Royal Caribbean Blog

Symphony LIVE with Joe - B2B around the Med!

3 hours ago, Joe01 said:

I'll be onboard this time in 7 days! :1_grinning:

Does anyone have any tips on how to provide photos on the live blog? Secondly, does Periscope cost when abroad?

@twangster @JLMoran @CGTLH 🙂

For periscope help @CruisingKat(Kathy) And have you joined the RC Periscopers FB group? That is run by @CruisingKat(Kathy) and you can also post your periscope questions there. Or PM Kathy. She's great with helping! Also get yourself added to the July Periscopers list so people will know you are scoping 🙂

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been waiting for a while. Sometimes, I wondered if I would ever get there. Watching everything about the Symphony launching while I was stuck doing a lot of work that I hate and working through t

Matt says: "Please no. The servers can't take it". 

In all my years of following live blogs, I have never, here or anywhere else, come across a disruption such as this, in someone's live blog.  A live blog is one's personal account of their vacation. 

5 hours ago, Joe01 said:

I'll be onboard this time in 7 days! :1_grinning:

Does anyone have any tips on how to provide photos on the live blog? Secondly, does Periscope cost when abroad?

For posting pictures taken on my phone (S8+, Android) I'll resize them using either "Image Size" or "Photo & Picture Resizer". If it is something taken from a camera, I dump into Adobe Lightroom and it is resized when exporting based on a created profile.

From that point is it just clicking "Click to choose files" on my phone or drag and drop from my laptop.

@Joe01, I also use the “Image Size” app on my iPhone before posting to the blog. Make the shorter dimension 900 pixels and you’re good to go; not a big image for bandwidth, but still very good resolution for live blogs.

That app also has a basic text tool I use for watermarking, although big images like panoramics tend to make the app crash when editing the text. For those huge images, I’ll use the app “Snapseed” from Google; that app also has a bunch of nice tools that the stock photo apps don’t include, sort of a Photoshop/Lightroom Lite.

Thanks all for the comments!
Cannot wait for boarding the ship alongside the Sailaway Party from Barcelona. Hope to recreate this scene from my favorite movie of recent times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjQfrxNJNNA

This will be the first time in several cruises that I will visit the gym. Wish me luck!

Will also be attending many Cruise Director activities, with my ambition to become one myself. Afternoons spent at the Waterslides as well.

The Cruise Director in me made sure to check with Royal Caribbean regarding the theme nights on Symphony. Below is they told me would be included:
'Symphony hosts an 80's Party, White Party, 50's & 60's Party, and a Latin Fiesta.'

What do you make of those entertainment options? I'm definitely going to the 80's night. I might give the 50's & 60's party another try, although it was terrible on Harmony. No idea what the White Party and Latin Fiesta are.

The Entertainment and Activities on the Oasis Class ships are fantastic. Any recommendations for shows or activities to see/do? 

4 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Almost packed! Isn't packing for a 2 week vacation so stressful? Especially when you are with other people.

6.30am flight tomorrow! :3_grin:

Are you actually packing 2 weeks of clothing, or will you spend the money on laundry service for at least some of that?

Have a safe flight!

Just now, JLMoran said:

Are you actually packing 2 weeks of clothing, or will you spend the money on laundry service for at least some of that?

Have a safe flight!

Probably about 2 weeks of clothes. It's not the packing that I find stressful, it's dealing with people alongside making sure that the house is clean and everything is turned off. The joys of OCD.

On 6/27/2018 at 3:14 PM, Joe01 said:

The Cruise Director in me made sure to check with Royal Caribbean regarding the theme nights on Symphony. Below is they told me would be included:
'Symphony hosts an 80's Party, White Party, 50's & 60's Party, and a Latin Fiesta.'

What do you make of those entertainment options? I'm definitely going to the 80's night. I might give the 50's & 60's party another try, although it was terrible on Harmony. No idea what the White Party and Latin Fiesta are.

The Entertainment and Activities on the Oasis Class ships are fantastic. Any recommendations for shows or activities to see/do? 

Pretty sure white party is where all guests and crew dress in something white. 

DAY 1 RECAP:

Hello all - had a great first day! Not over yet.

We boarded the ship around 11am. She really looks spectacular. Eventually went to the Windjammer for some lunch. Later on, we got into the Staterooms around 1pm.

We have a Boardwalk Balcony with a view of the Abyss and AquaTheater. It's a great cabin although with the World Cup :3_grin: playing in Playmaker's, it is a bit noisy. I am probably the only guy in the whole of Scotland that hates football and wishes the world cup wouldn't be on ships, but maybe that's just me.

Muster was at 4.45pm. We had it in Studio B. Brandon from the Ice Cast was the main leader of it. Captain Rob was about to dismiss us when there was an Alpha call. That's terrible to hear. Hope the person was OK. I was on AN when the child drowned and remember the very Alpha call of that incident, so they do freak me out each time I hear one.

