DJsMrs

The Magnificent Seven Tropic Like it's Hot - Allure 12'08'19 - Star Class

1 hour ago, DJsMrs said:

Additionally, the thought of drinking a cold slushy drink through a paper straw is gag-worthy so we have invested in some reusable straws (with the hopes that the consumption of said slushy drink doesn't result in the straw being lost or forgotten).  

I am SO glad you mentioned this.  As soon as I read your post I went on Amazon and ordered some  non-bio-degradable good ol' fashioned run-of-the-mill, old timey clear plastic straws.  No Johnny Rockets malts with gag-worthy (where have I heard that ??) paper straws for ME on this trip !

Thanks all.  We don’t need private ice time.  The boys aren’t rail holders - so they usually enjoy the open centre area as I pray they don’t run into anyone 🤪.  They’re good skaters - but they sometimes forget that most people in the ship aren’t.  Lol

I can’t wait for this review and all of the other Star Class reviews.  We are taking our first Star Class Cruise in April and have just never been more excited.  I have an 11 year old also.  Thank you for taking the time to bring us along.  I think starting this blog 45 days ahead really represented a great amount of strength from you-is 150 days too soon?!?  😜

Oh Amazon - you make me so happy.  As various packages arrive, it's a lovely daily reminder of our pending vacay!   Travel straws have arrived, as have shoe bags to pack our shoes in an effort to keep our suitcases cleaner and more organized (I hope).  We use packing cubes too - so things tend to be pretty clean and organized in our suitcases.  Waiting for the sunscreen and portable travel fan...  I've also prepped some ducks for the kids to hide on the ship - I'm not sure why I think they'll be bored and in need of something to do, but it should be a fun activity for them.  

In much more exciting news - we got our Genie email!!! Our email came from Alan, but he's going in vacay and we will have Luciano!  Have read good things about him and we are very excited.  

Question for those with star class experience - how much did you include in your reply to the initial email?  I feel like I'm writing a minor novella and don't want to scare off our genie.  Not doing all the planning is a bit of a challenge. Working hard to adopt Elsa's mantra "let it go".  

I've indicated our dining, entertainment and activities requests  and given info about our embarkation day plans, and requests for drinks in the room...  anything I'm missing?

@Lovetocruise2002 @WAAAYTOOO I'm lookin at you 😉

2 hours ago, DJsMrs said:

Question for those with star class experience - how much did you include in your reply to the initial email? 

I sent a whole Word document.  Details of everything.  If you PM your email address, I will share it with you.  😉

Luciano has been all over the place since becoming a Genie.  He's gone from Harmony, to Ovation, and now Allure.

I love it when we get the first Genie email.  I know it's really going to happen, then !!

I usually do not write a LOT in my emails but I do write a LOT of emails to the Genie.  I'm sure that Joyce is extremely pleased that I am not bugging the s**t out of her right now, since I am away on travel (hello from beautiful Bahrain, BTW !!).  I actually think the Genies appreciate it when you communicate your "wishes" to them...that way they do not have to guess about what you want.  Perhaps this is just wishful thinking on my part - a way to soothe my guilty, overly verbose, conscience.  LOL

IMO, the only information that you really NEED to provide to the Genie is what you want to happen on boarding day.  All of the subsequent days you can play by ear but boarding day will go much more smoothly if they know what you need for them to handle up front.  There are certain particular exceptions such as any requests for Labadee cabanas, etc but those are fairly few.  I believe that there are few requests that you might make that will be truly unique to the Genie.  I have yet to have a Genie say to me, "WOW !  You are the first person who ever asked me to do THAT !"

Allow me to interject a small personal anecdote here.  Since I AM in the Middle East, I purchased a beautiful Aladdin's Lamp today for my Genie gift.  Do you think that is a totally lame gift ?  It's not large (being mindful of the lack of personal space that Genie's have in their room) - maybe 6-8 inches from end-to-end.  I think it's lovely.  Joyce may hate it.  It was an impulse buy (as were the 7 Pashmina wraps, the 5 beautiful hand made Turkish bowls/platters...and the gorgeous opal ring....that I bought, courtesy of the awesome  local souq !!).  I always have trouble with the Genie gifts.  I saw this and thought immediately of Joyce.  I guess that's a good thing... ??

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I actually think the Genies appreciate it when you communicate your "wishes" to them...that way they do not have to guess about what you want. 

^^^This right here.^^^ So true.  So many people go into star class with all these expectations and then fail to communicate it to their Genie.  Genies are not mind readers.  Then they go home disappointed and complain that their experience was sub par.  It is not fair the the Genie.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I purchased a beautiful Aladdin's Lamp today for my Genie gift. 

I love that idea!  I think it's perfect.  Let us know how it goes.

I have 470 days to go until my first star class cruise, so I eagerly read as much as I can, and look forward to following along with your trip!

Surprising the kids is so much fun. We had a blast with our surprise cruise and more that we took in September with our kids.

25 days and counting.  

I've been communicating with my genie - sort of.  Our email came from Alan, but he will be on vacay so he will pass everything on to Luciano... not sure when Alan is leaving, but he's been amazing with pre-cruise communications.   The only bummer is that we wanted a seafood tower (from 150) and a charcuterie board (from Giovanni's) for sail away - but he put the kaibosh on that plan.  We can only order from one restaurant at a time.  As soon as I read his email I remember reading about this with other peoples' experiences, so wasn't too surprised.  I'm sure we will survive... talk about a first world problem.  haha

The last few amazon orders have been trickling in.  We now have our reef-friendly sunscreen, travel straws, shoe bags - and maybe my fave little toy is the portable rechargeable personal little fan.  I've also been prepping my travel first aid kit and replenishing various items (cue the swimmer's ear drops).  

I've started gathering things for the "fun bag" and will probably get it packed this weekend, and then have the kids try on their summer clothes to make sure everything still fits.  I'm looking forward to packing light and making use of the laundry services.

Hard to believe it's just over three weeks until we head to our pre-flight hotel room...  it's been a long year of waiting!  So hard to not tell the kids - I'm bursting.  

Also have been wracking my brain to think of a little genie gift for Luciano - we'd like to bring something unique to Vancouver - but I know they don't have very big cabins.   There are a couple of local chocolate shops that make some amazing morsels of heaven - so we may opt for that...  I'm open to ideas if anyone can think of something.   We have some amazing wine here - so maybe that's an option too.  Aiming for something small and usable so it doesn't have to be "stored."

3 hours ago, DJsMrs said:

We can only order from one restaurant at a time.  As soon as I read his email I remember reading about this with other peoples' experiences, so wasn't too surprised.

Yes, sounds pretty consistent with other ships lately.

OK, this has been kind of bugging me and I just have to ask...

Are your husband's initials "DJ", and you're his missus? Or is your husband a disk jockey and you're his missus? Or is he a DJ who's also got the initials DJ?

Kind of hoping for at least the second one; we need more disc jockeys in this place. So far the only one I'm aware of is @Jaymac Radio😁

41 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

OK, this has been kind of bugging me and I just have to ask...

Are your husband's initials "DJ", and you're his missus? Or is your husband a disk jockey and you're his missus? Or is he a DJ who's also got the initials DJ?

Kind of hoping for at least the second one; we need more disc jockeys in this place. So far the only one I'm aware of is @Jaymac Radio😁

Ha - yes, and good catch.    He was a club DJ here in town and I was working in a bar where he had a residency when we met.   He still gets some gigs here and there, but I’ll always be “the DJ’s Mrs. ” 🤣🤣