Jump to content

Adventure OTS With No Blog


 Share

Recommended Posts

Will be boarding Adventure later this month.  I do not have the photography or technical skills of @JLMoran  or @twangster  and I certainly do not have the patience of @Lovetocruise2002 . What I do have in common with  @Lovetocruise2002 is that all I want to do this cruise is eat and relax. Bottom line is that I am lazy, although, having worked since I was 12, I earned that right!

Soooo…I will not be blogging, but I will be happy to compile a list of questions you may have, try to find the answers and then report back to you. Stopping at Port Canaveral (doing the Royal Pontoon Lagoon excursion), then CocoCay and then Nassau (doing the Royal Pearl Island with lunch excursion)....see....all lazy!?  Ask away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you can just check that the GS have been refurbished. Other websites say yes and others say no.  Also be curious about the WJ food, saw some very negative reviews. (I'm not a foodie so it may be a moot point) but would be curious!

I hope you have a fabulous time!! We are leaving in 4 days!! Doing the Happy Dance!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

If you can just check that the GS have been refurbished. Other websites say yes and others say no.  Also be curious about the WJ food, saw some very negative reviews. (I'm not a foodie so it may be a moot point) but would be curious!

I hope you have a fabulous time!! We are leaving in 4 days!! Doing the Happy Dance!!

Are you on periscope?  I just watched a scope last night of AOS GS.  If I can find the link, it will come back and attach it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boarding Adventure next week. 

Taking a red eye and doing what I never do - boarding the day of the cruise.  Booked airfare through Air2Sea and thankfully my complimentary upgrades to first class just cleared yesterday.  Gotta love Delta.

Plus @JLMoran my 'Moment' filter adapter was delivered today.  It's waiting for me to return home from yet another trip to NJ.   I've got a really nice B&H CPL left over my crop sensor days to try on it next week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Lovetocruise2002 thank you! Looks very nice! (except the dreaded shower curtain!) LOL.  It's funny I saw on another group, pictures of the actual cabin we are in on Grandeur and it says "Bangkok Suite"  I guess they all don't have names.  I'll wait for @twangster to blog to see everything up close and personal. Have another 14 months till we board her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Boston Babe said:

@Lovetocruise2002 thank you! Looks very nice! (except the dreaded shower curtain!) LOL.  It's funny I saw on another group, pictures of the actual cabin we are in on Grandeur and it says "Bangkok Suite"  I guess they all don't have names.  I'll wait for @twangster to blog to see everything up close and personal. Have another 14 months till we board her.

Shower curtain tip - let the water fly, then mop it up with a towel.  The bathroom is waterproof, so I didn't bother using the shower curtain on Grandeur. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Skid said:

Will be boarding Adventure later this month.  I do not have the photography or technical skills of @JLMoran  or @twangster  and I certainly do not have the patience of @Lovetocruise2002 . What I do have in common with  @Lovetocruise2002 is that all I want to do this cruise is eat and relax. Bottom line is that I am lazy, although, having worked since I was 12, I earned that right!

Soooo…I will not be blogging, but I will be happy to compile a list of questions you may have, try to find the answers and then report back to you. Stopping at Port Canaveral (doing the Royal Pontoon Lagoon excursion), then CocoCay and then Nassau (doing the Royal Pearl Island with lunch excursion)....see....all lazy!?  Ask away.

Later this month meaning May 11 or May 18?  We're on May 18! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2018 at 1:36 PM, twangster said:

Shower curtain tip - let the water fly, then mop it up with a towel.  The bathroom is waterproof, so I didn't bother using the shower curtain on Grandeur. 

Adventure has the round, hard plastic doors and not shower curtains.  

I hate those skin-sucking curtains. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

First off...even though the weather is not really cooperating, this may be our most fun cruise yet. This is the best crew we've seen....Every single crew member is amazingly friendly and helpful. Hotel Director Bill Downey has been all over the ship and it is so obvious that he truly loves his job. His enthusiasm definitely trickles down to everyone.