Post Muster, I went to the Sailaway Party. Margot (Activities Manager) hosted it alongside the Cruise Staff, Youth Staff and Sports Staff. They did a fantastic job. Very fun party. I stayed in the shade so didn't dance, but it was very enjoyable nonetheless.

Following Sailaway, I briefly felt unwell, but was OK to go to the WJ for dinner. It was great. I then went around the ship before going to the Hot Tub. Now back in the cabin after Sorrento's.

For anyone curious:

Captain - Rob Hempstead (USA)

Hotel Director - Fernando Jorge (Portugal)

Chief Engineer - Ivo Marenic (Croatia)

Cruise Director - Michele Scarpato (Italy)

Activities Manager - Margot van Erck (Netherlands)

One final note to make is that Michele seems like a great CD. Not met him yet but already think that he is 100x better than Bobby Brown.

Any questions?

9 hours ago, Ray said:

Just remember joe in your own words on CC while on harmony cruise you actually liked BB , it was only after watching videos on YouTube after returning home you got a dislike for him. So may be same again here!!! 

If you are going to make such comments throughout the rest of my review, please unsubscribe. I'm trying to enjoy my vacation alongside providing something constructive to the boards. Mind your own business and don't drag up comments from a year ago.

FYI - I had BB twice and didn't care for him the first time either.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

How are you enjoying the room? Do you find the Abyss to get in the way of your view? Your comment about the noise is not the first I've heard of. I've never been brave enough to book one of these for that reason. 

It's a great room. Nice view. I don't mind the Abyss, but it is an obstruction on the view of the AquaTheater. I can still watch the Aqua Shows from the balcony though. There is some noise, but that's OK. However, Playmakers is loud when there is a world cup match.

7 hours ago, Joe01 said:

If you are going to make such comments throughout the rest of my review, please unsubscribe. I'm trying to enjoy my vacation alongside providing something constructive to the boards. Mind your own business and don't drag up comments from a year ago.

FYI - I had BB twice and didn't care for him the first time either.

Your constant critism of a certain person is not constructive in fact it could be classed as harassment or if in a place of work bullying. 

You've made your point you don't like him you don't have to bring it up every chance you get, and as stated I was only going by your comments, let other people make up their own minds without your constant barrage of abuse at BB

17 minutes ago, Ray said:

Your constant critism of a certain person is not constructive in fact it could be classed as harassment or if in a place of work bullying. 

You've made your point you don't like him you don't have to bring it up every chance you get, and as stated I was only going by your comments, let other people make up their own minds without your constant barrage of abuse at BB

I don't believe the OP has done anything but express a dislike for a certain Cruise Director's style/approach.  There's nothing wrong with mentioning that, so long as there is no use of profanity, personal insults or anything else abusive.

Based on what I've read in this thread, there's nothing abusive going on here.  

If you feel there is an issue, please feel free to reach out to me or another admin and we can look into it. Thanks.

In all my years of following live blogs, I have never, here or anywhere else, come across a disruption such as this, in someone's live blog.  A live blog is one's personal account of their vacation.  It takes time, effort, commitment, funds (for VOOM) to put one together.  We all have differing viewpoints.  That's what makes the world go around.  However, let's show @Joe01 some respect by allowing him to continue his live blog without whatever this is.    

15 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

In all my years of following live blogs, I have never, here or anywhere else, come across a disruption such as this in someone's live blog.  A live blog is one's personal account of their vacation.  It takes time, effort, commitment, funds (for VOOM) to put one together.  We all have differing viewpoints.  That's what makes the world go around.  However, let's show @Joe01 some respect by allowing him to continue his live blog without whatever this is.    

Thanks @Lovetocruise2002. I would like to think that I am providing something constructive to this forum by doing this live blog. People who don't like it can read another thread. I'm giving up my vacation time to do this.

Let's get back on track. All are welcome to join provided that interactions are kept friendly, as this blog usually is. Much appreciated, Joe! :95_v:

Just been to the gym. I guess that is where forever single people like myself spend a lot of their day. I am not used to working out on a ship. Symphony has a fantastic gym facility though. I recommend it if you are not looking to gain a stone over a cruise.

Captain Rob is doing his Welcome Aboard reception tonight. I don't do formal on cruises, but will try to come along so I can see him in person. I've heard that he is a great Captain. I've had the pleasure of sailing with Captain Johnny on Allure and he set the bar high in terms of Captains. Captain Gus on Harmony was also very jovial. It will be cool to have an American Captain. I wonder if we will ever see one from the UK. 

Dinner at Windjammer as usual. Not sure what else I will do tonight. Planning to stay up as late as possible. Getting off ship tomorrow in Marseilles as I am in need of practicing my French. 

As Michele says, Ciao Ciao for now!