Last day of cruise and luggage

SassMaster

What do you do with your luggage?  I've read that we should leave it out in the hallway the night before then we pick it up at the port the next morning.  Is this mandatory?  What do you do with your shampoo and stuff that is over 3oz and cannot go into the carry on bag?  Do you just open it before checking in at the airport and repack stuff?  Do you just tote it with you in the morning?  Our flight doesn't leave until 4:30 so we have plenty of time to get off the ship.  Thanks!

No, it is not mandatory.  You can do what they call, "Self Assist" which means that you can carry all of your own bags off the ship, if you so desire.  They do this first thing...so before they start calling any luggage numbers (those people who have left their bags outside the cabin the night before), they allow those doing self assist to leave.  The upside is that you keep all of your bags with you, but downside is that you must get your bags off the ship yourself.  The elevators on disembarkation day are "difficult" at best and that is made even worse when you are trying to get yourself and all of your bags onto an elevator to get off the ship.  ...but if you want to keep your bags, you are certainly able to do that.

7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

No, it is not mandatory.  You can do what they call, "Self Assist" which means that you can carry all of your own bags off the ship, if you so desire.  They do this first thing...so before they start calling any luggage numbers (those people who have left their bags outside the cabin the night before), they allow those doing self assist to leave.  The upside is that you keep all of your bags with you, but downside is that you must get your bags off the ship yourself.  The elevators on disembarkation day are "difficult" at best and that is made even worse when you are trying to get yourself and all of your bags onto an elevator to get off the ship.  ...but if you want to keep your bags, you are certainly able to do that.

It's not that we need to keep an eye, I would just have to repack the next day or at least reconfigure the bags with the stuff we can't take in the carry on bags on the plane.  Annoying I suppose.  Since this is my first cruise...I don't know if it will be annoying or not.  Maybe dragging 2 large bags and our carry on bags from deck 8 to whatever deck we leave might be more annoying.  If we do let them take the bags, will the compass tell us when to leave them out there, what time we have to leave and where to pick them up? 

What time do we have to be off the ship? 

11 minutes ago, SassMaster said:

It's not that we need to keep an eye, I would just have to repack the next day or at least reconfigure the bags with the stuff we can't take in the carry on bags on the plane.  Annoying I suppose.  Since this is my first cruise...I don't know if it will be annoying or not.  Maybe dragging 2 large bags and our carry on bags from deck 8 to whatever deck we leave might be more annoying.  If we do let them take the bags, will the compass tell us when to leave them out there, what time we have to leave and where to pick them up? 

I do understand your concern.  It is always a challenge to decide what needs to be packed and sent outside and what needs to stay inside over night so that you can get properly dressed the next morning.  ...and yes, we always have to do a little repacking once we get to the airport b/c my toiletry bag, which stays with me over night, must be put inside the checked luggage.  So there is a bit of reshuffling to do the next day.

They will deliver an entire package to you on the last day (or sometimes, the night before the last day) which will provide all of the details about packing, putting your luggage out, providing you with luggage tags, etc.  If you still have questions, you can ask your room attendant or go to Guest Services.  It is a fairly straightforward process.

12 minutes ago, SassMaster said:

Knowing this is the process, you may want to consider downsizing your toiletries to fit within the carry-on standards so it won't be as much of an issue?  Otherwise I have found it pretty easy to just repack if needed once I get to the airport.

You will get information near the end of the cruise that will detail the process for you.  You will be told to leave your suitcases outside of the cabin the night before departure, typically by 11pm at night.  You will pick them up after you get off the ship and before you go through customs.  It will be a big warehouse type area and you will look for the luggage tag number you were assigned and find your bags there.

Typically the latest folks are off the ship is 9:30-9:45am.  Really depends on when they start the process of letting people off.  

Our decision is usually based on if we need off the ship early or want to hang around to kill time. If,we,are in a rush, we fight the crowded elevators and the lines getting off the ship and carry our bags, if we are killing time, we leave our bags out the night before, usually by 11 or 12 and just walk off with just carry on, this is much less hectic for sure. When you get to,the terminal to leave they will be at the number on the wall to match the bag tag numbers they left you to,put on your bags.

