Uber ride from the San Juan Airport

puertorican

From this morning news, starting today Tuesday 10/15/2019 Uber can pick you up at the SJU Airport after the Managing company that operates the airport reach an agreement with Uber.

Here the instructions given by the Airport to reach to your Uber ride; "Simple Steps to follow to use Uber from the airport, the user goes to the ground floor of Terminal A or B of the airport. Here you will find an area properly labeled as a "Ridesharing" platform area. Once there, use the Uber application on your device to connect with the driver partner. The car will be identified as 'Uber' with a sign on its front glass".

Hope this helps anyone who uses this platform.

But as with any other city, the regular taxi drivers are having protests for this !!!!  

You know, I have never used Uber ...... It's something I've always been curious about.  Up here in the rural area, it's not as readily available as it is in the metro areas.  Everyone tells me it's a lot less expensive as a Taxi .... one of my fears stems from the murder of that USC girl that got into a perceived, Uber, vehicle a while back.

15 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

You know, I have never used Uber ...... It's something I've always been curious about.  Up here in the rural area, it's not as readily available as it is in the metro areas.  Everyone tells me it's a lot less expensive as a Taxi .... one of my fears stems from the murder of that USC girl that got into a perceived, Uber, vehicle a while back.

All you need to do is ensure the license plate, make and model match what the app says should be picking you up.  If they don't, don't get in.

Not long ago coming off a cruise I was jumping in a cab after clearing through CBP at terminal 18 in Port Everglades.  A woman behind me threw her luggage in my cab's trunk and out of the blue joined me without so much as asking where I was going.  I could have been going home, to a train station, a shopping mall, an airport, a gentleman's club, etc.  She didn't care, she just jumped in the cab with me.   SMH.

22 minutes ago, twangster said:

All you need to do is ensure the license plate, make and model match what the app says should be picking you up.  If they don't, don't get in.

Not long ago coming off a cruise I was jumping in a cab after clearing through CBP at terminal 18 in Port Everglades.  A woman behind me threw her luggage in my cab's trunk and out of the blue joined me without so much as asking where I was going.  I could have been going home, to a train station, a shopping mall, an airport, a gentleman's club, etc.  She didn't care, she just jumped in the cab with me.   SMH.

So, it's really that simple?  Do you pay with cash, like a normal cab ride, or, are there options to pay with plastic .... and, is the rate pre-determined?  Being in an unfamiliar area, how am I to know the fastest route without getting taken advantage of? (Or course, who's to say that couldn't happen with a cab ride)

50 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

My personal choice is Lyft but I've used both and I really like it. As a female, knowing exactly who is picking me up and knowing their license plate makes me feel safe. It's a huge help getting to the airport when driving isn't the best choice. I use it for work trips to get around and for nights out when I'd like to have more than one drink.

I started using more regularly when I called a taxi to get my to the train station for a work trip and the cab company told me it would be a while because they were busy....I live in a very populated suburb. No thank you, I don't have time to wait.  Uber/Lyft tends to be cleaner because there is a rating system and they want you to give them a high rating.

There are some misses though. Coming home in January from the airport there were no small cars so I had to pay the difference for an SUV, for myself which made the price higher. A lot higher for a Saturday afternoon ride home. I also had a Lyft driver who had a diabetic issue while driving and didn't have his meds so he dropped us off at the hospital whiel he went to the ER. Sad for him but crazy for us who had to scramble to get another ride to the airport.

26 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

So, it's really that simple?  Do you pay with cash, like a normal cab ride, or, are there options to pay with plastic .... and, is the rate pre-determined?  Being in an unfamiliar area, how am I to know the fastest route without getting taken advantage of? (Or course, who's to say that couldn't happen with a cab ride)

I was a skeptic, too...and it has only been very recently that I decided to try Uber.

It's so easy.  They send you a fare, up front, you pay with a CC that has already been attached to the app and they track the vehicle to your location, give you a description and license plate number of the vehicle and a picture and name of the driver.  It really couldn't be easier.

There are still times when we choose to use a taxi or a shuttle but we now choose Uber some of the time.  Even Dan uses it occasionally !!

15 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

The app requires a credit card.  When you create an account you provide a credit card.  Then you open the app and tell it where you want to go.  It uses the GPS in your phone to figure out where you are.  Based on your destination the app provides a price.  It factors in traffic and other things like demand.  During periods of increased demand pricing can go up (surge pricing).  If demand is low, prices drop.  

I have both Uber and Lyft loaded and often look in both to see if one or the other is cheaper.  I tend to find Lyft is cheaper and prefer Lyft but sometimes Uber is cheaper.  My Lyft account is tied to my Delta account so I get a mile for every dollar spent.  

Sometimes like in Port Everglades in the heat of the summer I don't feel like waiting and cabs are just a few bucks more so I just grab a cab.

In other cases like Port of Miami all the way up to Fort Lauderdale airport a cab is much more costly.

Here is a Lyft receipt from a hotel near BWI to the cruise port in Baltimore:

59196196_LyftBaltimore.thumb.jpeg.fcbafd33959a2d4d4bfda52865c12abd.jpeg

A cab was just under $40.  Lyft was $15.25.

This is awesome ......

Thank you everyone for your input on this ..... this old-timer doesn't always comfortably adapt to change too quickly..... but this seems simple enough, even for me.

I'd be really curious as to the cost differential in SJ - I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Mark

I feel MORE safe and secure in an Uber or Lyft than I ever have in any cab (and I’ve traveled the world while in the Air Force). We recently just went to México City to visit with a friend who works for the embassy, and the embassy RECOMMENDS using ride sharing because they are safer! 

On 10/18/2019 at 12:39 PM, Ray said:

we used Uber in San Juan last year, Uber from hotel to airport was half the price of taxi from airport to hotel 

yes!  The 'fixed rate' from the airport to our hotel that we could see from the runway was the same as our 15 minute taxi ride from the hotel to the pier (which was twice the rate of our Uber from the pier back to the hotel!) So frustrating to be forced to pay whatever they choose.

On 10/18/2019 at 7:53 AM, twangster said:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, mrp4352 said:

yes!  The 'fixed rate' from the airport to our hotel that we could see from the runway was the same as our 15 minute taxi ride from the hotel to the pier (which was twice the rate of our Uber from the pier back to the hotel!) So frustrating to be forced to pay whatever they choose.

same here we stayed at the Courtyard by Marriot in Isla Verde which was $24 or there abouts from airport by taxi and about $10 to old San Juan or Cruise Pier by Uber which was a greater distance

Just used Lyft for first time ever in Ft Laudedale airport to cruise port. I just am not techy, but,it,was pretty easy. We checked,with cab from Fll to port, it was 25 dollars, Lyft was 11, that's a huge difference, left 5 dollar tip, so,cab would have been 30 bucks, it,was 16 with Lyft, I used my American Express on file and no money was exchanged, it gives you tipping options, or you can tip with cash, just could not believe how much cheaper it was, I,even offered the cabbie 18 plus tip, he wouldn't take it.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting this October update re: Uber pick-up from SJU.  It's about time!

I'm landing at SJU in 2 weeks (Dec. 31, 2019) and wondering if anything has changed.  There is little-or-nothing available on this topic other than what you've posted.  I just tried scheduling an airport pick-up on my Uber app, and it appeared to go through.

Please confirm that Uber is still picking up at SJU.

Thanks!!!

- Lucas