Best luggage for traveling

I'm buying new luggage for my cruise, my carry-on no longer qualifies as the size restriction keeps getting smaller, also I'm getting a checked bag. Any recommendations is appreciated. I've looked at TravelPro, Enkloze, Briggs & Riley. I'm not affluent just want something that will last many years. I prefer hard side for checked luggage and easy access for carry-on. 

I'm a fan of Samsonite or American Tourister for being able to stand up to the abuse of travel.

I've gotten both from Ebags and they've lasted me a good long time.

I also have a carryon from the ebags brand and I think I've owned this little green piece I got for like 30 bucks for almost 10 years now and its never had an issue and its been though a TON of business travel

We  are fans of Samsonite and American Tourister as well.  We have been buying soft side luggage for over 25 plus years now  and it holds up incredibly well. And it weighs less than the hard side luggage. Every pound saved on weight is a bonus when flying.  And it is a lot easier to store under the beds in your cabin than the hard side bags.  We just had the wheels replaced on a 20 something year old Samsonite bag for a fraction of the cost of purchasing a new bag.  We used to go to the outlet stores for our luggage.   But over the past few years we have purchased our luggage at Kohl`s.  When they are on sale and then use the discount coupons which gets us the bags for about a 3rd of the retail price.  And with the soft side bags you are able to fit them into airplane overhead compartments as well.  I put my carry on into the overhead compartment and my back pack goes under my seat.  We have witnessed  way  too  many travelers over the years not being  able to get their hard side luggage into the overhead bins.  Just an FYI. 

You can get some great quality, light hard sided luggage at Amazon.  Just check the reviews.  We got one set on eBay and it was horrible.  I'll include a link to the last luggage we bought and love.  We travel a lot both for work and fun and it has held up well.  We have a big family with lots of travel so we need luggage that holds up. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016QBSAU8/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My daughter has this set and has had it for years and it has held up amazingly.

https://smile.amazon.com/Rockland-Luggage-Melbourne-Orange-Medium/dp/B004FMHO3U/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1BIGUEN9YRIWS&keywords=rockland+luggage&qid=1554509372&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=gateway&sprefix=rockland+%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-6

The airlines recommend this brand and if they break your hard sided luggage will replace it with this which holds up really well.  They broke that junk from eBay and gave us this.  It is pricey but excellent.

https://smile.amazon.com/Andare-Barcelona-Spinner-Upright-Pewter/dp/B017AD1NWS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=andare+barcelona+luggage&qid=1554509489&s=gateway&sr=8-1

57 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll look into Samsonite. Also the Amazon links.

I’m a big fan of the TravelPro Magna 2 20” spinner. I’d stay away from the hard sided ones as they get beat up fast. I’ve put my suitcase through 125-150 flights a year for the last three years and it still looks like new. And it’s covered even against airline incurred damage. Amazon usually has them for around 225 or so. 

1 minute ago, Andrew72681 said:

I’m a big fan of the TravelPro Magna 2 20” spinner. I’d stay away from the hard sided ones as they get beat up fast. I’ve put my suitcase through 125-150 flights a year for the last three years and it still looks like new. And it’s covered even against airline incurred damage. Amazon usually has them for around 225 or so. 

https://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Platinum-Magna-International-Expandable-Suitcase/dp/B00X6JROH4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=33UDQN7PKCT7J&keywords=travelpro+magna+2+21"+spinner&qid=1554517050&s=gateway&sprefix=travelpro+magna&sr=8-2

I also have a Travelpro spinner suitcase and I will never EVER go back to 2 wheeled luggage again. The 4 wheels make such a difference in being able to easily navigate with it and I love that the travelpro has this thing called magnetic wheels (I think) that basically keeps the luggage on course while you are moving with it. “Patent-pending magnetron system has self-aligning magnetic dual wheel spinners that make the bag roll straight”

The one I got is slightly cheaper than the previously linked one but still very good quality. Travelpro Crew 10 21 Inch Expandable Spinner Suiter, Black, One Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KY7C7H8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6SbQCbPN7VNTT

Thank you @Andrew72681 do you have trouble getting the carryon in the overhead bin? I'll be going on a 737 or A320. I like Travelpro myself have several pieces but they are too large for carryon now. Also looking for a hard side checked bag if anyone has suggestions?

