Jump to content
zuzuflub

Oasis Class Ship to Australia?

Recommended Posts

Welcome to the message boards!

I know a lot of people who would be very excited to see that come to fruition and it may one day.  There is a lot of work that needs to get done before it can though.

Currently Brisbane is the only port capable of taking such a large ship.  Once several more ports of call expand to accept mega ships it could be become a reality.

Five, ten or fifteen years from now will be very different from today.  Hopefully in that period some more ports decide to grow to accommodate bigger ships because Royal isn't the only cruise line with plans for larger and larger ships.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like Sydney will be able to grow to accommodate mega ships which is a huge blow to the effort to bring Oasis to Australia.

RCCL’s Associate Vice President of Marine & Safety, Captain Nik Antalis recently addressed the Australian Cruise Association conference and he was clearly trying to motivate the Australian cruise industry to start thinking about it.  Otherwise in a decade or two no mega ship will be able to call on Australia.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, am I correct that Oasis Class do not tender? So this would also have to be taken into consideration.

For cruises to the South Pacific there would be very few ports that could handle it - if any currently.

For New Zealand I imagine Napier, Tauranga, Wellington & Lyttleton (once new pier is complete) should be able to accommodate but at this stage Ovation has to tender in the Harbour when visiting Auckland, which would therefore not even be possible with an Oasis Class ship. 

I’d say more likely an Oasis Class ship would get to Asia before Australia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's as norm until mid 2022.. except with the addition of this guy..

Wb2Jl5e.png

Napier NZ has Quantum in port 18-Jan-2022. So could it be Quantum? This is in addition to Ovation so that would mean 2 Q's out of Sydney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shanenz84 said:

Also, am I correct that Oasis Class do not tender? 

That is correct! It is simply too difficult to arrange the disembarkation of over 6000 people on tender boats. And additionally, as a Napier local, I'd say it is very unlikely that our port is capable of an Oasis class ship. To date, Ovation has been the biggest to dock and it was basically the maximum. In saying this, Napier Port has just invested in a large scheme to expand so as @twangster  said, give it a few years and anything is possible!

Here's hoping that Icon Class ships can find their way to this corner of the world!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mattymay said:

Wb2Jl5e.png

Place your bets! Is it an Oasis #5 or an Icon class?

The largest ship to dock in the Sydney Cruise Port to date has been the Queen Mary II, which has rocketed the port into expansion, so Oasis Class is not completely out of the question!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brycemo said:

Place your bets! Is it an Oasis #5 or an Icon class?

The largest ship to dock in the Sydney Cruise Port to date has been the Queen Mary II, which has rocketed the port into expansion, so Oasis Class is not completely out of the question!

Or Edge class. RCCL covers all brands, not just RCI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, brycemo said:

Place your bets! Is it an Oasis #5 or an Icon class?

Definitely not Oasis #5 and Icon is not due until 2022 so I can't see it being that either.

 

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Or Edge class. RCCL covers all brands, not just RCI. 

Celebrity are usually listed as 'Celebrity Cruises Inc' on this schedule. Unless it's a decoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously it's the Australian market which royal treat as 2nd rate. Just look at the supposed Amp of Voyager. Latest update they are removing Johnn Rockets and replacing it with nothing. Less food options but an extra 70 cabins. When you click on that link on the website it brings up Quantam.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mattymay said:

Celebrity are usually listed as 'Celebrity Cruises Inc' on this schedule. Unless it's a decoy.

Unlikely it's a decoy... It could maybe even be Odyssey of the Seas, but was entered before the naming? Seems unlikely but there doesn't seem to be an obvious option for this mystery ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

Seriously it's the Australian market which royal treat as 2nd rate. Just look at the supposed Amp of Voyager. Latest update they are removing Johnn Rockets and replacing it with nothing. Less food options but an extra 70 cabins. When you click on that link on the website it brings up Quantam.

 

My thoughts exactly. I was so sad to hear that Johnny Rockets was being removed. Burgers and shakes are my guilty pleasure and I was so looking forward to indulging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Vanessa77 said:

My thoughts exactly. I was so sad to hear that Johnny Rockets was being removed. Burgers and shakes are my guilty pleasure and I was so looking forward to indulging. 

Simply an excuse to book another cruise on another ship!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this 'unnamed ship' is in fact Quantum, this would mean a replacement would have to be sought in Asia as it's currently sailing there year-round. Hence my thoughts of the possibility of an Oasis Class heading to Asia at the end of 2021 freeing Quantum to come down to Australia. The only other thought here I would imagine OA 5 will just free up an Oasis Class to go to Galveston, TX though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brycemo said:

Simply an excuse to book another cruise on another ship!