CD Chris Brown and AM Magic Marvin Wilson are the best team we have seen since Abe Hughes and Chris Hopkins. I think Marvin will be the next great CD. And now presenting...the highlight of the CD staff.... Fernanda from Mexico! This magnificent young lady is nothing short of an entertainment machine AND the nicest, friendliest person you can ever want to meet. They had the Disco Inferno 70's show last night (excellent show--sorry JOE01). Everyone was great, but Fernanda "rocked the boat".

On 5/1/2018 at 11:36 AM, Boston Babe said:

If you can just check that the GS have been refurbished. Other websites say yes and others say no.  Also be curious about the WJ food, saw some very negative reviews. (I'm not a foodie so it may be a moot point) but would be curious!

I hope you have a fabulous time!! We are leaving in 4 days!! Doing the Happy Dance!!

On 5/1/2018 at 12:35 PM, greenline627 said:

Yes would be interested in the GS question.

 

According to Hotel Director Bill, MOST of the suites got new carpets and drapes during the last dry dock. Bedding stayed on the rotating schedule they always had, so some suites have brand new, while others may not. We are not in a suite, but FYI our OV hump balcony cabin did get new bedding and our mattress is VERY comfortable to us.... mattresses, like food, are subjective.

Windjammer: no issues there. Crowded, of course, but food (again, subjective) is fine and fresh. We've been in MDR each night for dinner and have enjoyed food and service there also. If any issue at all, it is that MDR entrees end up at the table warm, not steaming hot. Ok, though. Will be doing Chops Lunch on Thursday.

On 5/1/2018 at 4:01 PM, KathyC said:

Later this month meaning May 11 or May 18?  We're on May 18! 

Kathy, I am already jealous that we are getting off in Friday, and you will be first staring your vacation. Have an awesome time!

 

On 5/2/2018 at 8:37 PM, mpoole3 said:

See you on board!!!

Are you on Adventure now, doing a B2B from your time here on the 5th repositioning or were you talking about Grandeur???

On 5/1/2018 at 5:13 PM, Big Daddy said:

Interested in an update on the Coco Cay Pier. Wondering if it will be ready for the Fall

DW wasn't sure about going with the weather being what is, but I think I have convinced her. Either way, I will try to get some information today.

Other quick tidbits:

WiFi cuts out about 20 times a day...but have never needed to re-enter the password...just need to click WiFi and it comes right back. No issues getting it anywhere on the ship so far.

We are on day 4 and have not seen a drink card offer yet. Specialty coffee card on board is 15 for $31.

Despite what I have read previously, we have had no annoying hardsell attempts at all for spa, specialty restaurants, etc. Reps are certainly all around if you want help, but have not been pestering or bothersome.

Dropped off our luggage at Bayonne Port at about 10:30, parked at the garage, checked in and was on board and eating in WJ by 11:15. Easy peasie! WJ was pretty much epmty when we got there and packed by 11:30. 

And of ultimate importance....pizza is better than last year. Certainly not the best, but very edible. Other items in Cafe Promenade are really good.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Skid said:

And of ultimate importance....pizza is better than last year. Certainly not the best, but very edible.

We're talking Sorrentos, or the offerings in the Windjammer? I'd certainly hope that pizza was improved on ships that sail out of NY / NJ! We've got a reputation to uphold! ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

We're talking Sorrentos, or the offerings in the Windjammer? I'd certainly hope that pizza was improved on ships that sail out of NY / NJ! We've got a reputation to uphold! ?

No Sorrento's here--Windjammer and Promenade Cafe. Nope, not NY quality, but improved and OK.

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

thanks so much @Skid!  You sound like you have a having a ball! I've read so many fantastic reviews about AOS, I may have consider a 2020 cruise on her too!!

ENJOY!! Keep us posted!