@spiralqueen I do like the magnatrac wheels. But for a checked bag I'm going with a hard side. Having your bag tossed in the aft or forward cargo of a plane puts a lot of wear and tear on a bag. Smaller planes like a 737 or A320 don't use containers, rampers toss your bags in the cargo hold. especially when a plane arrives late. At least that's what I did when I was a ramper. 

21 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Thank you @Andrew72681 do you have trouble getting the carryon in the overhead bin? I'll be going on a 737 or A320. I like Travelpro myself have several pieces but they are too large for carryon now. Also looking for a hard side checked bag if anyone has suggestions?

@spiralqueen I do like the magnatrac wheels. But for a checked bag I'm going with a hard side. Having your bag tossed in the aft or forward cargo of a plane puts a lot of wear and tear on a bag. Smaller planes like a 737 or A320 don't use containers, rampers toss your bags in the cargo hold. especially when a plane arrives late. At least that's what I did when I was a ramper. 

No. It fits great wheels in or out. It’ll even fit on the larger side bins in CRJ700 and MD80 series planes (delta still has a bunch that fly between BWI and their hubs)

my philopsphy in life is that if the trip is less than a week I’m carrying on a bag. Last year did six days around the world DCA-LAX-ICN-HKG-CDG-LHR-IAD all in a carry on with room with souvenirs for the family and fit the amenity kits and pajamas from the flights in the suitcase. 

Just now, Andrew72681 said:

Also looking for a hard side checked bag if anyone has suggestions?

Keep in mind that hard sided bags are limited to the space they have, there’s no stretch to it. 

Wirecutter did a great review if you need more choices. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-carry-on-luggage/amp/

10 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

Keep in mind that hard sided bags are limited to the space they have, there’s no stretch to it. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-carry-on-luggage/amp/

Thanks for the link! Don't pack my checked bag full so expandability isn't an issue. The issue is my souvenirs being crushed while using a soft side luggage in the past. Just feel a hard side for checked bag is a better choice in protecting things that can break ie glass cups, bottles etc.  

30 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

I also just bought a TravelPro suitcase (carry-on model) based on the reviews from this article. Got the 22" Platinum Elite Expandable Rollaboard with a built-in USB port I can connect to my own battery brick. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DL64LFJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best part was I was able to get it with my Amazon rewards points! ? Now I'm saving up my points for the 29" expandable spinner (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAIID15/?coliid=IJXTD8QVPF0RI&colid=1C37KND8ET2EC&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it). Not a hard-sided suitcase so probably not of interest for your needs, but I've never had matching luggage and as weird as it sounds, I'd like to finally have some.

3 hours ago, 12thman said:

Thanks for the link! Don't pack my checked bag full so expandability isn't an issue. The issue is my souvenirs being crushed while using a soft side luggage in the past. Just feel a hard side for checked bag is a better choice in protecting things that can break ie glass cups, bottles etc.  

You must be way less OCD than I am ?

the hard sided case ended up scratched with other bags wheel and grease marks on them. And it’s like having a reverse fragile sticker on them, baggage handlers toss them around. 

Matter every trip when we had hard sided suitcases I’d have to scrub it down with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser to get the grease off. 

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I also just bought a TravelPro suitcase (carry-on model) based on the reviews from this article. Got the 22" Platinum Elite Expandable Rollaboard with a built-in USB port I can connect to my own battery brick. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DL64LFJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best part was I was able to get it with my Amazon rewards points! ? Now I'm saving up my points for the 29" expandable spinner (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAIID15/?coliid=IJXTD8QVPF0RI&colid=1C37KND8ET2EC&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it). Not a hard-sided suitcase so probably not of interest for your needs, but I've never had matching luggage and as weird as it sounds, I'd like to finally have some.

