The Eclipse ...

WAYNO

We have an off grid camp that was smack dab in the middle of the path. 

It took some work to get there because it’s very isolated, way in the woods and still winter, but we made it.  20 miles off the tar road and we were able to get within a half mile of camp.  Thank goodness for 4wd, good tires, self recovery equipment, and the fact that the road had been plowed a few times this winter for logging…..and also for one of our kids who suggested we get eclipse glasses six months ago. 

Unlike most people in the state, we were totally alone when we saw it.   It’s the first eclipse we’ve seen in our 55 years. 

It was neat to hear coyotes yipping and geese honking when the sun was covered.  All the birds went silent, too. 

In the negative column was the drive home.  A 3-1/2 to 4 hour drive took us just under 9 hours.   We saw plates from 32 different states.  

IMG_9090.jpeg

IMG_9092.jpeg

IMG_9095.jpeg

IMG_9100.jpeg

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Wow, Teddy…what an awesome opportunity.  Sounds like you guys are really in the boonies.  Will be a good place to hide out from the demons who came/come through the vortex. 😂😜

lol

Yea, our camp is way out there...quite removed from things, including cell service (which we like).

We weren't sure if we were going to be able to get in this past weekend.  With the early spring, the lakes aren't safe to take snowmobiles across but the roads could have had too much snow to get a truck down.  Our timing was excellent, because with the melting yesterday and today along with the rain coming tomorrow, Mud Season will slam into us.  The roads won't be passable for a month or so.

Because we live in Southern Ontario, it was an easy 30 min drive a bit further south for us to Colchester Beach. We saw 90 seconds of totality. It was stunning, unlike anything I have ever seen. For once, I have no pictures to share because the 4 of us wanted to just soak in all 90 seconds of that beauty. But here is one of Hubby before totality, and one just before totality. It wasn’t a cruise, but it sure was an awesome day! It could only have been better if I was seeing it from the suite sundeck somewhere 🙂
IMG_0746.thumb.jpeg.bd5da4b1fa07057e2b0ba6599ae9b491.jpeg

IMG_0747.thumb.jpeg.92ac4a5d156ab9737c59857f4aae90b3.jpeg

After reading @Lovetocruise2002’s reply, I realized we lumped Canadian provinces into the count of different license plates (my wife holds dual Canadian/US citizenship and our camp is only a few miles from the ME/Quebec border anyway).

Corrected version….we saw license plates from 29 states and three provinces.  🙂

Well, here in NC the eclipse was not so much. Temperature dropped, shadows got long, birds were quiet and there was a run on the grocery store. They ran out of bread, eggs and beer. Kind of like what happens when a hurricane is coming. Today folks are asking, where are the day after eclipse sales? Amazing how mother nature messes with folks! 😎

10 hours ago, rjac said:

Well, here in NC the eclipse was not so much.

Of course, in Greenville the peak was only 79.8% and y'all had 77.9% in New Bern. Best description - an otherwise bright sunny day turned into partly cloudy for about ten minutes.

20 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Because we live in Southern Ontario, it was an easy 30 min drive a bit further south for us to Colchester Beach. We saw 90 seconds of totality. It was stunning, unlike anything I have ever seen. For once, I have no pictures to share because the 4 of us wanted to just soak in all 90 seconds of that beauty.

Same story here.  We had a slightly longer 5 1/2 hour drive from Central NJ to Ausable Chasm, NY to see it, but the 3 1/2 minutes of totality was absolutely indescribable.  I got one picture (which doesn't remotely do what was happening justice), then we all just soaked it in.  Luckily we stayed in Plattsburgh, NY the night before and after the event, so when it was over we got to go north a few miles while the rest of humanity went south on I-87.  It was a good choice!

20240408_152836.jpg

20240408_114353.jpg

20240408_143344.jpg