This is our second time on Adventure. We love Voyager Class. I'm sure you will also. We have been on Anthem but, we have never sailed Oasis Class---we are booked for next May on Symphony.

 

On 5/1/2018 at 5:13 PM, Big Daddy said:

Interested in an update on the Coco Cay Pier. Wondering if it will be ready for the Fall

According to an officer on CocoCay, new dock is currently scheduled for opening at the end of October. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Skid said:

 CD Chris Brown and AM Magic Marvin Wilson are the best team we have seen since Abe Hughes and Chris Hopkins. I think Marvin will be the next great CD. And now presenting...the highlight of the CD staff.... Fernanda from Mexico! This magnificent young lady is nothing short of an entertainment machine AND the nicest, friendliest person you can ever want to meet. They had the Disco Inferno 70's show last night (excellent show--sorry JOE01). Everyone was great, but Fernanda "rocked the boat".

 

Glad to hear that Chris & Marvin are a dynamic duo. Improvement over Casey? This is actually the first contract for Chris as CD outside the Asia & Australia markets, so I am pleased that he is being well-received in the Western hemisphere. Already knew that Marvin was a great AM, who should be made CD soon.

BTW - I love the 70's night. It's the 50's and 60's night that I dislike.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some updates:

1. CD Chris did a fine job with the Love & Marriage show.

2. Even if the pizza, as decent as it is, isn't NY quality, the food at Chops Grill is. We bought the lunch during a cruise planner sale for a mere $17.60 each. Didn't know it at the time, but it turns out that it the price even included the 18% gratuity (we left extra anyway). Included were unlimited appetizers and desserts and one entree. Filet mignon and red velvet cake were fabulous. Shrimp cocktail, soup, asparagus, tater tots, mac&cheese were all great. Amazing meal for under $20. What were the odds that there were only 3 other couples in there with us?

3. I asked about extra tipping: Head waiter said that Royal has not changed their policy YET....wait staff can keep any extra tips they get. He said that as far as he knows NCL now forces extra tips to be turned in and shared. On the other hand, cabin steward said that all extra tips received are shared with "team members"... the folks that help with linens, help the stewards, etc.

4. Have heard several people talking about what I said yesterday...this is maybe the best crew at sea. Everyone so happy and helpful.

5. Last night's show was an Eagles tribute band called The Long Run.

F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S. -not to be missed if you get a chance to see them.

6. Formal night and Quest tonight. Looking forward to seeing how CD Chris handles that.

That's it for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Interested to see your opinions. 

Booked Adventure for next October (yes a lot can change I know). Will be on her for an 8-nighter (that goes over Halloween). 

You will love this ship. You will have a different entertainment staff by then and probably a whole different crew, but I have no doubt your cruise will be awesome, especially over Halloween! CD Chris and AM Marvin's contracts are for 4 months, so they should be moving on around September.

As for some last day (?) uddates:

Chris and Marvin were great at the Quest. I always love seeing the reactions to this game by those who have never seen it before. Hilarious!

I was amazed to find out that CD Chris is only 33 years old. WOW!! He is truly wise beyond his years.

They finally put the drink card on sale, but waited until day 7. Ten drinks for $75 and card may be shared. They also put together an internet sale----60 minutes for $10. Great for those who may need to go to the internet cafe to check in on line with their airlines.

Next up cruise wise is Symphony in ONLY 366 days. Some land vacations in between (a June getaway to one of our favorite hotels in Jamaica and DW going on a girls trip with her sisters and our daughters in July to Antigua---sure, leave me home!-hehe). We are also hoping for something for a family trip in November.

So...last chance for any questions and thanks for reading all this stuff that I originally said I wasn't going to write. But that's OK, because as I type this on my balcony enjoying a late breakfast, I am being true to my goal of being lazy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Skid said:

You will love this ship. You will have a different entertainment staff by then and probably a whole different crew, but I have no doubt your cruise will be awesome, especially over Halloween! CD Chris and AM Marvin's contracts are for 4 months, so they should be moving on around September.

