Sound machine allowed?

My kids both sleep with a sound machine. I was planning on bringing them in a carry on because of the cords. I don't think they will be confiscated because their is no surge protection, but I thought I would see if anyone has any experience bringing something like this onboard. Thoughts?

31 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

My kids both sleep with a sound machine. I was planning on bringing them in a carry on because of the cords. I don't think they will be confiscated because their is no surge protection, but I thought I would see if anyone has any experience bringing something like this onboard. 

My guess (just a guess) is that sound machines, although not medically necessary, would be treated like CPAP machines and be OK.

However, as an alternate solution, I use a fan noise phone app. I've also seen apps more aligned to white noise sounds. Even if the ship allows the machine, it may be easier to eliminate carrying it by using a phone app. Just my opinion.

Following because I'm curious as well and plan on bringing two noise machines since we will all be in one room with my 18 mo and 4 yo. Need all the white noise I can get. I also plan on requesting a fan as well for additional noise ?. But as Twangster pointed out, there might not be enough outlets for all these extras and apparently some people have had their power strips confiscated before boarding. 

It's been a LONG time since my last cruise, but back in the day I had luck with these bad boys:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UE7SC8/?coliid=I2RUK5KY694XZQ&colid=27FAG42S5W2OK&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

No wire or surge protection, but grounded.  No one ever gave me any trouble.

As an aside, on my last family trip, we foolishly left our sound machine/projector at home, and the boys were not happy about it.  Downloaded an app from the Apple Store called Night Light which provided a nice choice and volume of white noise options AND scrolled through a series of colors on the screen if you wanted to to light up the room with some soft light.  It was a lifesaver, and the basic version was great (you can pay to upgrade for me sound options, but we didn't find that to be necessary).

I can tell you that based on my experiences(inside cabins) that I have not needed white noise, which I always need normally when sleeping. The hum of the AC/fan in the room is enough for me that I don't need anything else.

While I know everyone is different, you might be surprised once in the cabin at night.  As for outlets, not many at all but I don't think they would take them from you.

Power strips are defn a no no.

NCL sent my traveling companion's luggage to the naughty room for a sound machine.  They confiscated it until the end of the cruise.  It was the plug-in type.  It kind of resembled a fan in size/shape.

Royal doesn't expressly prohibit them as far as I know, but I'm not sure that NCL does either.

12 hours ago, USCG Teacher said:

Downloaded an app from the Apple Store called Night Light which provided a nice choice and volume of white noise options AND scrolled through a series of colors on the screen if you wanted to to light up the room with some soft light.  It was a lifesaver, and the basic version was great (you can pay to upgrade for me sound options, but we didn't find that to be necessary).

This is the way to go and as @melski94 says you can be charging your iPad or iPhone at the same time so you are not wasting a plug, I also bring a USB charging block so that I can have 6 things plugged in at once and charging them.

@melmar02 and @CarlaB , neither of you have said what ship, just realize that the newer ships are more likely to have built in USB plugs as well as 110v plugs.

Bringing a sound machine takes up suite case space as well as they may not be allowed, so the APP is guarantied to be available, as @USCG Teacher says, the free APP is really all you need.

12 hours ago, twangster said:

How will two sound machines work right beside each other?

Any chance you can get them to share one and agree on the sounds?  A cruise ship cabin isn't that big...

We have a 2br grand on Liberty. The kids are in one room which has a vanity /set of plugs in it, then DH and I will use the other in the master which has another vanity/ set of plugs. We sleep with 2 fans, so the lack of noise is a huge issue when we travel, and I can't stand the white noise apps...something sounds off to me and they keep me up.

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2019 at 9:21 PM, melmar02 said:

Thanks for the advice everyone. We're driving so space isn't going to be an issue. I think we will chance it and bring them. 24 days to go!

Did you have a problem with the sound machine?  I am going on the Oasis in February and I use a loud fan to drown out my husbands snoring and loud breathing.  lol