1 hour ago, MelKaps said:

If you decide to carry the bags off yourself, the elevators will be crowded. A great tip is to take an elevator up with all of your luggage before riding it back down. ?

That's actually really smart lol.

I saw people riding up with all their luggage and was wondering where they were going since the buffet is on the other side of the ship.

Now I finally realize these were pros.

My husband and I took the "walk off" option during our Allure sailing in August. The elevator issue (as others have noted) was our only problem, but even then, have a little patience and you'll be through in no time. Walking off was very quick and getting through customs was a breeze--thankfully due to having nothing to declare. At this point in our cruise life, we recommend it. Saves time, in our opinion, and gets you on your way pretty quickly.

On 1/16/2020 at 3:40 PM, MelKaps said:

If you decide to carry the bags off yourself, the elevators will be crowded. A great tip is to take an elevator up with all of your luggage before riding it back down. ?

I read this tip here before, but I'm still not understanding it.  If we're on deck 10 and need to get to the deck where we disembark, we'll go up?  Up as in deck 11 or 12?  

On 1/16/2020 at 5:07 PM, TJ! said:

That's actually really smart lol.

I saw people riding up with all their luggage and was wondering where they were going since the buffet is on the other side of the ship.

Now I finally realize these were pros.

LOL, I'd like to hear how it works?

On 1/17/2020 at 7:25 AM, SassMaster said:

Thank you!!  I feel better.  I think that since it is getting so close now....22 days, I'm getting a bit nervous at all the unknowns.  lol 

Our cruise is in a few weeks and I'm getting jittery too!  The good thing is you have some time to choose.  Our first cruise, we left our luggage outside our door, and worried about it.  We couldn't locate one of our luggage in the cruise port, but eventually found it.  I think we're going to try self-assist this time around.  Enjoy your cruise!!!

On 1/18/2020 at 9:22 AM, sabarwolf said:

My husband and I took the "walk off" option during our Allure sailing in August. The elevator issue (as others have noted) was our only problem, but even then, have a little patience and you'll be through in no time. Walking off was very quick and getting through customs was a breeze--thankfully due to having nothing to declare. At this point in our cruise life, we recommend it. Saves time, in our opinion, and gets you on your way pretty quickly.

What time did you leave the ship?

10 minutes ago, raahc said:

I read this tip here before, but I'm still not understanding it.  If we're on deck 10 and need to get to the deck where we disembark, we'll go up?  Up as in deck 11 or 12?  

When people are trying to leave the ship, usually when food venues are open-particularly WJ, you will find that it is difficult to get an elevator down when people are all heading up to the floor WJ is on.  Depending on your ship and being on deck 10, you may not find this to be an issue.  However, those on say deck 6 are likely to find this to be more of an issue.  Once WJ is closed, this tip is less of an issue but still good to keep it in mind in case you struggle to get an elevator that isn't full.

47 minutes ago, raahc said:

What we're saying here is....get on any elevator you can, regardless of which direction it is going.  Eventually you will get to where you are going even if you have to go up first.  If you wait for a "down" elevator, you will find that they are all going to be full.  Get on when you can.

3 hours ago, CruisinUpinLife said:

When people are trying to leave the ship, usually when food venues are open-particularly WJ, you will find that it is difficult to get an elevator down when people are all heading up to the floor WJ is on.  Depending on your ship and being on deck 10, you may not find this to be an issue.  However, those on say deck 6 are likely to find this to be more of an issue.  Once WJ is closed, this tip is less of an issue but still good to keep it in mind in case you struggle to get an elevator that isn't full.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

What we're saying here is....get on any elevator you can, regardless of which direction it is going.  Eventually you will get to where you are going even if you have to go up first.  If you wait for a "down" elevator, you will find that they are all going to be full.  Get on when you can.

Ahh, I got it now, thank you both!

9 hours ago, raahc said:

What time did you leave the ship?

I want to say we were off the ship by 9am, but I don't remember specifically. We had breakfast in the Windjammer right away when it opened, finishing about 7 (ship was docking while we were having breakfast), headed back to our stateroom for our luggage, and then headed off the ship.