As for some last day (?) uddates:

Chris and Marvin were great at the Quest. I always love seeing the reactions to this game by those who have never seen it before. Hilarious!

 I was amazed to find out that CD Chris is only 33 years old. WOW!! He is truly wise beyond his years.

Next up cruise wise is Symphony in ONLY 366 days. Some land vacations in between (a June getaway to one of our favorite hotels in Jamaica and DW going on a girls trip with her sisters and our daughters in July to Antigua---sure, leave me home!-hehe). We are also hoping for something for a family trip in November.

Chris is moving to Anthem in July. Marvin will probably be around until August/September. 33 is also pretty young for a CD, although quite a few are a similar age. Wish that they had some below 30 - Younger CD's are usually better.

Enjoyed your blog and have fun on the Symphony when it comes! First Oasis Class?

Edited by Joe01
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Skid said:

So...last chance for any questions and thanks for reading all this stuff that I originally said I wasn't going to write. But that's OK, because as I type this on my balcony enjoying a late breakfast, I am being true to my goal of being lazy!

Loved following this "non Blog"! Can't wait to sail on her to NE/Canada next July for our 25th Anniversary! (who doesn't want to spend their anniversary in the Bay of Fundy! LOL).

Thanks so much @Skid! Really enjoyed all your updates!
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Enjoyed your blog and have fun on the Symphony when it comes! First Oasis Class?

Yes, Joe, Symphony will be our first time on Oasis class. 

OK, a plea to everyone. Went to Windjammer the other night for Caribbean theme. There were about 30 people on line at the section of the buffet we wanted. I counted 12 of them either eating whatever was already on their plate or LICKING THEIR FINGERS while waiting on line! I am not the biggest germaphobe but we left and went back to the MDR. 12 out of 30? Really? Come on folks. PLEASE HAVE SOME MANNERS AND COMMON SENSE!

Just not to end on a negative note, this has been one of our best cruises yet, even despite 2 days of clouds/rain. 

BTW, about 800 kids on this sailing, probably because Port Canaveral (Disney) was first stop. Mostly young children as oppose to teenagers. Most are adorable and happy. No issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@Skid, I almost forgot to ask...What did you end up doing in Port Canaveral?  

We did a pontoon lagoon excursion. So basically we got off a ship and on to a boat! Spotted a bunch of dolphins, birds, etc but unfortunately no manatees. It was fun. Turned out that was one of days it rained so we all got pretty wet. All part of the adventure I say. We wouldn't have had enough time at NASA and may just make that our November family trip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the way you think, I even bought a t-shirt that Says "Eat, Sleep, Cruise,  Repeat"

I was just on the Adventure last week when it repositioned from San Juan to New Jersey.  An absolutely beautiful Ship, Crew was fabulous. Solarium area is perfect for relaxing

 

Have a great cruise

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are home--?. Here are the menus for those interested. At some point I will try to get the Cruise Compasses scanned and sent to Matt.

Dinner and service were fine, but we are not fans of ordering appetizer, entree and desserts all together at the beginning (new this year). Also like last year better when the servers came around with rolls instead of having a basket on the table when you come in.

As stated earlier, only issue was that entrees never arrived steaming hot. Warm enough, but not hot. On the other hand, Chops Grill lunch was GREAT. Will probably go there for dinner on next cruise. I added the Chops Grill lunch menu below.

menu-nite  1.jpg

menu-nite  2.jpg

menu-nite  3.jpg

menu-nite 4.jpg

menu-nite 5.jpg

menu-nite 6.jpg

menu-nite 7.jpg

 

Chops Grill Lunch.jpg

Chps_Grill_Lunch_Desserts.jpg

Chps_Grill_Lunch.jpg

Edited by Skid
Added comments and Chops Grill lunch menus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...