

21 hours ago, foxrunner said:

I'd much rather get off at Nassau walk up to the fort ASAP when you dock, and walk back to the ship. Great exercise and globally poorly behaved people sleep in. It beats the walking track on ship by a country mile. 😉 If you need another reason, for any of us that can afford cruising, it is import to have a safe street level view of life that is commonplace throughout the world and in much of urban/rural America.  Please don't take this as a political judgement, as almost any post today could be viewed, I respect that many folks on vacation want to be on vacation. This is just another viewpoint on Nassau. 

I’m trying really hard to follow you here. You are dissecting my opinion of Nassau and comparing to exercise and ones ability to afford a cruise vacation? I’m sorry, but you lost me on this one. No hard feelings, if you enjoy Nassau that’s wonderful. Also, the walking/jogging track on Oasis class ships is pretty great and IMHO beats walking the streets of Nassau any day of the week. 

On 1/4/2021 at 3:45 PM, JLMoran said:

OMG YES THIS!!!! How could I forget... oh, yeah, easily. That's how bad it was.

I tried to make sense of the word salad that was on the marquee, but thought The Gift might actually come together and be something good to photograph.  Hint:  It didn't and wasn't.  Only RCI show I won't go back to. (As opposed to Grease and Once Upon a Time, which are fun after 12 shows each).

Just thought of another thing I won't do again, that is actually on a cruise ship (actual thread topic) as opposed to on a cruise in general -- Getting a thermal suite pass.

The thermal suite on Anthem was nice, but the amount of time my wife and I spent there felt like "forced" time; we'd paid the money to go there, now I felt like I had to go most days, even though I didn't always particularly want to go. And while it was nice, it wasn't great or anything that left me glad I'd got it and spent all the time there.

On 1/3/2021 at 11:41 AM, Traveler said:

Go to a "sell expert" lecture during a crabbiean cruise 🙂

Actually I would attend one of those again if the presenter was Jenna Williams. I attended her show on my first cruise and was disappointed, but I loved her charisma and enthusiasm, I would actually go watch her again just for the show 😁