Unfortunately Voyager was the only ship cruising from Aus that had Johnny Rockets.

I'll certainly be considering booking another cruise though, just as soon as I've actually gone on my first cruise.....(104 days away now)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They need to being new class of ship sooner or later, because let's face it, once you've done a South Pacific and New Zealand cruise you're pretty much done in this part of the world. It then becomes more about the ship and new/different experiences it can offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Seriously it's the Australian market which royal treat as 2nd rate. Just look at the supposed Amp of Voyager. Latest update they are removing Johnn Rockets and replacing it with nothing. Less food options but an extra 70 cabins. When you click on that link on the website it brings up Quantam.

 

Ovation was the newest Quantum class ship until Spectrum came along but Spectrum was purpose built specifically for Asia.  So to say Australia is treated 2nd rate isn't fair.  Australia has had the newest non-Asian ship that can fit into Sydney for some time now.

If Australia had expanded it's ports 10 years ago Oasis class would probably already be there.  Oasis deployed in 2009 so Australia has had 10 years to work on this.  It's too bad Australia treats Royal 2nd rate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 3:26 AM, mattymay said:

They need to being new class of ship sooner or later, because let's face it, once you've done a South Pacific and New Zealand cruise you're pretty much done in this part of the world. It then becomes more about the ship and new/different experiences it can offer.

Convince your leaders to expand your ports.  Royal is trying to, that's why they spoke at the convention but they alone can't motivate your ports to expand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Shanenz84 said:

If this 'unnamed ship' is in fact Quantum, this would mean a replacement would have to be sought in Asia as it's currently sailing there year-round. Hence my thoughts of the possibility of an Oasis Class heading to Asia at the end of 2021 freeing Quantum to come down to Australia. The only other thought here I would imagine OA 5 will just free up an Oasis Class to go to Galveston, TX though. 

Royal has had Spectrum in the booking system long enough to know if the region can support two Q ships in Asia at the same time.  It's possible with Spectrum now in China that they are looking to adjust capacity and have Quantum spend some of it's time elsewhere.   

Royal has been very successful in China but I'm not sure if that success would support Spectrum and OA5 at the same time.  That's a pretty significant bump in capacity, demand would have to be very strong, like Spectrum is consistently sold out months in advance kind of demand.

If OA5 goes to Galveston that could free up a Freedom class ship to find a new home somewhere.  Freedom class would fit into Australia now and be something new.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Convince your leaders to expand your ports.  Royal is trying to, that why they spoke at the convention but they alone can't motivate your ports to expand.

Look I'm sure the current situation is fine for 90% of the population out there. It's that 10% who really love cruising that would like to see more variety in ships and itineraries. So the minority convincing leaders to expand ports seems unlikely.

We've traveled to Miami before and are happy to keep doing so to have these experiences but it would be nice to spend that $6000 in air fares on more cruising!! 🙂

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fact,  I did something stupid the other week!

After one too many scotches and in that mood where you just wanna book a cruise, I went and booked Carnival Mardi Gras! 😱 Realizing what I had done the next day, I've now had to book a trip to Coco Cay each side of that cruise so I don't feel so dirty!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twangster said:

Ovation was the newest Quantum class ship until Spectrum came along but Spectrum was purpose built specifically for Asia.  So to say Australia is treated 2nd rate isn't fair.  Australia has had the newest non-Asian ship that can fit into Sydney for some time now.

If Australia had expanded it's ports 10 years ago Oasis class would probably already be there.  Oasis deployed in 2009 so Australia has had 10 years to work on this.  It's too bad Australia treats Royal 2nd rate.  

The amplification of all ships compared to Voyager shows what it is important. Voyager recieved the adition of the waterslides as the only real positive. To add 70+ cabins and actually take away dining options is terrible.  Both Mariner and navigator get playmakers and the Bamboo room. Mariner has Boleros, Nav Hooked.  Mariner Johhny Rockets and Doghouse. Navigator Johnny rockets and El Loco Fresh. Voyager has none of these.

 

Can you see them swapping either of the other 2 ships with Voyager. I dont think so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

The amplification of all ships compared to Voyager shows what it is important. Voyager recieved the adition of the waterslides as the only real positive. To add 70+ cabins and actually take away dining options is terrible.  Both Mariner and navigator get playmakers and the Bamboo room. Mariner has Boleros, Nav Hooked.  Mariner Johhny Rockets and Doghouse. Navigator Johnny rockets and El Loco Fresh. Voyager has none of these.

 

Can you see them swapping either of the other 2 ships with Voyager. I dont think so. 

Royal has to consider many things when it looks at AMPs and refreshments.  Voyager's market beyond Australia is a factor in that, it has to appeal to vastly different cultures more so than ships in the West.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...