I love my bag. Even went out and bought the matching backpack to go with it. Which being in airports all the time leads to about every other week having a flight attendant ask me whether I’m a pilot or a a fellow flight attendant. 

17 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

You must be way less OCD than I am ?

the hard sided case ended up scratched with other bags wheel and grease marks on them. And it’s like having a reverse fragile sticker on them, baggage handlers toss them around. 

Matter every trip when we had hard sided suitcases I’d have to scrub it down with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser to get the grease off. 

Doesn't matter to me if it's all scratched as long as it protects the contents. Look at it this way, scratched bag= lots of traveling, Unblemished bag is either new or infrequent traveler. 

1 hour ago, mworkman said:

We went with Briggs & Riley due to the lifetime warrant.  Which i have used and was given a new suitcase due to damage by the airlines.

There's a store here that carries Briggs and Riley, looked at those. Which model do you have and does it roll on all surfaces well, especially thick carpet?  How easy was it to contact customer service? Were you happy with customer service?

39 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Doesn't matter to me if it's all scratched as long as it protects the contents. Look at it this way, scratched bag= lots of traveling, Unblemished bag is either new or infrequent traveler. 

If only that was true as to infrequent traveler. Last year was 100k miles in the air and about 140 nights in hotels (not counting cruises) I sometimes have to take my bag into offices with me (in cities where I’m not renting a car) so want it to look nice. 

3 hours ago, 12thman said:

There's a store here that carries Briggs and Riley, looked at those. Which model do you have and does it roll on all surfaces well, especially thick carpet?  How easy was it to contact customer service? Were you happy with customer service?

We have the Sympatico, they roll just fine.  When i had issues, i took it to one of the stores and they sent it off for possible repair, which i knew it would be replaced based on the damage.  Briggs and Riley called me for my home address and shipped a new one to the house, no question asked.

1 minute ago, mworkman said:

We have the Sympatico, they roll just fine.  When i had issues, i took it to one of the stores and they sent it off for possible repair, which i knew it would be replaced based on the damage.  Briggs and Riley called me for my home address and shipped a new one to the house, no question asked.

Thank you fore the information, read a few bad reviews on TravelPro customer service. Maybe it's time to try a different brand?

On 4/6/2019 at 10:17 AM, mworkman said:

We went with Briggs & Riley due to the lifetime warrant.  Which i have used and was given a new suitcase due to damage by the airlines.

I have the TORQ and love it, also bought it for the same reason, lifetime warranty. I had some of their soft-sided luggage that I had bought years ago, and when weight restriction came in to play I weighed my big checked roller and it was 15+ pounds, so I needed something lighter but just as durable so I went back to Briggs and Riley, I have no complaints.

To answer your question of rolling on carpet, if I over load it, usually right at the 50# limit or over, I have problems on really thick carpet, hotel lobby's, hallways and room carpet is no issues on 2 or 4 wheels.

As far as the scuffs, yes it scuffs, where I live I'm usually always on a 737, MD-80, A319, 320 or 321, so It's always just getting thrown in the hold, but the scuffs started me collecting something else, every port we cruise to we now collect stickers, the stickers go on my bag, it's starting to look like an old time suite case with all of the stickers, it also makes it unique so I never have a problem picking it out, even though I don't remember ever seeing another TORQ bag, FYI, this is not a 50/50 split on the halves of the suite case it is I believe what they call an 80/20, I use the smaller upper half as my garment bag for my suite coat and shirts, it also has an expandable zipper if I buy to may souvenirs, which BTW, nothing has ever gotten broken.

Just ordered and received a 28" Tag hardside lightweight luggage for my next trip. It's light (9lbs) and has an expandable zipper option. I don't have to pack a lot but I plan on bringing a lot home and need it to fit.  I ordered from Macy's and got for $56. Had been looking for a while and this was half of what I expected to spend.